Recently ballooned up

drbolony

-Cautious Alex's Kickboxing Coach-
@Gold
Reaction score
Hey S&C I recently got in a rut and I let it all go,now I'm looking to get back in shape. Diet is already in order, now I'm just looking for a routine, I am a novice. I'm former military so most of my workout experience is crossfit like workouts.

I was never a fan of the systematic pt drills, but I understood the point, to develop muscle and conditioning, and that's my goal too, except without all the bull.

I've followed 5x5 twice for 6 months, and really liked the program, so I'm deciding to stick with it, I mostly needed help incorporating some conditioning work and stretches to this (trying to stay injury free).

Sorry for the overall lazy post I'm in my 10 minute break on my cell, just thought I'd get your guys' helpful insight, thanks.

For mobility and flexibility work try defranco's agile 8.

Conditioning wise, what sort of equipment do you have access to?

5 x 5 is an excellent program for novices. So is FlashMonsta's recommended program.

Here are some other great novice programs:

Candito's Linear Program
Greyskull LP
Chaos and Pain's Destroy The Opposition

At some point in your training career, you will hit a plateau, and you will need to switch to an intermediate program such as

Madcow's 5 x 5
Texas Method
Chaos and Pain DTO for intermediates

And some other stuff I can't think of at the top of my head.

PowerliftingToWin's website has a great series of reviews of powerlifting programs for all levels of training.

For conditioning, check out Ross Enamait's stuff.

Last edited:
5 x 5 is an excellent program for novice. So is FlashMonsta's recommended program.

Here are some other great novice programs:

Candito's Linear Program
Greyskull LP
Chaos and Pain's Destroy The Opposition

At some point in your training career, you will hit a plateau, and you will need to switch to an intermediate program such as

Madcow's 5 x 5
Texas Method
Chaos and Pain DTO for intermediates

And some other stuff I can't think of at the top of my head.

PowerliftingToWin's website has a great series of reviews of powerlifting programs for all levels of training.

Have you ever tried Chaos and Pains stuff? i bought his "destroy the opposition" and thought it was pretty interesting.

Have you ever tried Chaos and Pains stuff? i bought his "destroy the opposition" and thought it was pretty interesting.

Yes, I'm doing his Advance Deadlift routine right now. It's all in my training log.

What are your goals regarding conditioning?

First of I just want to say sorry i wasn't ale to get back to you guys sooner. I tried to on my cell again, but that was being buggy, and I just now had time to log on with my laptop. Thanks for all the insight it was great!

For mobility and flexibility work try defranco's agile 8.

Conditioning wise, what sort of equipment do you have access to?

I checked out Defranco's Agile 8 . I'm going to need a foam roller, should I be looking or anything special besides a high density roller? Because I saw some by CAP at my local Walmart.

Both added to my bookmarks, I'll be reading some articles. Are there any I should check out specifically on Ross' site?

What are your goals regarding conditioning?

I want to be able to apply my conditioning to MMA training, I want to do some boxing, BJJ, and Wrestling after 40 lbs of weight loss. I don't want to be winded after a warm up, or beat after class. I'd also like to be able to run at least 4 miles.

DeFranco updated his Agile 8 to Limber 11. I started with Limber 11 like 6 months ago, with time it's a good idea to change/mix some new exercises or roll different areas, maybe working on improving something specific for a while (Steve Maxwell Encyclopedia of Joint Mobility it's a good resource). I do it with a PVC pipe wrapped up with an old bicicle inner tube and a tennis ball.

Both added to my bookmarks, I'll be reading some articles. Are there any I should check out specifically on Ross' site?

I want to be able to apply my conditioning to MMA training, I want to do some boxing, BJJ, and Wrestling after 40 lbs of weight loss. I don't want to be winded after a warm up, or beat after class. I'd also like to be able to run at least 4 miles.

I'd recommend his Infinity Intensity and Full Throttle Conditioning books. Ross is a great guy and knows his stuff. He pulled 500 lbs. despite not training regularly with barbells. He'll also include a hand-written thank you note with your book purchase. Classy guy.

Lift weights, do your conditioning, and eat less than your TDEE levels and you'll be losing that 40 lbs before you know it.

Last edited:
I'd start by reading the conditioning FAQ, and following the advice regarding developing an aerobic base. The more intense, more complex, anaerobic conditioning should come later. This will lead to more long term success, and better results with the anaerobic conditioning.

Back