Remarkable journeymen

Hagler

Man of wealth and taste
@Gold
Reaction score
Introducing you Angel Robinson Garcia.

A Cuban who boxed from super featherweight to welterweight with a professional record of 137-81-21 between 1955 and 1978. 81 losses, but only 2 guys stopped him, one of whom was Willie "the Worm" Monroe, who beat Hagler on their fist meeting. He also got DQed once.

He boxed in 19 countries and 4 continents, hailing from Cuba, France, Spain, Italy and the US.

The guy boxed 42 world ranked men, 16 world champions and 6 hall of famers. José Napoles, Carlos Hernandez, Ismael Laguna, Ken Buchanan, Miguel Velazquez, Roberto Duran, Esteban De Jesus, Marcos Geraldo, Sugar Ray Seales, Eddie Perkins, Saul Mamby, Wilfried Benitez and Billy Backus.

That's an interesting resume. Which other journeymen would be fist ballot Journeymen hall of famers ?

Last edited:
Apparently he was a massive alcoholic. By all accounts he gave a young Duran a fair amount of problems.

A guy like Emmanuel Augustus would probably fit the criteria here.

Bert Cooper has come up here lately. I'm not sure I'd say he was a HOFer but a handful for pretty much any HW.

Darnell Boone, baby.

edit. might look up his record and update this post later. off the top of my head, he took Kovalev to a sd, ko'd Adonis, dropped Ward. Pretty tough opponent.

Bruce 'The Mouse' Strauss used to be a very well known journeyman type back in the 80's. He used to get a lot of print in the boxing magazines back then, including some feature articles devoted to him in The Ring, KO, and the like. If you focus on the "fame" part of the Hall of Fame, he'd be up there.

I mean, come on. How many of these 'opponent' types in boxing can get an appearance on Letterman;

For all the shit consortium got here, he was good about journeymen fighters

Back