Squat 180
Bench 115 -> mission aborted -> new goal: SOHP 80
Shut this log down before the year ends

Height: 6'
Weight: hovering between 185-200lbs

*ALL WEIGHTS IN KG UNLESS NOTED OTHERWISE*

*notation is: weight x reps x sets*

Historical testimony:
Goals: overcome injuries, lift hard and pain-free.

Timeframe: start getting into painfree lifting by the beginning of the summer (EDIT: this is now moved to the end of the summer; EDIT2: this is now moved to February 2011; EDIT3: FML!).

EDIT (4/14/2010): Starting numbers submitted for the S&P Big 4 comp:
Total: 429kg
Squat: 125kg (estimated but haven't put on my back anything heavier than 70kg since 2006)
Deadlift: 135kg (estimated but haven't pulled anything heavier than 100kg since 2006)
Bench: 105kg (estimated from 90kgx5 rep max in January)
SOHP: 64kg (estimated from 55kgx5 rep max in April)

Personal Bests (post-op/rehab):
Squat: 120x5 (July 2010) > 125x5 (Dec 2011)
Bench: N/A > 90x2 (Dec 2011)
Deadlift: N/A
SOHP: 60x5 (Oct 2010)

Last edited:
Training history: Many years of intense kick boxing training (amateur competition weight 174lb), with supplementary shitty cardio/power and shitty weight training. Never did a 1RM on anything; 6 RM for squats was 120kg @ 84kg BW (and at questionable depth).

Took a huge break from exercise since. I spent 2 years in Thailand working as a dive instructor during which I had no opportunities to train (besides bodyweight exercises every now and then). Before leaving Thailand I joined a Muay Thai camp for a month. Going full intensity 6 hours/day, 6 days/week after such a long break = big mistake. Results was a severe pain right below the knees.

Returning to Greece in January 2009 I joined the army for the mandatory 1-year military service. The knee pain got worse while doing military training at the border and the kneecaps started getting maltracking big-time. I got both knees operated in late June. That did nothing for the pain and made the patellar tracking much worse.

Knee issues: Rehabbing ever since the surgery. Got opinions from 8 different orthopedics, worked with 2 different physiotherapists and now working with the third. A lot of swimming and a lot of stretching.

Now I can almost walk with no problems, the kneecap tracking is still worse than the day before the surgery. Diagnoses vary a bit, but combining the different opinions there is a definite conclusion:

There is a bone edema at the inner tibial plateau of both knees. That also happens to be around the area where the pes anserinus tendon inserts into the bone and many clues point to the fact that a chronic pes anserinus bursitis/tendonitis has developed on both knees and the underlying bone edema prevents it from fully healing. According to some of the doctors, this will solve itself once the bone edema completely heals, but until then it is likely persist because of the change of the natural PH (cause by the edema). This has no direct connection to the kneecap maltracking.

The articular cartilage of the trochlea of both knees is softened, as can be seen from the arthroscopy video (one of the doctors classified it as chondropathy grade 2, some others simply referred to it as softening/degeneration/chondomalacia/chondropathy). That is probably connected to some extent to the kneecap not tracking properly (getting stuck and jumping/grinding instead of a smooth movement).

My opinion is that the maltracking is at least partly due to some muscular imbalances, changes in length and stiffening. I have seen great improvement through intensive stretching, although that improvement seems to have stopped much short of 100%. I recently started doing SMR every day, it is still too early to tell but I feel it will help towards further improvement.

Shoulder Issues: Old injury on both shoulders (dating back to 1999). The left shoulder seems to have healed (at least it hasn't hurt in quite a while) but the right shoulder never fully did. I always had issues when kick boxing but never took the time to really research and address them. Last month, when I started lifting I would be in significant pain while benching and 2 days there-after and a bit less pain while overhead pressing and 1 day after (max bench was 5 Reps at 210lb and max SOHP was 5 Reps at 125lb). After one month of thoughing-out the pain for 3 workout sessions per week, I understand I cannot make gains this way and need to address this issue before going back to pressing at full intensity.

Recent MRI showed supraspinatus tendonitis, synovitis in the rotator cuff area, possible SLAP tear, AC edema with small degenerative points. Doctor said it is not as bad as it sounds and as long as I can train painfree I don't have to resort to surgery.

