Renzo Gracie Academy or Marcelo Garcia Academy?

Check out Shaolins as well. I have heard great things about it. There was a thread on here not too long ago about where to go, Shaolins or Renzos. I think most people said go to Shaolins in that thread. So I would try them all.

I don't get why they still even teach gi, let alone making the majority of the classes gi only. no-gi is the future.

Take your 10th planet shit and get outta here. Wait I bet you haven't trained in anything a day in your life.

Off to the heavies you go.

EDIT: Oh you're the TS? You're more of a fuckin prick than I realized.

I can't speak for other schools, but I visited Shaolin's school and everyone there was super cool, smaller classes and Shaolin is beyond amazing.

Edit: NM you troll.

Take your 10th planet shit and get outta here. Wait I bet you haven't trained in anything a day in your life.

Eh...that's a bit much.

Sorry man it just irks me when someone trolls the Grappling forum. His shit belongs in The Heavies.

For all you know he's just naive. His name has the word "wrestler" in it, so that's probably his background.

4X all state wrestling freestyle and greco. won NAGA's last year. looking for a good no-gi school worth 250 a month that focuses on no-gi. gi's are antiquated vestiges of a formalistic tradition, and a waste of training time. one you get in the cage or submission grappling tourney the guy doesn't have a gi on, i don't want to be forced to train with a gi. is there somewhere that offers no-gi classes morning, afternoon, and evening 5-6 days a week? renzo and marcelo don't...

Try NY Sambo and if that doesnt float your boat Brooklyn Wrestling Club is your only option as far as I know.

4X all state wrestling freestyle and greco. won NAGA's last year. looking for a good no-gi school worth 250 a month that focuses on no-gi. gi's are antiquated vestiges of a formalistic tradition, and a waste of training time. one you get in the cage or submission grappling tourney the guy doesn't have a gi on, i don't want to be forced to train with a gi. is there somewhere that offers no-gi classes morning, afternoon, and evening 5-6 days a week? renzo and marcelo don't...

You won't find it. Unless you already have bjj ranking and can go to Renzo's and take the no gi classes exclusively if you want. I don't know of anywhere in the city that is strictly no gi.

And you're wrong on the gi, but that's another discussion.

Try NY Sambo and if that doesnt float your boat Brooklyn Wrestling Club is your only option as far as I know.

I don't think NY Sambo is exclusively no gi. They work in the traditional Sambo uniform from what I've seen (gi top and shoes).

I guess we have misunderstood each other. I apologize. And no I don't believe any instructors or clubs will be willing to teach you strictly no-gi.

I found this link that might be of use to you (it's 10th Planet btw lol) and it may be a trek to attend classes.

Empire Academy - Grappling

I guess we have misunderstood each other. I apologize. And no I don't believe any instructors or clubs will be willing to teach you strictly no-gi.

I found this link that might be of use to you (it's 10th Planet btw lol) and it may be a trek to attend classes.

Empire Academy - Grappling

Rochester is like a 7 hour drive from NYC. Not sure if you were being sarcastic, or are not familiar with NY state (being from Canada).

Question: have you ever trained in something besides wrestling before? Just an honest question. I wrestled before I started bjj, and did no-gi for my first year, and I paid for it in the long run by developing technical flaws and bad habits. I didn't want to train in the gi because I thought it was stupid, but now that I train in both 50/50 I love it and I see the benefits.

First of all a lot of people train for sport competition in the gi.

The gi increases friction and forces you to be more technical, especially with escapes. No gi has a lot of sweat, and allows some leeway in escaping positions and submissions, which means that you will often neglect proper technique in favor of explosiveness, which works well at the lower levels but not so much against higher levels. I believe the gi also helps your base and balance, and increases your knowledge of leverage, but that's just me.

Furthermore for self defense purposes, people don't walk around in skintight rash guards and grappling shorts. Neither do they walk around in a kimono, but they wear clothes (like in NY). So from that perspective it's best to train in both.

I'm not biased against one or the other. I train about equal in both. But I think both provide benefits, depending on your goals.

what merits do u guys find in training with a gi anyway?

You have to work much harder to escape bad positions on the ground due to 1) friction and 2) your opponent having more handles to control and attack you with. Scrambling won't get you very far, you have to be conscious of every grip, protect your neck at all times and be very mindful of posture in the guard. Sure, some of these things aren't directly relevant to no gi, but they build a lot of skills that do carry over. The gi also slows things down and can work to equalize strength disparities if used correctly. It just forces a very technical game.

If you talk to the world's best no gi submission grapplers, even those who focus mostly on no gi, they will pretty much all tell you that they train in the gi because they feel it makes them better without it.

EDIT: Rambo beat me to it.

Last edited:
well put. i guess i'll give the gi a try. i'll visit renzos and marcelos and pick the one i like more. if one doesn't have showers it's disqualified automatically.

I'm pretty sure both schools wont allow you to move up in belt rank unless you train gi and no gi. If you aren't concerned with that and just want to train you should be fine at both.

Back