Reebok deal going from bad to worse - UFC's top talent is starting to migrate to Bellator

Absolutely they could. I'm sure that as it keeps gaining in popularity, they will keep investing slightly more money into Bellator as it grows it's brand on it's own.

This is certainly possible but the issue is a it's a TV company running an MMA promotion. Companies like this almost never want to invest to much into MMA because it's a volatile business. So why start investing in something like this that is so volatile when you already have a nice safe business that's making plenty of money?

This is certainly possible but the issue is a it's a TV company running an MMA promotion. Companies like this almost never want to invest to much into MMA because it's a volatile business. So why start investing in something like this that is so volatile when you already have a nice safe business that's making plenty of money?

Because they see UFC making money doing it? So far they have done things pretty smartly. They didn't start out trying to go toe to toe with the UFC. They started small, made some good acquisitions (specically snagging Coker away from the UFC) They are a smaller business model that is trying to slowly build up it's name.

I don't think they will go the way of Strikeforce, or Affliction. But right now I just want them to be that option that fighters can use to stop getting screwed by the UFC.

The UFC had a great thing going BEFORE the reebok deal.

That will take years and years and most likely not happen.
All signs point to Viacom not wanting to go after UFC.
They want inexpensive TV programming, since they are a TV company.

We will see.

how long does the deal last for? they don't need to renew it after it expires, or they can pay a fee to just end it now which I doubt they will do

Because they see UFC making money doing it? So far they have done things pretty smartly. They didn't start out trying to go toe to toe with the UFC. They started small, made some good acquisitions (specically snagging Coker away from the UFC) They are a smaller business model that is trying to slowly build up it's name.

I don't think they will go the way of Strikeforce, or Affliction. But right now I just want them to be that option that fighters can use to stop getting screwed by the UFC.

The UFC had a great thing going BEFORE the reebok deal.

They did try and compete with the UFC though because they had the PPV that failed. Only recently have they stepped back and sort of reigned everything in. I don't think Coker means much honestly. The execs at Spike have no interest in someone else running Bellator that's why they got rid of Bjorn because he didn't agree with their vision. Do you honestly think they are going to bring in someone else who just wants to do his own thing? Nope Coker was brought in because he is popular with fighters and fans. He's like the face of the company pretty much while the Spike execs run the show. I guess it was smart in that it gets the hardcore fans behind you but the casual don't care which is what Bellator needs to try and get more of.

Either way lately I feel Bellator has done some smart and dumb things. I feel they should go back to doing a lot of shows like before because it helps bring awareness to their brand. They are on so infrequently now that I feel it'll take even longer to reach their goal.

They did try and compete with the UFC though because they had the PPV that failed. Only recently have they stepped back and sort of reigned everything in. I don't think Coker means much honestly. The execs at Spike have no interest in someone else running Bellator that's why they got rid of Bjorn because he didn't agree with their vision. Do you honestly think they are going to bring in someone else who just wants to do his own thing? Nope Coker was brought in because he is popular with fighters and fans. He's like the face of the company pretty much while the Spike execs run the show. I guess it was smart in that it gets the hardcore fans behind you but the casual don't care which is what Bellator needs to try and get more of.

Either way lately I feel Bellator has done some smart and dumb things. I feel they should go back to doing a lot of shows like before because it helps bring awareness to their brand. They are on so infrequently now that I feel it'll take even longer to reach their goal.

Bellator hasn't done anything yet as shitty and stupid as the Reebok deal.

Can you think of ANYTHING good that has come from that deal?

Sorry...outside of this;

giblertmelendez.jpg

Last edited:
Bellator hasn't done anything yet as shitty and stupid as the Reebok deal.

Can you think of ANYTHING good that has come from that deal?

Sorry...outside of this;

giblertmelendez.jpg

Well like I said before some fighters have come out and said they like it because they make more now. Not everyone was making 100G's like Brendan Schaub was. Overall the fighters are being screwed but lets not ignore the guys who aren't being screwed and are actually benefiting. So once the rebook deal is gone like you want it to be those fighters will once again go back to making nothing like they were before. So just understand that no matter what fighters will be screwed whether rebook deal stays or goes.

Well like I said before some fighters have come out and said they like it because they make more now. Not everyone was making 100G's like Brendan Schaub was. Overall the fighters are being screwed but lets not ignore the guys who aren't being screwed and are actually benefiting. So once the rebook deal is gone like you want it to be those fighters will once again go back to making nothing like they were before. So just understand that no matter what fighters will be screwed whether rebook deal stays or goes.

It's not just screwing over the fighters out of sponsorship pay which in some cases accounted for most of their revenue...(because really, who the fuck can be a fighter off of 8/8 or even 10/10?

