Reebok deal going from bad to worse - UFC's top talent is starting to migrate to Bellator

Psychedelic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I see Benson Henderson migrating to Bellator and Aljo Sterling potentially moving there too as a big, big deal.

At first, fighters who were being fed crumbs by the Baldfather never had much of a choice nor bargaining power regarding their paychecks. Plus, the fact that they could get their own sponsors made it a no-brainer for them to be contracted with the UFC. Even mid-tier fighters like Brendan Schaub made 200,000$ per fight in sponsor money. Mighty Mouse had a neat sponsorship with Microsoft X-box. Pretty much every relevant fighter had his short plastered with sponsors, and that was their main source of income. It's not like they relied much on the 5k/5k minimum salary (that was generously bumped to 10k/10k after the reebawk deal) that the Baldfather used to grant them.

Enter the Reebok deal clusterfuck. Aside from the cute stuff like Giblert, Anderson Aldo, Anthony "The Mauler" Pettis ... now we're starting to see the real repercussions of the Reebawk deal.

As the sport is evolving, fighters are starting to take their MMA careers more seriously, and a lot of dissenting voices are being increasingly heard regarding fighter pay. Pretty much every single fighter on the roster is complaining about fighter pay in one way or another, from established fighters like Cerrone, to rising prospects like Aljo Sterling, to the legion of journeymen making fun of Sage's loss and bringing up fighter pay. The only exception to this rule are mega-draws like Conor and Ronda, and fighters with a cult following like Nick Diaz.

Before the Bendo move to Bellator, only washed up fighters used to go to UFC's main rival promotion. For the first time, we're seeing top talent move to Bellator in their prime, and this is huge.

As the 7 year Reebok deal progresses and top fighters who don't draw much start to look after their financial interest, we'll see more and more top talent move to Bellator.

The Reebok deal is officially one of the most shortsighted deals in the history of sports. A good promoter does not a good businessman make.

I won't lie though, I'm enjoying every second of this Reebok trainwreck as it unfolds.

Last edited:
if it continues to drive fighters away, i will consider it a positive-

UFC will have to abandon the deal, possbily give a modest pay raise, and look like total lames.

to me its worth losing 2-3 Bendos and Aljos if it ends up killing the Reebok deal, and getting the Aljos paid b4 the Sages..

Sometimes it takes a combination of both outcry, and even a little discomfort for an organization to admit they screwed up....

things dont always get fixed as fast as us getting our "LIKE" button back.

Certainly when you have a fighter who may have had a title run,but are say a year away from another shot,and nothings guaranteed,and you got guys like conor eating up all the money,guys in that position are going to be tempted to leave.

No.

Aljamain hasn't signed with Bellator. Benson has.

Benson is on the way down. Aljamain is on the way up.

If Aljo goes to Bellator, that would be very bad for the UFC.

Sterling is gone?

sterling hasnt signed with bellator. stop spreading BS

No.

Aljamain hasn't signed with Bellator. Benson has.

Benson is on the way down. Aljamain is on the way up.

If Aljo goes to Bellator, that would be very bad for the UFC.
Benson is not on the way down. Benson just went to a new weight class. And he started that new weight class pretty strong. Don't listen to uncle Dana trying to tell us Bendo is on his way down.

i haven't seen any sources saying aljo signed to bellator is that confirmed?

Benson is not on the way down. Benson just went to a new weight class. And he started that new weight class pretty strong. Don't listen to uncle Dana trying to tell us Bendo is on his way down.

If Benson believed he was on his way up he would have taken the contract the UFC offered which would have paid him huge if he won a title in either division. Benson doesn't believe himself that he'll win a title. Why do you have to make pretend he does?

What we know :
  • Aljo tweeted "I put out my initial @UFC offer to justify my frustrations. Everything else will be btw BellatorFC, UFC, WSOF and I."
  • Aljo and Benson have the same manager.
  • Their managed said that Aljo is "on deck".
It's correct though, Sterling hasn't moved officially to Bellator yet and I edited the thread accordingly.

Last edited:
It's insane that we're still stuck in this deal for six more years. There's going to be a lot of fighters that'll have been priced out of the UFC by the end of this deal.

Its not a bid deal if Bendo left and Aljo may leave. There was an article I read yesterday regarding this and Ben Henderson at this point was nothing but a solid name and fill in fighter. Guys like Ben are important to the UFC when they are rising or at the top, so the UFC already had that with Ben and he wasnt a big draw. From now on he will only drop in the rankings and wont develop any drawing power, but the UFC will still have to pay his bigger salary.

The article talked about how the UFC is a PPV based model and ratings based with the Fox deal. The UFC needs guys that can pull ratings and they build fighters up to be successful around these models. Ben unfortunately is passed his prime when it come to this. Alfo on the other hand either isnt worth it yet for the UFC or they just want to put their foot down and make a point.

If Benson believed he was on his way up he would have taken the contract the UFC offered which would have paid him huge if he won a title in either division. Benson doesn't believe himself that he'll win a title. Why do you have to make pretend he does?
First off, Benson is a former defending champion. Second, paying some one less on the table and if he becomes champion he will get 5 times that is absurd. He is negotiating a contract, if he becomes champ again then he can negotiate a champions contract. UFC is obviously full of shit in that one.

Given the UFC's track record for doling out title fights, I wouldn't hazard my career and financial stability on their whims. You think the UFC had any intention of letting Ben anywhere near a title fight again regardless of any winning streak he might be able to throw together? And if so, how long do you think they would keep him waiting on that shot?

Benson did the right thing for his career. Hopefully more will do the same.

Last edited:
The way you put it about reebok makes sense. In the last year of the reebok contract they may be paying the same $$ they are now. With inflation in a growing sport, that will have an impact on renegotiations positively, for fighters, who could get way more lucrative sponsorship, elseware.

He has been champ, and seen what he was paid then. I am sure he is not a millionaire from being a UFC champ, and he was never paid huge from winning a title. I guess Bellator promised him more money.

Carraway said that it was going to cost Miesha approximately $55-60k per fight. It's ridiculous. About 25% of her income.

I don't think sponsorship is a major part of Benson's leaving. IMO, it's just a flat pay issue, he wants a bigger salary and Bellator are willing to pay him more.

Yeah because everyone that deserves a title shot actually gets it……only a fool would not hedge his bets and go for the sure thing. He did the right thing, and by way of his example you will see many more migrating over as their contracts expire.

Back