Remembering when Maia outgrappled Gunnar Lúðvík Nelson

Gunner went in overconfident in that fight. If im not mistaken, he even invited maia into the ground multiple times. Maia showed him there is a level to this business.

And Maia made it look easy. If only he could form a solid Plan B when fighting someone like TWood.

He's talking about Jason Macdonald
Such a good fight.

Jason had some pretty good moments in there.

I remember being shocked at how overmatched Gunnar was against Maia, I thought he would have been able to get the win. Even when he managed to get top position, he ended up getting swept and punished with elbows shortly thereafter.

Gunner went in overconfident in that fight. If im not mistaken, he even invited maia into the ground multiple times. Maia showed him there is a level to this business.
I'm pretty sure Kavanagh stated that Gunnar would submit Maia.

Boy was he wrong...

I prefer Maia at 185 vs MacDonald.
He was the first guy to go to the ground with Maia and they had a intense battle.
Maia won the fight. IIRC Rogan went bat shit that MacDonald want to the ground with Maia.
That's the greatest ground fight I've seen . Crazy that MacDonald had him in trouble a few times .( Jason not Rory just so everyone knows )

“Remember when I outgrappled Maia”

2912ltw.jpg

Its not gay if you don't make eye contact, especially in BJJ. Damien Maia total snoozefest how he fought Tyquil Lamely I will never know. Like Maia was the best the division had to offer at the time lol?

Such a good fight.

Jason had some pretty good moments in there.

I remember being shocked at how overmatched Gunnar was against Maia, I thought he would have been able to get the win. Even when he managed to get top position, he ended up getting swept and punished with elbows shortly thereafter.

Unlike most guys, gunnar actually tried to be offensive with Maia, which simply opened up more chances for Maia to shine. Most guys just play a defense/survive game when they're on the ground with maia.

Props to Gunnar for trying.

Love watching Maia. That body triangle from the bottom is nuts and must be exhausting. Too bad we can't make him 10 years younger and give him a shot and a jab and make him a career WW. He'd wreck GSP and probably decision Tyron.

Nelson had 4-5 blatant fence grabs in the 2nd. Forgot all about that.

Fun fight. Terrible matchup for Nelson as some predicted.

Its not gay if you don't make eye contact, especially in BJJ. Damien Maia total snoozefest how he fought Tyquil Lamely I will never know. Like Maia was the best the division had to offer at the time lol?
I think Maia's age finally got him in his fight with Masvidal. He looked like crap in that fight (Masvidal looked really good though too) and Maia was gassing hard. In his win streak before that fight Maia was putting tremendous pressure for 3 rounds with no signs of slowing down. I'm not saying he would've beat Woodley but I think it would've been far closer if it was the Maia that fought Nelson or Brown

“Remember when I outgrappled Maia”

2912ltw.jpg

Funny thing is...Jake shields came into a bar I was working at on Gay night once, just a funny coincidence after seeing this picture lol.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Love watching Maia. That body triangle from the bottom is nuts and must be exhausting. Too bad we can't make him 10 years younger and give him a shot and a jab and make him a career WW. He'd wreck GSP and probably decision Tyron.

LOL he would never beat gsp or tyron

I prefer Maia at 185 vs MacDonald.
He was the first guy to go to the ground with Maia and they had a intense battle.
Maia won the fight. IIRC Rogan went bat shit that MacDonald want to the ground with Maia.
Maia came out to the “Last of the Mohicans” theme song in that fight. Epic fight. I loved Jmac back in the day too for being a TUF killer and spoiling the UFCs plans

People always overlook how significant the size difference was in terms of the grappling advantage it provided him. He was better than Nelson no doubt, but the size helped.

That's the greatest ground fight I've seen . Crazy that MacDonald had him in trouble a few times .( Jason not Rory just so everyone knows )
You must not have seen Newton-Sakuraba then

Maia is likely 15lbs heavier than Gunnar.

It's mostly that Maia actually has much better BJJ credentials, when the best in Gunnar's record is winning the Pan Ams as a black belt once.

He could beat Tyron, he won't be ever beating GSP.

And yeah, SBG guys have fence control drilled to perfection.

It's mostly that Maia actually has much better BJJ credentials, when the best in Gunnar's record is winning the Pan Ams as a black belt once.

That doesn't change the reality that he is bigger.

Back