Report UFC’s Fight Pass has 400,000 subscribers

That is a very considerable figure.

Like you said, they also have exclusive fight pass content that comes out of that 30 - 40 mill. including a couple of entire events that they put entirely on Fight pass. Plus they got several programs that they make... & you can only watch them on fight pass. They have a dedicated tech support line & I'm sure a webdesigner. I'm not sure what the cost of their streaming service or equipment is... but that could get costly. So there is a considerable bit of expense that comes along with that.

Couldn't imagine it costing even half of that figure though. Maybe not even a quarter of that.... so that is some sweet profit. Would be interesting to know what their expenses are for running fight pass & creating exclusive content.

It is safe to say they most likely make $25m at the end of everything
But accounting can be strange
Does fighter pay come out of that or gate, etc.?
But truth is, UFC makes prob over 50% off Fight Pass than WWE profited in 2017

That is a very considerable figure.

Like you said, they also have exclusive fight pass content that comes out of that 30 - 40 mill. including a couple of entire events that they put entirely on Fight pass. Plus they got several programs that they make... & you can only watch them on fight pass. They have a dedicated tech support line & I'm sure a webdesigner. I'm not sure what the cost of their streaming service or equipment is... but that could get costly. So there is a considerable bit of expense that comes along with that.

Couldn't imagine it costing even half of that figure though. Maybe not even a quarter of that.... so that is some sweet profit. Would be interesting to know what their expenses are for running fight pass & creating exclusive content.

If they are using Azure or AWS or Google cloud for fight pass then their operating cost will be much lower than running & maintaining their own servers.

It is safe to say they most likely make $25m at the end of everything
But accounting can be strange
Does fighter pay come out of that or gate, etc.?
But truth is, UFC makes prob over 50% off Fight Pass than WWE profited in 2017

Wow, that's a hell of a stat on WWE profit.

When they put an event exclusively on fight pass... I got to think that ALL the costs for that event come out of the fight pass budget imo. Fighter pay, staff, flights, hotels, venue cost etc... Everything. To your point... those costs are offset by such things as gate... & sponsors.... I would also throw in merchandise sales from the event. Any profit made from that event would offset the cost of putting on the event.

I wonder how it works out.... but fight pass put on 5 events last year... plus the contender series.... so they must not be doing too bad on it.

Fight Pass exclusive events in 2017

http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-shanghai-nov-25-2017
http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-poland-2017
http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-rotterdam-2017
http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-singapore-2017
http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-london-2017

The Holm vs. Correira fight seemed to be at the upper end of the salary scale... so I did some quick figures... keeping in mind that the salaries are only estimates since overseas fight commissions don't require them to report salaries.
Fighter Salaries = $1,267,000 (not counting rebok money)
Gate = $839,300

Manawa vs. Anderson
Fighter Salaries = $745,000
Gate = $2,015,77

So these 2 cards show a very different look at Gate vs. Fighter salaries.
@FrankieNYC do you know how much the UFC makes from its sponsors? or perhaps how much it makes from its merchandise sales per event? I know it's a long shot... but I tried finding some info on it, but came up short. I found something saying Monster shelled out 7 mill for a multi-year deal... but it didn't say how many years. You gotta think Harley & Bud light are on that level as well.

I dunno... I was just geeking out a little bit trying to wrap my head around what it costs them to put on a fight pass event vs. what they get... but it's probably about impossible to know with a lot of the detailz not available.

So these 2 cards show a very different look at Gate vs. Fighter salaries.
@FrankieNYC do you know how much the UFC makes from its sponsors? or perhaps how much it makes from its merchandise sales per event?

No, but I have some big news coming in 10 minutes
Stay online

I only cancelled my membership recently. I had it since launch and got to re-watch a lot of old favorite fights. Was also nice to watch some of the other org stuff that I had never gotten an opportunity to see.

At this point I am pretty much caught up. One thing I do have to say, its a serious pain in the ass to cancel.

That’s a ton of money a year that they barely have to do anything for.

And people act like they’re full of shit when they say they just had their best year ever. MayMac and fight pass alone made them a ton of money last year.

