Reilly Bodycomb Interview and Podcast about Sambo, BJJ, Leglocks and more

He should have fans because he does put out good videos. But there is a difference between saying he puts out good videos and saying stuff like he is a pioneer.

The thing he was pioneering was putting out systematic approaches to leg locks to the general public. There were instructionals, but most of them were just collections of techniques without positional strategy and advancement. The only only ones really in that category were Ryan Halls 50/50 dvd and Scott Sonnon's weirdo ramblings. Dean lister was winning, but didn't put out a systematic DVD until much later. Even Sambo Steve's first leg lock instructional kind of sucked.

Oh hey look a thread about Reilly Bodycomb. I can bet that nefti and kenpeters are going to be suuuuper vocal. ETA on justthetip? It isn't right unless the whole gang is here.

I'm curious, what drives you three to be so vitriolic against someone? I know JTT got his feelings hurt at a reilly seminar, but what's the deal with you other two?

I like his videos very much. He seems to be chilled guy and a good teacher. His downloads gave me always new ideas and everything he does is pretty solid and works.

Oh hey look a thread about Reilly Bodycomb. I can bet that nefti and kenpeters are going to be suuuuper vocal. ETA on justthetip? It isn't right unless the whole gang is here.

I'm curious, what drives you three to be so vitriolic against someone? I know JTT got his feelings hurt at a reilly seminar, but what's the deal with you other two?

I mean i mentioned Ryan Hall so the shade is gonna have to follow from JTP

Am I tho? Have I stated anything that is not factual? Or even disrespectful? Or is there an disproportionate amount of praise for someone of his accomplishments? Now the narrative is that he is a pioneer due to his in instructionals.

Leave me out of it.

Am I tho? Have I stated anything that is not factual? Or even disrespectful? Or is there an disproportionate amount of praise for someone of his accomplishments? Now the narrative is that he is a pioneer due to his in instructionals.
Disgraceful how people like a guy more because he puts out good material for cheap, posts on the forum and is occasionally funny. REAL BJJ players only give the time of day to people ranked top 5 by the IBJJF and ADCC medallists.

Disgraceful how people like a guy more because he puts out good material for cheap, posts on the forum and is occasionally funny. REAL BJJ players only give the time of day to people ranked top 5 by the IBJJF and ADCC medallists.

Again, you are just making strawman arguments and imagining slights or "hates". It is not hate. It's guys like you who blow things out of proportion. Had people said from the beginning that his DVDs were the sole reason why they liked him then people would agree. However his supporters on f12 have a history of exaggerating his competition record and accomplishments.

If he was compared to say Stephan kestling (but more accomplished) everyone would agree. This simply isn't true, the narrative that he is held in high regard because of his instructionals is a recent development when confronted with his actual competition record and the fact that there was 3 guys in his world sambo championship (not the big one in eastern Europe).

So stop with makin strawman arguments.

Last edited:
Again, you are just making strawman arguments and imagining slights or "hates". It is not hate. It's guys like you who blow things out of proportion. Had people said from the beginning that his DVDs were the sole reason why they liked him then people would agree. However his supporters on f12 have a history of exaggerating his competition record and accomplishments.

If he was compared to say Stephan kestling (but more accomplished) everyone would agree. This simply isn't true, the narrative that he is held in high regard because of his instructionals is a recent development when confronted with his actual competition record and the fact that there was 3 guys in his world sambo championship (not the big one in eastern Europe).

Who are his "supporters" and where are the examples of this egregious behaviour? I just searched it and I the only time I've ever mentioned him is to... recommend his instructional videos.

As far as this actual thread goes, someone said "pioneer" and you got all upset because of how the forum hurt you bad by overrating someone half a decade ago. Let it go for fuck's sake.

Who are his "supporters" and where are the examples of this egregious behaviour? I just searched it and I the only time I've ever mentioned him is to... recommend his instructional videos.

As far as this actual thread goes, someone said "pioneer" and you got all upset because of how the forum hurt you bad by overrating someone half a decade ago. Let it go for fuck's sake.

How about you let it go. No one can question anything they just have to agree with you. If they don't, they are a "hater". Please. Stop.

What a hypocrite. For someone who loves to shout "STRAWMAN" as loud as he can, you're doing the same thing. Who in this thread blew him out of proportion? Who exaggerated his competition record or accomplishments? The man himself came to a thread you were shit talking in and posted his accomplishments. Where is the confusion? It doesn't exist. People praising his instructionals isn't a new development, THAT'S HOW EVERYONE KNOWS WHO HE IS. Anyone who enjoys Reilly's work is already someone that is familiar with his instrunctional content. I can't think of a single person who is a Reilly nuthugger because they saw him win a local NAGA.