I have always had noticeably round shoulders and a slight kyphosis. Nothing major enough to bother me aesthetically but enough to cause functional problems. I decided to work on muscular imbalances on the rotator cuff and the scapula muscles.

EDIT: Shoulder update: post #98. Shoulder update: post #325. Rehab update: post #351.

Last edited:
PHYSIOTHERAPY
Warm Up
Stationary Bike: 5 mins @ low intensity (up to level 10 on particular bike)
Cable Circuit (hip abductions, hip extentions, straight leg raises): 5 plates x 12 x 4
Main Exercises
Isokinetic Leg Curls: 10 reps x 4 sets
Isokinetic Lying Leg extensions: 10 reps x 4 sets

GYM
Warm Up:
Stationary Bike: 7 mins @ low intensity (levels 3 to 7)
Dynamic Stretching + bodyweight exercises: 15 mins

Squat
BW x 20 x 1
45 x 20 x 4
BW x 20 x 1

Bench Press
45 x 20 x 1
90 x 12 x 1
135 x 10 x 1
175 x 6 x 1 pain on right shoulder
155 x 10 x 4 relatively pain-free
110 x 17 x 1
65 x 25 x 1

BB Rows
45 x 20 x 1
90 x 10 x 1
135 x 10 x 2 after second set felt pain on left knee
135 x 10 x 2 without the "half deadlift" on every rep to avoid added stress on legs (lifted BB off ground at beginning of set, kept knees slightly bent and core at an angle slightly above horizontal until end of set)
90 x 15 x 1
45 x 20 x 1

@HOME
SMR (foam roller) - 25 mins (20 mins legs - 5 mins upper body)

EDIT: all weights in lbs

Friday:

The edema on the left foot hurts a lot today. Even when walking a few steps. I believe the BB Rows was where the line was crossed. I thought there would be no problem as last week I did same number of sets/reps with the same weight for the BB Rows, but on a day that my workout consisted only of Bench Press, BB Rows, Reverse Flys and SMR. It seems the additional stress on the legs from the physiotherapy and the light squats was enough to over do it.

Now I have to rest until the pain subsides, reset and take it more gradually. Same thing happened last month and that time it took 3 weeks for the pain to clear out. The timing is pretty ironic considering I just started this log yesterday, if this had happened a day earlier I wouldn't have started this log (but starting it anyway may be a positive thing).

Day off today, shoulder rehab exercises tomorrow.

SHOULDER REHAB + CORE (@GYM)

Warm Up: Dynamic Stretching - 10 mins

BB Cuban Press: 24x8x1, 35x8x1, 44x8x2
L Lateral Raise: 13x12x1
Side Lying DB Abduction: 11x12x1, 11x10x3 (right shoulder hurt considerably)
Cable External Rotations: 22X12x1, 33X8X2, 22x12x1 (right shoulder still weaker on these but catching up)

Slow Up/Slow Down: BWx12x2
Side Plank Hip Raise: BWx15x2
Hanging Straight Leg Raise: BWx12x2
Hanging Knee Raise: BWx20x1
45∘Hyper: BWx15x3

Face Pulls: 44x20x1, 66x12x1, 88x12x3
Overhead BB Shrugs: 24x25x1, 57x15x1, 70x15x1, 88x15x1
Reverse Shrugs: BWx20x2 (right shoulder hurt a bit)

@HOME
SMR (foam roller): 30' (20' legs - 10' upper body)

Welcome to the logs,

I didn't understand most of the medical language in your posts but can assume it hurts and is not getting better. What kind of pain management or anti-inflamatories do they have you on?

Hey, thanks for stopping by!

Yes, it is pretty confusing. I am not using any nsaids at the moment. I am currently taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin (TP's joint support, which also has a bit of MSM and Cissus), Calcium and Risedronate Sodium (it is normally destined for osteoporisis patients, but doctor said it may help with the bone edema).

Good luck with it. I ended up with multiple surgeries for my shoulder, luckily I've been able to avoid surgery on my knees up to this point.

