Reebok deal going from bad to worse - UFC's top talent is starting to migrate to Bellator

LOL. Are people STILL bitching about Viacom money??
Bellator is not getting a shit ton of money from Viacom.

Last card had less than 600 000 viewers does not seem to me like Viacom would see that as a reason to dump loads of cash into Bellator.

bellator have been signing worn out old fighters and seem to be happy about that.

Bellator wants Sterling.. it's only a matter of time.

Hmmm but did not Jeremy Bother (SP?) say Bellator was not interested in him at all?
I think there is a tweet floating around here about that.

Hopefully when the Reebok deal runs out, they can workout a deal with Nike,UA or Adidas.

I love these posts by people who are trying to lay the blame on the Reebok deal. Sure it has something to do with it, but not as much as people think, as the show/win money from the UFC, along with the bonus potential, blows the sponsorship money from other orgs out the window (Also fighters always neglect to mention that the big $$$ sponsorship deals also include lots of out of the ring activities. They'll get $10,000 from a sponsor, but that also means they have to give up 5-10 days to go to signing and do photoshoots and what not)

Benson went to Bellator because he was in a no-mans land. He would be a gate keeper at 155 and a year + out of title contention, if he can even make weight at 155 anymore. And at 170 he'd have a hard time hanging with guys who are much bigger than him. He'll never out wrestle the Condits, Lawlers and Hendricks', and there's a good chance all three KO him.

Benson needed a fresh start where he could be king of the hill, and in Bellator that's not very hard for a great fighter like Benson to do. Bellator does have great up and coming fighters and many exciting fighters, but lets face it, none are even close to being on the level of Benson.

If a fighter leaves/refuses the UFC because of the Reebok deal it says more about the fighter than the sponsorship. It tell you that fighter knows he has no chance at being the best, he doesn't have confidence in himself and isn't cut out for the big time. Because whats better, fighting in Bellator for $50K and $50K sponsorship (if you're the best as their low level fighters get $1K and sometimes come out with 1 or 2 sponsors) or trying your luck in the UFC where a championship fight could net you millions.

I think David Branch will be a key figure in deciding what is going on with sponsorship money versus UFC's Win +weak Reebok money. He basically said he wants out of WSOF, saying he'll go where the money is and it's business, so if he goes to the UFC we know that lies of $40K sponsorships are just that, complete BS.

Again...you do realize that Viacom is fucking HUGE...right?

And how much money has Viacom been dumping into Bellator?
Do tell...

If Benson believed he was on his way up he would have taken the contract the UFC offered which would have paid him huge if he won a title in either division. Benson doesn't believe himself that he'll win a title. Why do you have to make pretend he does?

nope. The deal only paid better if he won the UFC belt. That's a pretty big gamble for most fighters and a shitty way to treat Benson.

I love these posts by people who are trying to lay the blame on the Reebok deal. Sure it has something to do with it, but not as much as people think, as the show/win money from the UFC, along with the bonus potential, blows the sponsorship money from other orgs out the window (Also fighters always neglect to mention that the big $$$ sponsorship deals also include lots of out of the ring activities. They'll get $10,000 from a sponsor, but that also means they have to give up 5-10 days to go to signing and do photoshoots and what not)

Benson went to Bellator because he was in a no-mans land. He would be a gate keeper at 155 and a year + out of title contention, if he can even make weight at 155 anymore. And at 170 he'd have a hard time hanging with guys who are much bigger than him. He'll never out wrestle the Condits, Lawlers and Hendricks', and there's a good chance all three KO him.

Benson needed a fresh start where he could be king of the hill, and in Bellator that's not very hard for a great fighter like Benson to do. Bellator does have great up and coming fighters and many exciting fighters, but lets face it, none are even close to being on the level of Benson.

If a fighter leaves/refuses the UFC because of the Reebok deal it says more about the fighter than the sponsorship. It tell you that fighter knows he has no chance at being the best, he doesn't have confidence in himself and isn't cut out for the big time. Because whats better, fighting in Bellator for $50K and $50K sponsorship (if you're the best as their low level fighters get $1K and sometimes come out with 1 or 2 sponsors) or trying your luck in the UFC where a championship fight could net you millions.

I think David Branch will be a key figure in deciding what is going on with sponsorship money versus UFC's Win +weak Reebok money. He basically said he wants out of WSOF, saying he'll go where the money is and it's business, so if he goes to the UFC we know that lies of $40K sponsorships are just that, complete BS.

Beson made more than 10k here and there from the odd sponsor. Your premise is flawed from the start.

Beson made more than 10k here and there from the odd sponsor. Your premise is flawed from the start.

When guys have shorts with 20 sponsors on them you really think they're getting $20K a sponsor? If a sponsor gave a guy $10K for a sponsorship they need to get $100K in business off of that. My point wasn't about the money amount (but how out of my 300 words you pulled that random comment out) but about how the idea of sponsorship isn't exactly what everyone around here throws around, if a fighter wants to make OK money it's much more than just wearing a patch or T-Shirt.

Also i'm not sure you understand what "premise" means.

My premise is that fighters are moving from the UFC because they have reached a ceiling and if they thought they could continue to move up they'd stay with the company that in the end can pay them much more.

The $10K sponsorship comment is a single thought in a bigger point being made.

nope. The deal only paid better if he won the UFC belt. That's a pretty big gamble for most fighters and a shitty way to treat Benson.