It's taking the brand of the fighter and their individuality of shirts and colors and style and diluting all that into these bland black t shirts which look like shit on everyone.

chris-weidman-walkout-tee-_front__2.jpg

turned into this;
thumb.aspx

Ya got fighters fighting with black shorts on white vs white shorts on black...it's not even red and blue for crying out loud its white on black vs black on white. You can't make this shit up with how this stupid deal just ripped all the character out of the sport.

The deal is just all around fucking failure that has made allot of people flat out HATE Reebok. Piss poor decision was piss poor, trumping anything Bellator has fucked up on so far.

How am I dense?

I don't disagree with Benson's move at all.. and you actually are agreeing with me.

The chance of Benson becoming champion are slim. I know this, you know, this, Benson knows this, the UFC knows this. He's 32 and it makes all the sense in the world to take money fights.

I guess where we differ is that I respect UFC's right not to have to pay him exactly what he wants if they don't think he's worth it.

Sorry, I must have misread you completely, because I also agree that the UFC has the right to do so. Not a fan of Dana shitting on Bendo, despite not being a fan of him AT ALL, but other than that, he was probably not worth the bucks he was asking.

Sorry, I must have misread you completely, because I also agree that the UFC has the right to do so. Not a fan of Dana shitting on Bendo, despite not being a fan of him AT ALL, but other than that, he was probably not worth the bucks he was asking.

There comes a point in a fighter's career when they are worth more to the competition than they are to the UFC even if the UFC is well within in their means to make up the difference.

It's not just screwing over the fighters out of sponsorship pay which in some cases accounted for most of their revenue...(because really, who the fuck can be a fighter off of 8/8 or even 10/10?

It's taking the brand of the fighter and their individuality of shirts and colors and style and diluting all that into these bland black t shirts which look like shit on everyone.

turned into this;
thumb.aspx

Ya got fighters fighting with black shorts on white vs white shorts on black...it's not even red and blue for crying out loud its white on black vs black on white. You can't make this shit up with how this stupid deal just ripped all the character out of the sport.

The deal is just all around fucking failure that has made allot of people flat out HATE Reebok. Piss poor decision was piss poor, trumping anything Bellator has fucked up on so far.

Badboy still sponsor Weidman
http://chrisweidman.com/pages/sponsors

Dana and the Fertitta's took the Reebok deal simply as a money grab for themselves.

They say this deal was for the fighters, to simplify things, so the fighters wouldn't have to worry about getting screwed by sponsors anymore. I think, at this point, the fighters would rather take their chances getting screwed by sponsors.

Funny part is, look at how quick this reebok deal was put together after the fighters lawsuit was starting to come together.

This reebok deal was put together as a means to pay off as much legal fees as possible because the ufc owners didn't want to pay out of pocket. They also needed the cash to protect their personal assets in case they lose the lawsuit. And if they win, well, they are just that much farther ahead after screwing the fighters.

I guarantee at the end of this reebok contract, if you add up the numbers and subtract what was paid out to the fighters, the Fertitta's, dana, and the other ufc owners probably pocketed 75% of the contract money.

I will also guarantee you that if reebok only agreed to pay the fighters directly, the ufc owners never would have took the deal.

turned into this;
thumb.aspx

I'll be honest I like the rebook clothing when it comes to MMA clothes. IMO MMA clothing is embarrassing to wear almost 90% of the time. Ecko has made some decent clothes but I think they're the only ones I've seen put out decent MMA clothing. Even then I've seen them release shirts with skulls on it and shit. In these picture I'd rather wear the rebook shirt than the Bad Boy one. I mean seriously who the fuck wants to wear a shirt that says Bad boy on it?

I'll be honest I like the rebook clothing when it comes to MMA clothes. IMO MMA clothing is embarrassing to wear almost 90% of the time. Ecko has made some decent clothes but I think they're the only ones I've seen put out decent MMA clothing. Even then I've seen them release shirts with skulls on it and shit. In these picture I'd rather wear the rebook shirt than the Bad Boy one. I mean seriously who the fuck wants to wear a shirt that says Bad boy on it?

No Fear and Big Johnson need to get in the MMA game.

Lots of people! The point is that one has character, is interesting and has some personality to it. The other is bland, hitler soulless and boring. Doesn't have to say badboy...or have skulls. It just has to speak and say something unique about the fighter.

You like the reebok shit? Do you also enjoy carpenter beige walls? The default windows desketop? Get the point? Bland is bland. Those are bland.

When weidman came out and fought Anderson it was a nice clash of two camps and their colors.

130705162210-anderson-silva-chris-weidman-ufc-162-single-image-cut.jpg

Andy came out with yellow and black, Wiedmen came out with his colors of blue, black and white. When Crocop fought he had his signature red checkered shorts...GSP came out in his signature gi.

hayabusa-georges-st-pierre-ufc-167-walkout-gi.jpg

Mirko_Cro-Cop261_display_image.jpg

These small things speak to the uniqueness of the fighter. But now we dress them all in these HOLY SHIT lifeless designs which all look more or less the same.