@HOME

Warm Up: 20' - dynamic stretching, thoracic release (foam roller), shoulder mobility exercises

Push Ups: BW x 20 x 2
Med Ball Push Ups: BW x 12 x 4 (2 sets with ball on left hand and 2 set on right hand)
Swiss Ball Push Ups: BW x 15 x 2
Push Ups Plus: BW x 20 x 2 (just the "plus" part)

YTWL: 3kg x 8 x 4 x 2sets (8 reps on of each Y,T,W and L is one set)
Hanging For Time: BW x 40sec x 4 (hanging from bar while holding a chest-out/shoulders-down position)

Cool Down: 50' - shoulder mobility exercises, SMR (full body), stretching

Notes: Today I was supposed to do the "knee rehab" routine. As there is still some pain in the left leg I will let it rest for now. Tomorrow is my SOHP day so I decided to do an active rest workout for the shoulders instead. It ended up being more taxing on the shoulders than I intended. I will decide tomorrow whether or not I will postpone the SOHPs for one day.

Warm Up: 12' - Dynamic stretching, mobility exercises

SOHP
44 x 8
66 x 8
88 x 8
110 x 8 x 5
88 x 8
66 x 8

Chin Ups
BW x 10
5kg x 10 x 2
5kg x 9
BW X 10

RDLs
44 x 10
66 x 10
88 x 10 x 3
44 x 10

Cool Down: 30' SMR, 30' shoulder stretches

Notes: I unsure whether the shoulder will react better to higher volume or higher weights and lower volume, but today was the closest to a painfree SOHP I've had in a while. This is the first time I performed a thoracic release drill plus shoulder mobility stretches between each set and that might have helped a bit (can't be certain but I think I'll keep this up). I ditched the DLs in order to give some more rest to the knees. I added some really light RDLs at the end of the workout in order to keep the DL muscles active.

KNEES REHAB

Stationary Bike: 7' - levels 3-7

Single-Leg Leg Curl: 20x12, 25x10x3
Cable Hip Abduction: 20x12x3
Cable Standing Knee Raise: 10x15, 15x12x2
Side-Plank Hip Raise: BWx15x3
Single-Leg "Wall Push": BWx20x3 (hands against a wall, lift one knee in the air and flex and extend the knee & ankle of the other leg)
Single-Leg Hip Raise: BWx20x3

Stationary Bike: 3' - level 3

Notes: While cooling down on the bike my left patella started feeling weird. Right after I got up there was some pain in the area between the patella and the femur (not excruciating pain, but definitely annoying). I ditched the stretching and SMR parts and went straight home to ice the fucker. This is a protocol my new physiotherapist gave me. I am still not convinced this is really what I need, but I will give it a chance, at least once a week for a month. :icon_conf

NOTICE: FROM NOW ON ALL WEIGHTS WILL BE IN KGs UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED!
(making the conversion for each and every lift is not always accurate and just isn't worth the hassle!)

@ SWIMMING POOL - KNEES REHAB
1 hour
200m freestyle
600m only legs (switch between freestyle & backstroke kicks every 100m)
+ many exercises by the edge of the pool between each 100m

@ GYM - SHOULDER REHAB & CORE
Warm Up: Dynamic Stretches & Mobility Exercises - 15'

Cuban Press: 11x4 & 16x4, 21x8x3
L-Lateral Raise: 7x12
Lying DB Abduction: 5x12x2, 5x10x2 - moderately painful (less than last time)
Cable External Rotation: 10x12, 15x8x2, 10x12

Slow Up / Slow Down: BWx12x2
Hanging Straight-Leg Raises: BWx15x2
Hangin Knee Raises: BWx20
45∘Hyper: BWx16x3

Face Pulls: 20x5 & 30x5, 40x12x3
Overhead BB Shrugs: 11x8 & 16x8 & 21x8, 32x15, 40x15, 50x15x2
Reverse Shrugs: BWx25x2 - slightly painful (less than last time)

@ HOME
SMR: 35' (full body)
Stretching: 35' shoulders, 15' hip flexors

PHYSIOTHERAPY
Warm Up
Stationary Bike: 5 mins @ low intensity (up to level 10 on particular bike)
Cable Circuit (hip abductions, hip extentions, straight leg raises): 5 plates x 12 x 4
Main Exercises
Isokinetic Leg Curls: 10 reps x 4 sets (both concentric and eccentric action)
Isokinetic Lying Leg extensions: 10 reps x 4 sets (only concentric action)
Finish
Various balance exercises
Electrodes for a machine saying "Zell-Regulations_Therapie"