No shit.. that's the point.

Benson doesn't have much of a chance to get a title shot in either division at this point.

And how much money has Viacom been dumping into Bellator?
Do tell...

As much as MMA deems it to be profitable would be my guess. They are not being dumb about it liek affliction or even strikforce. they are slowly building a brand. As their brand grows and becomes better known, they will grow.

Maybe you find it intimidating that the competitor for the UFC actually has deeper pockets?

The UFC isn't going to be purchasing Bellator any time soon fella.

Last edited:
No shit.. that's the point.

Benson doesn't have much of a chance to get a title shot in either division at this point.

We are talking about the UFC right?

The UFC that gave Chael a shot at Jones just cause he stepped up in 2 weeks notice...

Nick Diaz got a title shot coming off of what? Two losses?

How fast did Brock get his title shot?

The UFC that is giving Honda an undeserved rematch for the title...

The UFC that is giving Cain an undeserved rematch for the title...

The UFC that is giving TheChris and undeserved rematch for the title...

Aldo (probably the only one who actually DOES deserve a rematch isn't getting his...

Don't even try to pretend like their is a system as to who gets a shot and who doesn't. Stipe would like to have a word with you, Edgar...would like to have a word with you. It's not a sport, it's sport entertainment. In that light, understand that basically anyone can get a chance at any division...at any time.

Oh...and this is also ignoring the fact that Edgar is up for another title shot (deserved) having previously held the belt before but losing almost every big title fight he's been in...

And lets not forget that RDA has been in the UFC since 2008 and only now has the belt.

"rational" my ass...

Last edited:
We are talking about the UFC right?

The UFC that gave Chael a shot at Jones just cause he stepped up in 2 weeks notice...

Nick Diaz got a title shot coming off of what? Two losses?

How fast did Brock get his title shot?

The UFC that is giving Honda an undeserved rematch for the title...

The UFC that is giving Cain an undeserved rematch for the title...

The UFC that is giving TheChris and undeserved rematch for the title...

Aldo (probably the only one who actually DOES deserve a rematch isn't getting his...

Don't even try to pretend like their is a system as to who gets a shot and who doesn't. Stipe would like to have a word with you, Edgar...would like to have a word with you. It's not a sport, it's sport entertainment. In that light, understand that basically anyone can get a chance at any division...at any time.

Oh...and this is also ignoring the fact that Edgar is up for another title shot (deserved) having previously held the belt before but losing almost every big title fight he's been in...

And lets not forget that RDA has been in the UFC since 2008 and only now has the belt.

"rational" my ass...

Nice rant, but you're proving my point.

Benson won't be getting a title shot in either division, let alone be able to win one.

I'm not pretending there is a system at all, I'm well aware this is entertainment and title shots are awarded based off who people want to see rather than who is the most deserving, but I'm also willing to admit they are awarded based off who is available at the time and also who the reigning champion wants to fight.

People don't want to see another indecisive Benson split decision title fight. I think most people were pleased when Benson had his block knocked off by RDA.

I'm not a fool like most of you Sherdoggers who buy the hype that MMA is a sport. It's entertainment and a business first. The whole MMA is a sport thing was a lie told to get it sanctioned and more mainstream.

Only hard core people know who bellator are.

Benson fighting there wont change that

Nice rant, but you're proving my point.

Benson won't be getting a title shot in either division, let alone be able to win one.

I'm not pretending there is a system at all, I'm well aware this is entertainment and title shots are awarded based off who people want to see rather than who is the most deserving, but I'm also willing to admit they are awarded based off who is available at the time and also who the reigning champion wants to fight.

People don't want to see another indecisive Benson split decision title fight. I think most people were pleased when Benson had his block knocked off by RDA.

I'm not a fool like most of you Sherdoggers who buy the hype that MMA is a sport. It's entertainment and a business first. The whole MMA is a sport thing was a lie told to get it sanctioned and more mainstream.

No...part of the point was that you can't predict any 1 fighter's skill sets that they may develop. Look at RDA. Look at Arlovski....For all you know Benson might get hands. And besides that who gives a fuck? He's a solid skilled fighter regardless.

No...part of the point was that you can't predict any 1 fighter's skill sets that they may develop. Look at RDA. Look at Arlovski....For all you know Benson might get hands. And besides that who gives a fuck? He's a solid skilled fighter regardless.

That wasn't even close to the point you were trying to make in the post I quoted.

Nice job trying to pivot though.

The point you were trying to make in the post I quoted was that UFC are big meanies and they give title shots to whoever they want and that there is no real system for determining who gets title shots.

That wasn't even close to the point you were trying to make in the post I quoted.

Nice job trying to pivot though.

The point you were trying to make in the post I quoted was that UFC are big meanies and they give title shots to whoever they want and that there is no real system for determining who gets title shots.

Remember that part near the end of the same post where I made reference to RDA being in the ufc since 2008? It was in reference to you NOT KNOWING THE FUTURE of any one fighter. So don't fucking pretend that like Uncle Fester's parroting that Bendo is on the downhill of his career. You don't know. Fester doesn't know.

I don't think Reebok was a factor in Bendo leaving. If the UFC paid him more than Bellator, he would've stayed. They obviously didn't offer him enough money. I personally think that Henderson is on a downturn but I also think he's a useful fighter to have on your roster because he'll take fights on short notice.

Back