Report: Silva wants a rematch on Super Bowl Saturday.

i hope its true... i predict an extremely motivated and violent anderson silva to show up... bad news for weidman

No, Weidman is obviously the better striker and all of Silva's wins are a fluke, haven't you been reading sherdog since saturday night?

I have a feeling Dana isn't going to want to risk the money maker that is The Weidster vs Silva II.

In the post fight presser and media scrum he was super adamant that Silva will be The Weidsters next fight regardless.

I vote now that calling Weidman "the Weidster" should be grounds for dubs.

That was a shitty Rob Schneider sketch back in the 90s, don't bring it back.

I have a feeling Dana isn't going to want to risk the money maker that is The Weidster vs Silva II.

In the post fight presser and media scrum he was super adamant that Silva will be The Weidsters next fight regardless.

I can imgaine Dana's blood pressure went through ther roof when Silva on a 10 fight contract said, Im tired and not interested in fighting for the belt.

Silva Sonnen 2 was huge, this will be bigger than that, both in profile and $$$$$.

I agree it simply has to happen, but time for some fun inbetween.

Y . E . S .

Ace+Ventura+victory+dance.gif

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

I did not. Read Jeff Wagenheim's column, then did a little searching and found that the UFC had already booked the Prudential Center. Makes too damn much sense not to happen; that card on Super Bowl weekend in New Jersey will do a record gate and 1m+ buys.

Thanks!

I agree with those saying seven months is kinda a long time for him not making at least 1 title defence, but makes no sense risking this rematch and even if the new champion wants to stay active and have a fight before the end of the year, they sure have ways to persuade him ($$$$) so he can say: No problem at all, it'll be a pleasure to fight on super bowl weekend.

I don't want Weidman on the shelf for another 7 months. Good lord.

Especially considering he really didn't take any damage.

Just a note, Silva defended his belt twice in the 9 months from winning it.

This is stupid. An organization like the UFC can't be making fights with such a gap...If Anderson wants his belt back, he should fight in november, or for certain before the end of the year. That's BS. Or Weidman must then fight Belfort. Even if he loses, then do a Weidman vs Silva bout just to see who wins.

Hey, old man silva. quit trying to hold the title up! Its NOT your belt anymore!

Fucking belt on hold for a year before last Saturday, JUST cause! :rolleyes:

No TUF, No Injury, Not even a crappy Seigal movie he was yappin about.

I rather see the title defended before that

This.

Weidman is young and can fight once before then. And in the meantime, Anderson can fight a contender as well. He's only fought once in 2013, and he's got 10 more fights on his contract. If he doesn't fight until Feb 2014, at this rate, he'll be fighting until he's nearly 50.

I agree with those saying seven months is kinda a long time for him not making at least 1 title defence, but makes no sense risking this rematch and even if the new champion wants to stay active and have a fight before the end of the year, they sure have ways to persuade him ($$$$) so he can say: No problem at all, it'll be a pleasure to fight on super bowl weekend.

And, barring injury, the Main Event slots are booked on every PPV the rest of the year. Only one that's debatable is if Rousey-Tate is strong enough to carry the end of the year card, but that's only one month sooner.

Such is life when you have 9 champions.

Remember last week when a lot were saying Weidman was a nobody and a waste of a fight for Anderson. Now the rematch is a big money fight.
I am sure it is but I really hate immediate rematches in any case other than a draw. It just holds up the division. The next challenger after the rematch is forced to sit on the shelf for way too long or has to take a fight where their title shot is on the line.
Remember when a champ lost and had to win a fight or 2 to earn a rematch?

I vote now that calling Weidman "the Weidster" should be grounds for dubs.

That was a shitty Rob Schneider sketch back in the 90s, don't bring it back.

What does the Schneidster have to do with the Weidster?

I can see a Weidman and Silva TUF season coming later this year.

Everything is panning out great for the UFC business wise.

Awesome if its in jersey ill be there, but Weidman should face Vitor first.

Remember last week when a lot were saying Weidman was a nobody and a waste of a fight for Anderson. Now the rematch is a big money fight.
I am sure it is but I really hate immediate rematches in any case other than a draw. It just holds up the division. The next challenger after the rematch is forced to sit on the shelf for way too long or has to take a fight where their title shot is on the line.

Long reigning champs are a different story

WTF. Weidman better get a fight in there. It's not like he sustained any damage. He can easily get a fight within 3-4 months.

Silva has been undefeated for 8 years. Been champion of the UFC for seven. Broke UFC's undefeated record and number of successful title defenses.

His loss was monumental in the MMA world. Financial the rematch makes the most sense on paper.

Silva deserves am immediate rematch.

Back