Released Guantanamo Prisoner Carries Out Suicide Bombing in Mosul..

TheTimeIsNotNow

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
..and Was Gifted £1 million by the British Government.
British man who launched Isil suicide attack was Guantanamo Bay detainee awarded £1m compensation
JS121328847_Universal-News-And-Sport-Europe_British-suicide-bomber-dies-in-attack-on-Iraqi-forces-in-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqM37qcIWR9CtrqmiMdQVx7POknlFcWzIy_ybUGmsihJk.jpg

ABritish Islamic State fighter who carried out a suicide bombing in Iraq this week is a former Guantanamo Bay detainee who was paid £1 million compensation by the government.

Jamal al-Harith, a Muslim convert born Ronald Fiddler who detonated a car bomb at an Iraqi army base near Mosul, was released from the US detention camp in 2004 and successfully claimed compensation after saying British agents knew or were complicit in his mistreatment.

He was freed following intense lobbying by Tony Blair’s Labour government.

Al-Harith, who used the nom de guerre Abu-Zakariya al-Britani, entered Syria via Turkey in 2014 to join Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, leading to questions at the time about the monitoring of terrorist suspects.

It also raised the possibility that compensation money paid by British taxpayers had been handed on by him to Isil.

Earlier this week Isil released an image of him sitting inside the bomb car grinning broadly, with wires and what may be a detonation button in the background.

A statement released by the terrorist group said: “The martyrdom-seeking brother Abu Zakariya al-Britani - may Allah accept him - detonated his explosives-laden vehicle on a headquarters of the Rafidhi army and its militias in Tal Kisum village, southwest of Mosul.”

“Rafidha” is a derogatory term for Shiite Muslims, who Isil considers to be heretics.

His brother, Leon Jameson, told The Times Al-Harith had “wasted his life”.

He added: "I didn’t think he’d ever do anything wrong but, if he’s joining extremists, then, you know ... I’m not ashamed of him, I never will be. But it’s his own decision. I can only just give him advice if he needs any.”

The 53-year-old said his brother had been a keen sportsman in his youth, playing football, basketball and table-tennis and winning a trophy for karate when he was a teenager.

He later converted to Islam after meeting Muslim friends at a sixth form college.

“All I know is one day he brought a Quran home,” Mr Jameson told the newspaper.

“We were supportive of it, yeah,we didn’t see anything wrong with it at the time and the trouble only started later, seems like he’s been dragged into it."

The 50-year-old, originally from Manchester, was arrested by US forces in Pakistan in 2001 as a suspected Taliban sympathiser, before being sent to Guantanamo Bay in Cuba in 2002.

At the time of his release, the then home secretary David Blunkett said: “No-one who is returned...will actually be a threat to the security of the British people.”

Earlier this week Isil named him as the man who had blown himself up in the car bombing at the Iraqi army base, and released a picture of him.

Al-Harith’s wife Shukee Begum travelled to Syria with their five children to try to persuade her husband to return to the UK, but failed and was taken hostage before eventually managing to escape.

Al-Harith, the son of Jamaican immigrants, converted to Islam in the 1990s and worked as a web designer before he travelled to the Pakistani city of Quetta in 2001 for what he claimed was a religious holiday.

He has insisted he tried to enter Iran when the US invaded neighbouring Afghanistan, but was captured and imprisoned by the Taliban on suspicion of being a UK spy.

When US special forces found him in a Taliban jail, they assessed him as a “high threat to the US” who was “probably involved in a former terrorist attack against the US”.

Al-Harith’s prisoner file from Guantanamo Bay, published online by WikiLeaks, refers to him travelling to Sudan in 1992 with “Abu Bakr, a well-known al-Qaeda operative”.

After his return to the UK - where he was released without charge - he joined three other former prisoners known as the Tipton Three in a failed attempt to sue Donald Rumsfeld, the then US Defense Secretary.

His legal action against the British government was more successful, resulting in a payment of up to £1 million in return for which he agreed not to talk about his ordeal.

He was known to associate with terrorists, yet was still allowed to be freed and fleece the British taxpayer. Another black mark on the already tainted Tony Blair led government.

Another black mark on the already tainted Tony Blair led government.

Came here to say exactly this.

What damage those lefty idiots did to our country, may Blair and Labour as a whole, rot in the ground, before they're allowed to inflict any more.

David Blunkett said: “No-one who is returned...will actually be a threat to the security of the British people.”

You'd have to be LITERALLY blind to think that...okay, that was a bit harsh.

wasnt he the rapper?

i remember him. thats hilarious btw.

Did the suicide attack kill or maim anyone?
they should claim money from Blair. Not many politicians have killed as many people as Blair..
he is right up there with Hillary Clinton.

Did the suicide attack kill or maim anyone?
they should claim money from Blair. Not many politicians have killed as many people as Blair..
he is right up there with Hillary Clinton.
I read that there isn't a report on how many killed/injured so far, it is a shame no one will be held responsible for this.

Fuck this is just awful.

Hope no one was hurt. If Blair felt he deserved compensation, he should have payed the Muslim out of his own pocket not the British taxpayers.

the guy got a million pounds and then decided to blow his ass up?? These extreme muslims are some confused people i swear

this million probably went to financing this and other terrorist attacks. the British government literally sponsors terrorism.

Back