FightersInFightKit.jpg

Joseph_Benavidez_vs_Ali_Bagautinov.jpg

It's a BAD call in design. You might not want to admit to that because you seem to wanna trumpet any and all things UFC, but Bellator has yet to make a reebok deal sized fuck up.

And don't give me this bullshit about "work in progress" crap. It wasn't broken before. We as fans didn't need a giant UFC logo on every fucking fighter and we didn't ask for it.

And they need to pay for it, because I hate what it's done to this sport both as a fan watching this shit and for the fighters themselves..

Last edited:
Lots of people! The point is that one has character, is interesting and has some personality to it. The other is bland, hitler soulless and boring. Doesn't have to say badboy...or have skulls. It just has to speak and say something unique about the fighter.

You like the reebok shit? Do you also enjoy carpenter beige walls? The default windows desketop? Get the point? Bland is bland. Those are bland.

When weidman came out and fought Anderson it was a nice clash of two camps and their colors.

Andy came out with yellow and black, Wiedmen came out with his colors of blue, black and white. When Crocop fought he had his signature red checkered shorts...GSP came out in his signature gi.

These small things speak to the uniqueness of the fighter. But now we dress them all in these HOLY SHIT lifeless designs which all look more or less the same.

Joseph_Benavidez_vs_Ali_Bagautinov.jpg

It's a BAD call in design. You might not want to admit to that because you seem to wanna trumpet any and all things UFC, but Bellator has yet to make a reebok deal sized fuck up.

And don't give me this bullshit about "work in progress" crap. It wasn't broken before. We as fans didn't need a giant UFC logo on every fucking fighter and we didn't ask for it.

And they need to pay for it, because I hate what it's done to this sport both as a fan watching this shit and for the fighters themselves..

I like the rebook stuff compared to MMA clothes I've seen in general. They're almost all junk except for like I said Ecko which has some decent stuff. Overall no I wouldn't wear any of it except Ecko and just normal clothes. You seem to put more emphasis on what fighters wear and their clothing then I do. I don't care about that stuff it literally means nothing to me. All I care about is seeing the best fight the best as long as they have clothes on I'm good. I agree the rebook clothes in general compared to other clothes is a bad call in design. Compared to MMA clothes in general? It's not bad although the material seems like it's made from silk or something like that which seems stupid. As far as work in progress I don't know if it's a work in progress and again it's not something I care about cause what fighters wear means nothing to me. That link you shared of Anderson and Weidman literally had no idea that's what they wore and I would never care about that. Those aren't the sort of things that stick out in my mind when it comes to big fights like that.

Yea I've heard this argument before. Here's my issue with it. In boxing this system is horrible look at the issue with Floyd and Manny I honestly just don't want the fighters to have so much power. I know the UFC abuses their power but people are stupid if they don't think the fighters will do the same once they have the power. I think the athletes are fine the only division that's bad is HW but that will never change even with more money. No guy is going to choose to risk getting embarrassed in MMA when he can make millions playing football.

Correct, I would absolutely despise if MMA became anything like boxing (and I've been a casual fan of boxing since the year 2006). Is it possible that some kind of balance could be made where the organizations have a considerable amount of political power and the MMA Fighters also have a considerable amount of political power? Or am I thinking about what the UFC actually was BEFORE the Reebok deal (which means that I am imagining a condition that actually existed in the past)?

The way that the sport of Boxing is nowadays, it seems like all of the individuals involved with it (even the fans of boxing) have been convinced that elite battles only occur once every 4 years. In MMA, there are elite battles every 4 months.

I think that you are underestimating the power of currency. If MMA keeps increasing the payment for the athletes on the entire planet, it is possible (however unlikely) that they can COMPETE DIRECTLY for the contracts of everyone that is considered "too amazing" for them. I'm thinking about athletes that have been in (and would otherwise have gone to) the NBA, NFL, NHL, Summer Olympics, Winter Olympics, Barclays Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A TIM, and everywhere else. By the way, when I say the Summer and Winter Olympics, I mean all of the disciplines (not only boxing, wrestling, and the like).

When I envision the future of MMA, what I see is a utopia that is unprecedented (and very unlikely). However, I always say that anything is possible and boxing was probably the most popular sport (out of all sports, not only combative sports) on the planet during the 1960's.

After I post this message, I know that most individuals will say that this future will never happen but I can definitely dream. Just imagine it, all of the "Light Heavyweights" and "Heavyweights" in the NBA choosing to be a full-time MMA Fighter instead of a full-time Basketball Competitor.

LeBron James making his MMA debut at age 18 (and then he stays in MMA for many years).

Steve Nash making his MMA debut at age 19.

So on and so forth.

Last edited:
Back