Recent fights/results/news from China | Page 186

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by JustinvR, Feb 2, 2015.

1. AbeRudder Green Belt

AbeRudder
    I don't see the problem with using spinning attacks. The spinning back kick to the body is a very effective and practical kick imo, aside from the amount of energy it expends perhaps.

2. jtwarwagon4life Green Belt

jtwarwagon4life
    I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the farang that they use for Top King and Thai Fight cards are going to be Thailand based. The occasional local when they go abroad.

3. Snubnoze707 High Level

Snubnoze707
    @AbeRudder I think you're missing the nuances in our posts ;)

4. Julius_Caesar Brown Belt

Julius_Caesar
    Yodwichas prime and different animal. That kick could of landed on most fighters in the position Singdam was in. It was just a really good timed shot. Doesn't overall make him a better fighter.

5. Cocakillbana Black Belt

Cocakillbana
    Taste

I don't care for spinning and jumping attacks

6. jtwarwagon4life Green Belt

jtwarwagon4life
    I don't see it as that practical. Its devastating if it lands because it's this really big motion which creates all this speed and power. But, I think, it's too big of a motion, requires too much time and space and you have to turn your back. The amount of opportunities to use a spinning kick are so much less than other kicks and it's much riskier. There are other kicks which are seen as exotic or unorthodox which have much greater application than a spinning kick.

7. AbeRudder Green Belt

AbeRudder
    I'm referring more to the spinning back kick as opposed to the wheel kick in this instance. It's a lot more situational than a roundhouse but if the opponent is stationary or backing up a bit you can catch them on the end of the range of it. From my own sparring experience they can be awkward to block or catch if you get caught at the end of them. Then again i'm a hobbyist so it's probably not that relevant. But there are quite a few instances of it working in pro fights like Tenshin/Wanchalong, Masato/Yilmaz, Builad/Manowan for instance. Against someone walking you down like Yodwicha it's negated pretty much entirely though.

8. AbeRudder Green Belt

AbeRudder
    Am I committing muay thai sin by advocating the use of spinning shit?

9. DastardlyMass Brown Belt

DastardlyMass
    truthfully I've been surprised we do not see them used more. way more often than not the opponent does not make them pay by capitalizing on the kickers back being turned or when they over rotate out of position if they miss. The way most people react to it lets the kicker basically take a free ko haymaker shot and not have to worry about being countered. If the opponent is just going to sit back the only downside is the energy wasted attempting the strike

10. jtwarwagon4life Green Belt

jtwarwagon4life
    Spinning back elbows get used all the time. But there's a much more compact strike, that doesn't require as much space or time and works well a counter attack and can be chained together easily with other strikes often in unexpected ways.

11. Kanka Brown Belt

Kanka
    It wasn't particularly well timed. Singdam made a mistake in trying to block the kick by lowering his hands and paid for it. Good aim though

12. tru3f4n Brown Belt

tru3f4n

13. Snubnoze707 High Level

Snubnoze707
    Is their not a range for every strike, provided their is space to throw it?

I certainly am not for advocating excessive spinning shit but their are moments of separation in a fight where something can be thrown out there.

14. jtwarwagon4life Green Belt

jtwarwagon4life
    Yes, it's just that those opportunities present themselves far less for some strikes than others. I don't see the point in spending all this time in learning to use a particular weapon, if there is the chance that you may be forced to holster it for the whole fight.

15. Snubnoze707 High Level

Snubnoze707
    I certainly wouldn't advocate putting it priority over more useful techniques, but due to its limited window I think that makes it more effective due to its sporadic nature.

That said, in my 10 years of training I've never put a ton of effort into mastering these kinds of kicks, but I've sparred with plenty of guys from TKD backgrounds and they can sometimes catch you off gaurd. They can also be shut down pretty easy when you see them coming, it's when you don't see them coming that's when you end up like Wanchalong or Singdam who aren't used to those style of kicks.

16. oyvindt Purple Belt

oyvindt
  17. Kanka Brown Belt

Kanka
    You have fighters that only run and train a few days before fights... there is plenty of time to learn those techniques. The kick that knocked Singdam out isn't particularly hard to learn. I think the type of kick that knocked Wanchalong and Kem out is more difficult to learn

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  18. jtwarwagon4life Green Belt

jtwarwagon4life
    I don't see any real disagreement here. In fact, you just said that in order to defend those kinds of kicks, you don't need to know how to throw them, you just need to be accustomed to seeing them.

As for them being surprising I'm not sure that's really an endorsement of them. I would think you would want the techniques you used to have inherent integrity, not be gimmicks which rely on the ignorance of your opponents.

19. Snubnoze707 High Level

Snubnoze707
    Not everything has to be a disagreement here, just discussing.

However you did just say something I do disagree with, that the technique is a gimmick because it's easy to defend against when you see it coming. Most strikes are defendable when you see them coming.

20. UWanaPlayDaGame Purple Belt

UWanaPlayDaGame
    from my experience TKD spinning kicks are only useful when there's a huge gap in skills in favor of the TKD guy. I'm not saying that I (a white boy scrub who trains after work) will be able to do it - the style I use is far more effective but a legit TKD black belt would whoop me pretty good - but when someone starts that spinning motion you can always see it from a mile away and it's pretty easy to move out of the way. actually countering effectively takes much more experience but if you take a step forward you tangle with them from their back with lots of options to attack.

at the highest levels almost everytime that there was a KO via spinning shit it was due to the guy in the receiving end dropping his hands to block what they thought was a kick to the body. both Wanchalong and Singdam KOs were epic flukes IMO. Wanchalong could very well be on his way to lose anyway but that particular kick landing to the jaw was flukey.