Red flags in life you ignored?

Falconkick

A charming asshole
Yellow Card
Reaction score
I was an alcoholic for 9 years. December 16th was a year sober for me.....I find myself sometimes thinking of all the red flags that told me to change my ways. Some I didnt see, many I did and ignored.....

The health issues I encountered but since reversed thankfully....

The DUIs

The fights, lost friendships and relationships....there have been many

One I am thinking about currently is the time I spit on a policeman because I was a 10 minute walk from my apartment when he pulled up and tried to get me in the drunk tank. I explained how I was so close...just let me walk home or drive me? Since it is so close....he denied so I said "go fuck yourself than" and I spit in his face. He handcuffed me and beat the piss out of me. I mean, he slammed my face against the steel bench in back of the paddy wagon. He whooped me. It is a miricle I never lost any teeth. Just nerve damage around my cheek....I am fuckin dumbfounded nothing broke in my face.

I woke up in the drunk tank with a terribly swelled up bruised face. Black eyes, a big cut along my neck lol....I had a tiny mole on my neck..it got sliced off in the beating....It could of been worse, I did technically assault a police officer....But maybe he figured the brutal beating he put on me was enough...In which case I am thankful I guess...Or maybe those charges would of got me sober than....the ultimate hard way...meh anyways..

Nothing could have been done about it the morning after. I was pissed and was told "Do you want to go back in there?" When I gave them shit......I cut my losses and left....I am glad I got out still young(27) and am over a year sober....But damn..I wish I knew to quit it after that....or before lol. Oh well....guys, your stories?

Alcohol for sure.

Id say all of them really, but all credit is due to my great and wise parents and brothers.

edit: i dont know why i read the title as red flags you avoided, but that's how i answered.

Last edited:
I dont see how you avoided a red flag. Are you dunk again TS?

<LikeReally5>
<{vega}>
<{ohyeah}>

I dont see how you avoided a red flag. Are you dunk again TS?

Lol no man. Sober over a year and there were many many red flags telling me to quit and for the longest time I didnt....Scary health issues was the last straw

Lol no man. Sober over a year and there were many many red flags telling me to quit and for the longest time I didnt....Scary health issues was the last straw

<TheWire1>
<seedat>

Alcohol for sure.

Id say all of them really, but all credit is due to my great and wise parents and brothers.
Care to elaborate on your wise family actions?

To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

Im so done with it...hope othera enjoy responsibly...my new addiction is living clean. Everyday is a sense of accomplishment.

Just a glass of good red a day (mid afternoon) in my private office, keeps me cheerful to deal with all the bullshit in my life. It's all about moderation brah

See that's the thing, most of the time you know you're leading yourself into absolute hell and you're screaming at yourself every bit of the way.

I guess the last big one for me was when I noticed my car acting funny after a long drive but didn't bother to check on it before attempting another long drive and blew a head gasket in the process.

kept using benzos even though I blacked out every time and took every last pill. knew it was very dangerous considering I was also an opiate abuser. Took a while but I finally overdosed and died for a few minutes. Got lucky.

Knew my ex wasnt the one for me. She did a lot that got on my nerves. Tried to force it to work because its what I was used to/comfortable with. Didnt work.

Last edited:
In trying to answer your question I've had a therapeutic moment of self realisation - I am massively over worked and over stressed right now and only taking on more and more, something will give soon if I don't make some changes.

In the past however there's a bunch:

Ignoring a nagging pain in my shoulder and continuing to train hard, which led to a dislocation and passive rehab over the next 2 years to correct shoulder issues.

Not ended a (number of) relationships earlier, because it was easier in the immediate to stay with the person.

On the flip side, maybe letting one go willingly.

Everything is different in hindsight and nostalgia, so who is to really say at this point.

Women and relationships. How you think things will get better with time but they never do. How you think you can change a person, but you can't. Too bad life doesn't come with instructions, but you can certainly learn from the mistakes of others. Also, having good parents makes a huge difference. Never got involved with drugs or alcohol, women was my vice.

I am massively over worked and over stressed right now and only taking on more and more, something will give soon if I don't make some changes.

I've been there myself. Yeah, you are going to blow a 'gasket' soon enough. Burn out. Went through that right before I retired from the military. Took me a year to 'decompress'. Life was miserable. You need to shift down to 2nd gear. Sleep, eat, and exercise. Do something that makes you happy everyday for a few hours. Find a hobby. If you don't (slow down), your body will do it for you, and it won't be pleasant. It will start when you begin to loose weight due to stress. Good luck.

I've been there myself. Yeah, you are going to blow a 'gasket' soon enough. Burn out. Went through that right before I retired from the military. Took me a year to 'decompress'. Life was miserable. You need to shift down to 2nd gear. Sleep, eat, and exercise. Do something that makes you happy everyday for a few hours. Find a hobby. If you don't (slow down), your body will do it for you, and it won't be pleasant. It will start when you begin to loose weight due to stress. Good luck.

I appreciate the honest advice, thanks. Turned my phone off after work today and went and got a burger and just chilled in quiet by myself, was good times.

See that's the thing, most of the time you know you're leading yourself into absolute hell and you're screaming at yourself every bit of the way.

I guess the last big one for me was when I noticed my car acting funny after a long drive but didn't bother to check on it before attempting another long drive and blew a head gasket in the process.

Do you drive a Subaru? And if so, 90-100,000 miles?

My ex wife had a difficult childhood, and I thought I could give her stability that would make her happy.

Never get into a relationship thinking you can be the other person's rock. If they're not stable they'll just ruin your stability.

Back