Or are you implying Stephan Kesting, of all people, is some Reilly nuthugger because he said Reilly was a "pioneer" of leg locks? The definition of pioneer being someone who applies a new method to a field of study, yea, Reilly was a pioneer, it can't be argued. He was one of the few that not only had a system of both submissions AND control, it had a numerical structure indicating progression of control, something no other instructional did at the time. This method is easily taught and replicated, which is why so many people enjoy it. It's funny you bring Ryan Hall up earlier in the thread, as Ryan Hall has had Reilly come in to do seminars on multiple occasions. I guess you should reach out to Ryan Hall and let him know that his competition record is inflated or whatever narrative you're going for. The fact you even bring up Scott Sonnon's grab bag variety DVD of random techniques (the same man that invented "leg fencing" and "the viking guard") as a predecessor, makes you look like a hateful fool.

Finally, every time you're pressed for an example of this illusory war you're fighting, you tell people to "Search the forums" or "let it go." Bullshit. You can't just drop in, spout hate, and then when people start calling you out tell them to let it go.

Out of my own personal curiosity, where do you train? What rank are you?

I am brown belt at Gracie Barra headquaeters. I have been training for over 10 years, have trained judo for 2 years in South Korea, trained with catch wresters, trained with LL guys when I visited brazilain top team. I have also trained muay Thai for 3 years, and amateur boxing for 6 month (before I tore my knee).

Like saying stuff like he was sambo world champion, (without disclosing that it was a minor org and not the real one out of eastern europe, not to mention there was only three competitors) is not exaggerating his accomplishments?

Imagine if a bjj guy won a minor tournament with 3 competitors and people called him "world champion". I would do the exact same thing.

So why don't you get off your high horse and stop calling people haters . No one is hating. Really stop with the caping and victim complex.

Last edited:
Like saying stuff like he was sambo world champion, (without disclosing that it was a minor org and not the real one out of eastern europe, not to mention there was only three competitors) is not exaggerating his accomplishments?

Imagine if a bjj guy won a minor tournament with 3 competitors and people called him "world champion". I would do the exact same thing.
I don't have to imagine super hard, because half the BJJ players I know have 'European Champion' on their website because they won one match by advantage in Master 3 Light Feather Purple.

Where does Bodycomb call himself "Sambo World Champion" again? A quick Google isn't turning it up for me?

So why don't you get off your high horse and stop calling people haters . No one is hating. Really stop with the caping and victim complex.
No one has used 'haters' apart from you and I don't feel super victimised because you've got a bug up your arse about some guy I've never even met. You're just kind of annoying.

Last edited:
Oh my bad it is
"
Selected Reilly Bodycomb Competition Achievements:

• Gold Medalist at Pan-American Sambo Championships (2016)

• Gold Medalist at the USA Sambo National Championships (2016)

• Gold Medalist at the Dutch Combat Sambo Open Championship (2016)

• Gold Medalist at the ADCC America Nationals Pro Division (2014)

• Defeats Casey Hudson at RMMA 27 via heel hook - Pro MMA (2013)

• Bronze Medalist in the British Sambo Open Championship (2012)

• Gold Medalist in the Dutch Sport Sambo Open Championship (2011
Also if a person called himself x champion in a division with 3 people or the Masters division. There would be blowback.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Yes training and sparring with world champions and adcc placers, doing judo in South Korea, sparring with LL and catch wrestlers. I am sure your perspective is so much wider than mine.

Oh btw I actually sparred with sambo guys in moscow the 3 times I visited

I don't have to imagine super hard, because half the BJJ players I know have 'European Champion' on their website because they won one match by advantage in Master 3 Light Feather Purple.

Those guys aren't praised online

No one has used 'haters' apart from you and I don't feel super victimised because you've got a bug up your arse about some guy I've never even met. You're just kind of annoying.

And you are acting like captain save a ho. Caping like your some kind of white knight. Dude no one is talking bad about him. Have I said anything negative about him? No I do shit on his illogical homoerotic fanboys tho.

Ok perhaps homoerotic was a little harsh.. i should say bi-curious fanboys.

Also if a person called himself x champion in a division with 3 people or the Masters division. There would be blowback.
So your quibble is now that he accurately describes his competition wins, but they aren't a big enough deal as far as you're concerned? The Pan American is the highest accolade listed there and it's entirely legit http://www.sambo-fias.org/en/events...henshchiny-boevoe-sambo/results/?tab=20030753 , in the proper Sambo org; not some kind of dodgy knock-off one as you suggested earlier?

Back