Replacing cable TV with Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV and Kodi?

Ace of Spade

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Cable TV Alternatives... with NO MONTHLY BILL?

r6ou4gG.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of cable TV... the bill is way to high.

So... I'm looking for some cable TV alternatives. Are any of you guys using Kodi with Fire sticks, Apple Tv ect? How do you like it?

Have any of you guys got rid of cable TV because Amazon Fire TV, Roku or Apple TV was good enough?

What has your experiences been with using these media players?

How much do you guys pay for cable TV every month?

Is Kodi the cable TV killer?

u8MRUkF.jpg

Last edited:
I did it probably about 2 years ago, and I truly dont miss it. Go ahead bro, cable is a dying business, I know because I work with cable advertising and I could see their desperation within the last years.

I dont have any of those things you listed, I watch netflix and youtube thru my old PS3, quite happy

Watching live sports is the reason why I keep cable. I can watch sitcoms and dramas on Hulu or stream them for free if I need to.

Just netflix

I use Sling Tv. $20 a month gives you ESPN 1 & 2, TNT, TBS, History 1 & 2, and more.

I got a Firestick on Black Friday for $15, quality investment. To my knowledge, the Amazon devices are the most customizable among the main streaming devices since they're android based and you can easily sideload apps (like Kodi) that you can't with the other ones.

With Kodi and the right add-ons, there really is no point of having cable since you have access to just about anything imaginable (I still have cable though). I watched the entire live NYE Rizin Fedor fightcard the other day in HD through Kodi on the firestick (instead of messing around with streams on the computer).... so it's definitely convenient to watch ALL sporting events through a direct stream on your HDTV instead of messing with questionable streams on the computer and dealing with those anti-adblock bullshit things most sites have now.

Some simple searching on the internet will show you how robust Kodi can be from streaming media on your pc, or directly from the thousands of add-ons, etc.

I got a Firestick on Black Friday for $15, quality investment. To my knowledge, the Amazon devices are the most customizable among the main streaming devices since they're android based and you can easily sideload apps (like Kodi) that you can't with the other ones.

With Kodi and the right add-ons, there really is no point of having cable since you have access to just about anything imaginable (I still have cable though). I watched the entire live NYE Rizin Fedor fightcard the other day in HD through Kodi on the firestick (instead of messing around with streams on the computer).... so it's definitely convenient to watch ALL sporting events through a direct stream on your HDTV instead of messing with questionable streams on the computer and dealing with those anti-adblock bullshit things most sites have now.

Some simple searching on the internet will show you how robust Kodi can be from streaming media on your pc, or directly from the thousands of add-ons, etc.

Yeah... I've read that the cheapest and easiest way to go is a Amazon Fire Stick($39.00) and add Kodi.

So now are you going to save some money and get rid of cable TV?

The only drawback I've had so far with the firestick is that Netflix runs in shit low quality on it... probably because Amazon is trying to sabotage it since they have their rival Amazon Prime Video service. My Xbox 360 runs Netflix in quality pure HD, but the two different firesticks I tested with the Netflix app run in some fuzzy low garbage quality... while every other app on the firestick runs in perfect HD (youtube, WatchESPN, etc)

Looking at a bunch of the reviews for the Netflix app for the Amazon Fire devices, that seems to be a common problem and it's outright broken. So don't buy a Fire device if you solely want to watch Netflix on it.

Kodi sounds intriguing. So is it just software? What hardware do I need? Do I have to put a pc next to my TV?

Edit: guess I was too slow. Looks like fire stick is the way to go

Kodi sounds intriguing. So is it just software? What hardware do I need? Do I have to put a pc next to my TV?

Edit: guess I was too slow. Looks like fire stick is the way to go

http://trendblog.net/setup-kodi-xbmc-fire-tv-run-1080p-content/
What’s XBMC or Kodi?

Before we get started I would like to give you a short introduction about XBMC and Kodi. XBMC stands for XBox Media Center and was developed for Microsofts first console – the Xbox (duh) – in 2002. The media center software is open-source and available for other systems like Android, iOS, Mac OS X and Windows operating system as a native application. Recently it was renamed to Kodi Entertainment Center, or – in short – Kodi.

The software itself offers an endless amount of possibilities: You’re able to stream media locally or from the internet, use the software as a PVR, watch Netflix or listen to music on Spotify, amongst others. Given the open-source nature, there is a sheer endless amount of add-ons and themes which make this tool even more awesome.

I already have a ps3 and roku, can Kodi be used on either of these ?

Ok... here's a video on how to install Kodi on a Amazon Fire Stick.

Last edited:
Nope. Do you have a laptop or older pc laying around?
Yes. Are they better options than the fire stick? I don't mind paying the 40 bucks, I just want to know the best option

Yes. Are they better options than the fire stick? I don't mind paying the 40 bucks, I just want to know the best option

Better is subjective because your hardware has to sit next to your screen, definitely cheaper.
Here's a guide for windows computers http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-windows. TVMC is Kodi with add ons preconfigured.
It's worth a try, if you don't like it you can just uninstall it.

Just got firestick with kodi... Best add on for watching ufc?

You can also install Kodi directly(NO STICK) on your "Smart" TV.

WLWQ66P.jpg

Back