Remember Sokoudjou.......????

however to be fair, sokoudjou never beat anyone on par with overeem, so ngannou has already accomplished more.

If you really want to be fair, Sokoudjou beat Little Nog who has two wins over Overeem, and one over Dan Henderson.

Ive said it on here before and im gonna say it again....he should be forced to give his predator mask to Nganou...pass the torch

I mean, Sokou did KO a man who submitted Reem with strikes though.
you could make the argument that arona was pretty shot at that point though - he had dropped the last two fights prior to reem, and only had one more fight in his career after soko.

and overeem's career was all over the place, he has one of the more inconsistent resumes you'll ever see.

Sokodjou's best two wins combined are better than Ngannous best two wins.

True or false?

Come on guys, first guy to finish one of the Nogueira brothers is nothing to scoff at

No...

But im trying to soak It in

<Goldie11>

Ngannou is 6-0 in the UFC while Soko burst onto the scene with two flash KO’s over heavily favored opponents. Prior to the Lil Nog and Arona fights, he was primarily known as a training partner for more prominent fighters. Not for nothing, but there’s another title challenger on the card whose career trajectory more closely resembles Soko’s.

If you really want to be fair, Sokoudjou beat Little Nog who has two wins over Overeem, and one over Dan Henderson.
yeah... that's mmath, but they are in similar situations (ngannou and sokodjou).

you could make the argument that arona was pretty shot at that point though - he had dropped the last two fights prior to reem, and only had one more fight in his career after soko.

and overeem's career was all over the place, he has one of the more inconsistent resumes you'll ever see.
Arona was 28 when he lost to Sokou. His losses before Reem were to Pride GP Super GOAT Shogun, and a split decision loss to Wand, who we all know was a monster at that time and also someone Arona beat two fights prior to the rematch. Arona wasn't shot lol. He was lazy and retired young.

When the the whole Sokoudjou thing was happening, it was terrifying, and impossible not to think he was going to murder everyone! It wasn’t even a hype train. He was just here! I can’t believe how fast time is passing me by....

Don’t get old, kids!

He is only 33 right now

Blew my mind when I read that

He could make another run
African athletes and age are like Jon Jones and driving... Something ain't right.

There are some hilarious examples... Cameroon once sent a 50 year old, Roger Milla to the World Cup pretending he was 36.

undated-portrait-of-roger-milla-of-cameroon-before-an-african-nations-picture-id1629892

And he scored a few goals...

B_8IBp.gif

There are countess other examples... Taribo West, Michael Essien, Tony Yeboah...

Is normal... But Soak-a-Jew isn't 33!

Back in the day I was fully aboard that hype-train.
Maaaan, i still remember the 90 dollars he made me by knocking out Nog. Or was it Arona? Can't remember which one was first amd which had better odds, but iirc, i think ome was like +700 amd the other +900.

Soko was the goat that year.

I think the Sokoudjou comparisons are a little overstated. Sokoudjou had already been brutally KOed before he emerged on the scene and never had a win streak like Ngannou's. Ngannou is also much bigger than him.

yeah... that's mmath, but they are in similar situations (ngannou and sokodjou).

I'm aware of what MMAmath is. I was just pointing out that Little Nog was a solid win, at LEAST comparable to a win over Overeem.

I got some great lulz out of that pride interview where the japanese reporter asked him how he trains, or why he's so good, etc, and he replied, paraphrasing, "I fight lions, girl. Giraffe".

Back