Notes:
A. No gym today, gonna let the legs rest and try to see how they feel tomorrow for light squats.
B. I decided to stop these physiotherapy sessions. Everybody says the director of this place is the best, that he's worked for the German Olympic team, yadayada... I feel l am on a generic schedule without being properly assessed for progress in order to adjust/fine-tune the program. When I confronted him on that his answer was: your condition is something that has been developing for many years before you had any actual symptoms and any progress will be very slow, so there is no need to assess it so soon ("so soon" being 20 something days after I started working with him). He could be right, but I prefer to follow my instinct on this as I feel the only thing I am getting anything out of is the isokinetic machine but this alone is not worth the hassle.

Warm Up
Stationary Bike: 7 mins @ low intensity (levels 3-8)
Dynamic Stretches/Calisthenics/Mobility Exercises: 13 mins

Squat
BW x 20
20 x 20
30 x 20 x 2
40 x 20
30 x 20 - started feeling pain on left patella around 14th rep
BW x 20

Push Ups
BW x 10 x 2 - warmup for bench press

Bench Press
20 x 20
40 x 10
60 x 10
75 x 10 x 4 - relatively small amount of pain on right shoulder
50 x 20
30 x 20

BB Rows - all reps starting from free-hang on all sets (except second to last)
20 x 20
40 x 10
60 x 10 x 4
50 x 12 - reps starting from the ground
30 x 20

SMR
35 mins (full body)

Stretching
45 mins (full body)

Gym Story: One of the personal trainers that are working at the gym opened a discussion just as I was setting up on the squat rack. She is a bodybuilder, and she looks like one. The discussion started like: "do you do any sports? I can see you have a very specific way you train". When I told her about the knee surgery and trying to rehab she insisted I work squats on the shirley instead because "squats with free-weights are bad for the knees". That is cool, I am sure she was meaning well. Problem was she kept coming over to where I train to talk to me, even mid-set. I mean, ok I was squatting with minimal weights, but I'm wearing headphones the whole time, I'm focusing, and you're coming over starting talking about something I cannot even make out. I mean, it was like "I can see you are training differently" (as in "you seem to be here to train and not just for social contact") "and I am going to change that!"

35 mins
400m only legs (switch between freestyle & backstroke kicks every 50m)
leg exercises on edge of pool (between each 100m)

@ GYM - CORE
Swiss Ball Sit-Ups: BWx20x2
Overhead DB Sit-Ups: 5x10x2
Glute Bridges: BWx20, 32x15, 40x15x2
Floor Wipers: BWx10, 3x8
Lateral Bridges: BWx15x3
45∘Hyper: BWx15, 10x15x2 (hands & DB held at chest)
Russian Twist: 7x15, 10x15
Plank: BWx1'x2

@ HOME
SMR: 30 mins (whole body)

Notes:
Will be targeting abs and glutes to help with posterior pelvic tilt, as part of the shoulder rehab.

SHOULDER REHAB

Warm Up: 12 mins - Dynamic Stretches & Mobility Exercises

BB Cuban Press: 11/16x4, 21x8x3
L-Lateral Raise: 7.5x12
Lying DB Abduction: 3x7, 5x12x3, 5x10 - some pain on left shoulder but less than last time
Cable External Rotation: 10x12, 15x8x3
Reverse Shrugs: BWx20, BW+5x20 - a little bit of pain on left shoulder during second set
Overhead BB Shrugs: 11/16/21/26x5, 40x15, 55x12x2
Face Pulls: 20/30x6, 40x10x3

Stretching: 30 mins (upper body)

Notes: For the last 4 days I've been having a constant numbness on the vastus lateralis/IT band area of both legs. I am thinking it may have to do with aggressive SMR on a daily basis (I made a roller from a PVC pipe so I couldn't ease in it a soft foam roller at the beginning. It's been 3 weeks I've been rolling and it still hurst like a sob!). I decided to take it easier on the SMR for the next few days.

