Remember when Dodson said "Demetrious is just a point fighter, he's boring and never tries to finish

To be fair when he said that, MM had very few or even no finishes.
MM got better finishing fights after that.

I respect Dodson.
He chose not to wrestlef**k Lineker.
Someone else was not so brave.
I'm not going to say who. You said it.
What is this? One of those street fights where you yell at the guy to let the other up if he wrestles him down? Thought I was watching MMA...

He's incredibly wrong. Aside from the fact that DJ has finished half of his title defenses, two of those came within the first round (another in the second) and it would have been three first round finishes if Moraga wasn't saved by the bell in round one.

and there are also instances like this where DJ gives up position within the first 30 seconds of round one to attempt a finish.

DJ being a point fighter is one of the biggest misnomers in MMA. I immediately disregard the opinions of anyone who ever says that and can never take anything they say seriously from that point onward.

He doesn't naturally have power, his finishes are mostly due to a huge skill discrepancy.

To be fair when he said that, MM had very few or even no finishes.
MM got better finishing fights after that.
Before they fought the first time, Dodson said that DJ was one of his favorite fighters and that he would watch him in WEC and think about fighting him one day. That's the most honest he's ever been. It's a shame he decided to go down the route of disrespecting one of his peers instead of giving him the props he deserves as a champion like Benavidez does.

He doesn't naturally have power
How is this relevant? That just means it takes even more effort on his part to finish his opponents.

his finishes are mostly due to a huge skill discrepancy.
Not sure what this means. So he's finishing fighters because he's incredibly skilled? Isn't that a good thing? You can't say people like Horiguchi/Dodson/Benavidez/Cejudo/Bagautinov are unskilled. They have fought for titles and in divisions as high as 145 pounds and never been dominated or finished the way DJ did them in. They also have wins over top 10 fighters in weight divisions above their own. Hell, even Chris Cariaso beat Mizugaki and split with Mayday, and DJ took him out with ease.

Yes. We all have a cut off line, mine is 135.

I would seriously rather watch two random top 50 HW's go at it than any match up at 125.
Your line is stupid considering most of these flyweights struggle to make weight and are basically 135ers (and have fought there and been successful). Reis, for example, holds a win over Bryan Caraway and would probably have a win over Alcantara if not for an egregious standup in round one of their fight that fucked him on the scorecards.

Last edited:
He threw stones in a glass house. However his point still holds water.
Son, you're teasin' the gorilla in the monkey house.
Hank_Hill.jpg

it's weird, this "pick a quote out of context, pick a guy's worst bout, and mock him incessantly, and still call myself an 'MMA fan'" trend.

meanwhile, he got handled in the 2nd bout v Johnson, but they had a great first fight. have you ever seen their first fight, TS? or are you just a youtube lurker?

"He affects the division in a bad way because of his style"

Seems like Lineker has been training with the Diaz bros....

"This guy won't let me box against him while his back is against the cage, so I can swing wildly. What a pussy!"

Please. Lineker has one strategy that he does better than anybody in that division and Dodson would have been an idiot to just let him do it.

Seems like Lineker has been training with the Diaz bros....

"This guy won't let me box against him while his back is against the cage, so I can swing wildly. What a pussy!"

Please. Lineker has one strategy that he does better than anybody in that division and Dodson would have been an idiot to just let him do it.
Dodson had like a 70% accuracy rate compared to Lineker's 30% but all people focus on is the "running." I didn't have any problem with how he fought that fight and I usually fault Dodson for being inactive. But looking at how easily TJ beat Lineker, hindsight makes me wish he just mixed in a few takedowns so we got to see that rematch instead.

Dodson had like a 70% accuracy rate compared to Lineker's 30% but all people focus on is the "running." I didn't have any problem with how he fought that fight and I usually fault Dodson for being inactive. But looking at how easily TJ beat Lineker, I can't help but wish Dodson just mixed in a few takedowns so we got to see that rematch instead.

Exactly, Lineker just has an Iron chin. And I'd love to see Dodson/TJ 2.

If we're gonna call out his boring performances it's the ones like Moraga 2 (up until the big shot) and macovsky.

Exactly, Lineker just has an Iron chin. And I'd love to see Dodson/TJ 2.

If we're gonna call out his boring performances it's the ones like Moraga 2 (up until the big shot) and macovsky.
Yep. I would always point to performances like that whenever people said he would be a better face for the division than Demetrious. All we remember are the knockouts but there are points in Dodson's fights that are incredibly boring where literally nothing happens but a staring contest. It's the reason he has so many losses on his record. If he could just work out those issues - which probably isn't ever going to happen considering his age - he would be a top 5 P4P fighter. Dude is that talented.

I respect Dodson.
He chose not to wrestlef**k Lineker.
Someone else was not so brave.
I'm not going to say who. You said it.

I would have preferred to see that TBH
He just run at least half the fight

Yep. I would always point to performances like that whenever people said he would be a better face for the division than Demetrious. All we remember are the knockouts but there are points in Dodson's fights that are incredibly boring where literally nothing happens but a staring contest. It's the reason he has so many losses on his record. If he could just work out those issues - which probably isn't ever going to happen considering his age - he would be a top 5 P4P fighter. Dude is that talented.

I think part of that comes with his gas tank at 125, i honestly think he, like a tiny version of Whitaker, is better suited for a weight class up.

I think part of that comes with his gas tank at 125, i honestly think he, like a tiny version of Whitaker, is better suited for a weight class up.
Nah he fought the same way against Mike Easton at 135 and ended up losing because of it. It's just a mental thing.

Nah he fought the same way against Mike Easton at 135 and ended up losing because of it. It's just a mental thing.

Hmm, never seen the fight before. At that point I wasn't watching much outside the biggest organizations.

Guess we're stuck with this version of Dodson, unless we get a Bisping like run out of the end of his career. Could be worse.

I still find DJ boring as fuck

Dat lay and pray against Tim Elliott

Shocking performance by Dodson. Especially when you see how easily Dillashaw handled Lineker...
I think Dodson is a "touch" over rated. He did beat Dilly fair and square, but Dodson seems to rely more on speed and hay makers rather than solid technique.

I enjoy reading @Lucifer Alpha defending Mighty Mouse more than I enjoy actually watching Mighty Mouse defending his belt

Back