Remember when Sakuraba challenged Rickson

From what I remember Rickson protected his record like faberge egg. Saku was a serious threat for someone his size too. Doesn't surprise me.

ScreenShot2016-12-13at2.05.29AM.jpg

sakurickson.jpg

saku.jpg

dcb8ea553a71e53ebf431203071006e8.jpg
When was this ? What were the circumstances ?

Remember when PRIDE screwed Guy Mezger out of a decision so Saku could wrestle Royce Gracie?

The decision sucked yeah, but Guy screwed himself into losing by letting Ken Shamrock end that fight. He could have kept fighting if he wanted to

Yeah, Rickson had so much to gain from beating on a WW like so, so, so many have done...

{<huh}

Lol Saku had owned his entire family up to that point. Don't act like Rickson had nothing to gain. Especially with all the money they were throwing at him

Remember when it was supposed to go to a overtime round and Ken lost his shit and pulled Guy out of the fight thereby screwing Guy out of a possible victory ?

Mezger won by a landslide. Yeah, Shammie contributed to the clusterf*ck, but realistically the only reason there was an "OT" was because they were desperate to have Saku face Royce after shelling out all that $$$$ for Royce.

Plenty of things I loved about PRIDE, but this kind of shite was not one of them.

The decision sucked yeah, but Guy screwed himself into losing by letting Ken Shamrock end that fight. He could have kept fighting if he wanted to

Yep, Shammie pulled some similar crap with Royce back in one of the first UFCs. I was angry at him for pulling that crap with Mezger, even though the crap PRIDE was pulling was completely wrong.

I just felt terrible for Mezger. What should have been a career highlight, became an incident that tarnished MMA forever. It would have been better for him to lose in OT than to pull out like that.

Rickson would have never risked his 400-0 bs record against Sakuraba

He was dealing with the death of his son , nothing to do with ego . Rickson is a true martial artist , Family is everything to him. to this day if they were to battle Rickson would come out on top, no doubt whether that is metamoris or MMA... the man is a legend with nothing to prove
That rough. My cousins childhood friend died at 21 from a drug OD. Sad story. 2 years prior he was in an altercation where he ended up getting stabbed deep in the arm. He had irreversible nerve damage to that arm and had to deal with a tremendous amount of pain. It got to the point where moving his fingers were painful and holding a pen or comb was difficult. So he would keep his arm in a sling most times but try doing life with one arm. It sucks. So he went down a path many people have to take. Pain management. It started with prescribed opiates. But a doctor can only prescribe you so much before they say "No I can't give you more" even if you're still in pain. So he went where everyone else goes to get this pain relief. The streets. He became a heroin user. 2 years later after his father and mother begged and pleaded he quit heroin, he was finally found dead of an overdose. Sad story. Sad for Rickson or any parent.

Back