On another note, there is still constant pain on the left shoulder, yesterday was pretty bad. I know I ought to stop all pressing for a week or two until the inflammation goes away (may take some NSAID during that time). Then ease into press gradually constantly staying on pain-free weights. I'm taking the stupid road because I am not willing to stop pressing at a moment when I cannot Squat nor DL in the meantime. On the bright side, I do feel the shoulder is getting stronger and although the pain is there 24/7, it does feel like it's slowly getting less (that or I'm getting used to it!).

CORE
Warm Up:
Static Bike - 7 mins (levels 3-7)
Dynamic Stretching/Mobility Work - 9 mins

Swiss Ball Sit-Ups: BWx20, 5/7x12
Overhead DB Sit-Ups: 5x10x2 (on floor with 7.5kg DB between feet)
Glute Bridges: BWx20, 20/40x15, 50x15x2
Floor Wipers: 3x10x2
Lateral Bridges: BWx15, 5x15 (left shoulder started hurting)
45∘Hyper: BWx15, 12.5x15x2 (DB held at chest)
Russian Twist: 10x12, 7x12 (10kg was too hard and couldn't do proper ROM)

Stretching: 1 hour - mostly lower body

Notes: Started doing wall slides while at home. I'm going for a total of 3 sets of 10 reps, done throughout the day. These are pretty hard for me actually, especially raising the humerus back to horizontal position.

Warm Up
Stationary Bike: 7 mins (levels 3-7)
Dynamic Stretches/Mobility: 13 mins

Squat
BW x 10
20 x 10
30 x 15
40 x 20 x 4
20 x 20

SOHP
20 x 10
30 x 8
40 x 5
52.5 x 7
52.5 x 6 - shoulder hurt on last rep (which was a hard one) and continued hurting on following sets
50 x 7 x 2
40 x 8
30 x 8

DL
20 x 10 (RDL)
30 x 10 (RDL)
40 x 10 x 3
30 x 10 (RDL)

SMR: 50 mins
Static Stretching: 50 mins

Notes:
1. The numbness on the skin of the outer side of my thighs is due to a condition called "Melargia Praesthetica". This is caused by injury of the "lateral cutaneous nerve of the thigh". This nerve just so happens to pass pass right next to the upper point of the hipbone and obviously gets compressed during the extensive stretching I've been doing on the hip flexors. So far there is no pain, just numbness, will continue extensive stretching but with less intensity.
2. Made a new foam roller with extra padding (the previous one had minimal padding) and it felt a lot better. Resuming daily SMR as of today.

50 mins
600m only legs (switch between freestyle & backstroke kicks every 50m)
leg exercises on edge of pool (between each 100m)

@ HOME
SMR: 1 hour (full body)
Stretching: 1:15 (full body)

Notes:
1. Right wrist hurts significantly. It doesn't feel like something major, but like something that could get worse if I push it too soon. Never had wrist problems until 3 months ago when I twisted it under burden. It's been bugging me on OHP since, but never hurt like this. Didn't feel anything during yesterday's workout but the pain appeared later that evening.
2. Right shoulder doesn't hurt more than usual despite hurting during yesterday's OHP.
3. Was planning to do the core routine as well today, but felt my energy levels low. I guess if I'd gone to the gym my energy would eventually pick up during the workout, but since it's been some 10+ days since a complete day off, I decided to listen to what the body has to say this time and call this an "active rest day".

CORE
Warm Up:
Static Bike - 7 mins (levels 3-7)
Dynamic Stretching/Mobility Work/Calisthenics - 15 mins
DLs: 20x10, 40x10x2 - mainly because I wanted to work on form
Good Mornings: 20x20, 30x20

Single-Leg Leg Curls: 20x12, 25x10x3
Swiss Ball Sit-Ups: BWx20, 7x12x2
Overhead DB Sit-Ups: 5x10x2 (on floor with 7kg DB between feet)
Glute Bridges: BW/20x10, 40x15, 60x15x2
Floor Wipers: 3x10, 5x8
45∘Hyper: BWx15, 15x15, 15x13 (DB held at chest)
Russian Twist: 7x12x2

SMR: 1:15 - full body
Stretching: 1 hour - full body

Notes: SMR still hurts like a sob.

Back