Doesn't matter, they are making money with chump shit

When the main revenue is ppv it's a better product

Ive been paying for it since launch. All i really use it for is to watch the pre prelims. There needs to be more exclusive fights on it. I rarely use it for the fight library except to watch fights when i work out.

But........But.......the UFC is dying.

they should thank conor and ronda for these figures

most are casuals catching up on the sport :)

TV is dead. Just ask Hillary and Jeb(!) Bush, who had complete control over the main stream media but did not have control over teh interwebz, teh 4Chan, teh Twitter machine and teh Alex Jones.

Growth rate isn't good, the product is user unfriendly, so I'd guess Amazon sees potential for improvement.

400k is not a lot. I don't get where the spin that that is good comes from. Particularly if it had 350k subs at time of the sale, and has only grown 50k in almost 2 years. The profit is not super high either. I mean it's high when you consider that the UFCs entire business plan is built around paying the fighters as little as anyone could get away with, that you make a profit regardless of how little income comes in. The monetary figures aren't that impressive either.

MMA media is a joke and shills gonna shill I guess.

Pretty good number. I believe WWE need 1 million subs to break even from what they would get on PPV.

If UFC has 400 for essentially just archives, I could see 2 million subs if they added PPV.

If they are using Azure or AWS or Google cloud for fight pass then their operating cost will be much lower than running & maintaining their own servers.

Fight Pass / UFC.tv is streamed by NeuLion and has been since launch.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/neulion-ufc-r-sign-multi-113000656.html

Launch was a mess and they had a lot of wacky security vulnerabilities out of the gate, like storing passwords in plain text. Over time that got squared away and likely the back end was migrated entirely to NeuLion.

There would have been a substantial cost upfront when they created apps for iOS, Android, X-Box, Roku, Firestick, Apple TV and Chromecast, with a lesser but on-going expense keeping them updated. Software engineers are expensive, and these are all discrete native apps with their own SDKs.

Some of it was likely NeuLion boilerplate that got re-skinned, some of it is from scratch.

In any event, you cannot maintain a system with 400,000 users of which a substantial portion are streaming live video at once, without a substantial expense. The data stores cost money, the CDN costs money, the bandwidth costs money. NeuLion is taking a large chuck of dough for this.

That’s a ton of money a year that they barely have to do anything for.

And people act like they’re full of shit when they say they just had their best year ever. MayMac and fight pass alone made them a ton of money last year.

The UFC isn't May/mac

If the owner of my fav Basketball team owns a Cable company do I cheer for my team when the cable company does well?

Read into this what you will ...

NeuLion Agrees To Be Acquired By Endeavor In $250M, All-Cash Deal
NeuLion Agrees To Be Acquired By Endeavor In $250M, All-Cash Deal
March 26, 2018

NeuLion has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by Endeavor in an all-cash deal valued at approximately $250M. Upon completion of the transaction, NeuLion will become a privately held subsidiary of Endeavor. The transaction is expected to close in Q2. Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP served as Endeavor’s legal counsel, while The Raine Group acted as financial advisor to Endeavor. NeuLion’s legal advisor is Loeb & Loeb LLP, and its financial advisor is Needham & Co. (NeuLion). BNN.ca's Ian Vandaelle notes NeuLion has "faced a number of headwinds in recent years, notably pressure on revenue from the loss" of the NHL as a digital media partner. The NHL "dropped NeuLion in favor of a digital rights partnership" with MLBAM spanning six years. NeuLion’s "total revenue in the most recent quarter" fell 8% from a year ago. The outright sale of the entire company "comes three months after NeuLion announced it was selling some non-core assets to an affiliate of Fortress Investment Group" for $41.5M (BNN.ca, 3/26). Octagon Media Rights Consulting Senior VP Daniel Cohen tweeted this deal will make it so that UFC, PBR and Fashion Week, along with Endeavor's other properties, will "get a direct-to-consumer overhaul." He added UFC's "Fight Pass" is "already" at more than 400,000 subscribers and UFC is "currently seeking [a] hefty" media-rights fee increase (TWITTER.com, 3/26). At presstime, NeuLion shares were trading at $1.06, up 112% from the close of business on Friday (THE DAILY).

Back