Repeated hits, not concussions, cause CTE, study finds

car epic win

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Previous studies have shown that repetitive hits to the head -- even without concussion -- can result in CTE, but scientists said this is the most definitive study to date to find this connection.
"Now we have both the scientific proof, the pathologies to support it, and all the evidence to show that concussion is not linked to long-term neurological disease," said Dr. Lee Goldstein, one of the authors on the study, published in the journal Brain.
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/health/cte-concussion-repeated-hits-study/index.html

Overeem is relieved

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out getting hit in the head isn't good for the brain.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out getting hit in the head isn't good for the brain.
Of course it doesn’t take a rocket scientist.

Rocket scientists study rockets, dipshit.

It takes a brain scientist.

Having a great chin is actually worse for your health in the long run.

I thought we already knew this?

People have often said more damage is done in sparring than in an actual fight.

That's why MMA is safer than boxing.

This is biased as hell. Repeated concussions causes serious problems. This reminds me of Yahoo news giving half of the truth. Repeated hits are also a problem but concussions are a big deal for CTE.

I thought we already knew this?

People have often said more damage is done in sparring than in an actual fight.

You can also get concussions from sparring. The thing I think many assumed was that concussion symptoms are linked to the amount of damage you have but apparently you can have more severe damage without any symptoms and not every concussion symptom by that logic means the damage is necessarily extra bad.

I think what many don't know is that a concussion isn't the injruy you are talking about a concussion just describes certain symptoms you might experience but it doesn#t tell you anything about the exact kind of injury nor always correlates with the severity. Allthough often I'm sure it does and post concussion syndrome is obviously a big issue as well

This is biased as hell. Repeated concussions causes serious problems. This reminds me of Yahoo news giving half of the truth. Repeated hits are also a problem but concussions are a big deal for CTE.

I think that's the wrong mindset adn this study enforces my opinion. OYu say concussiona s if it is something different. You get hit and your brain gets injured a concussion just means you have symptoms but it's still exactly the same brain inury is brain injury. So obviously a concussion isn#t "safe" because it still is a brain injury but so is a brain injruy without any symptoms.

A concussion jsut describes the symptoms not a certain injury that you have to evaluate seperately and could be anything from not so severe to very serious and life threatening.

In the end it means it doesn#t matter if it's a concussion brain injuries are just bad and getting hit is unhealthy which boxers have known for over 100 years

You can also get concussions from sparring. The thing I think many assumed was that concussion symptoms are linked to the amount of damage you have but apparently you can have more severe damage without any symptoms and not every concussion symptom by that logic means the damage is necessarily extra bad.

I think what many don't know is that a concussion isn't the injruy you are talking about a concussion just describes certain symptoms you might experience but it doesn#t tell you anything about the exact kind of injury nor always correlates with the severity. Allthough often I'm sure it does and post concussion syndrome is obviously a big issue as well
For sure. I’ve been slightly concussed sparring. If it’s happening frequently though you are sparring carelessly.

I think that's the wrong mindset adn this study enforces my opinion. OYu say concussiona s if it is something different. You get hit and your brain gets injured a concussion just means you have symptoms but it's still exactly the same brain inury is brain injury. So obviously a concussion isn#t "safe" because it still is a brain injury but so is a brain injruy without any symptoms.

A concussion jsut describes the symptoms not a certain injury that you have to evaluate seperately and could be anything from not so severe to very serious and life threatening.

In the end it means it doesn#t matter if it's a concussion brain injuries are just bad and getting hit is unhealthy which boxers have known for over 100 years
That wasn't clear to me. If what you're saying is true, then I'm doomed too.

Uh, yeah...this is semantics.

I've always thought Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Hendo were very likely future CTE cases. None of them get KO'd often, but they take huge amounts of punishment. That said, I don't think guys who get KO'd a lot like Overeem and Arlovski are safe, either.

Back