Reasons to suggest that Jon Jones is better than Might Mouse

glasshouses999

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
1. He's undefeated (you know what I mean), granted MM lost fights at a weight class in which he was a lot smaller.
2. He is in a more talent stacked weight class (across all organisations and across the world LHW has more fighters). Contrary to what some MM fans on Sherdog have been saying there are actually more fighters at LHW than at FTW according to the tapology website with 574 to 462 across the globe https://www.tapology.com/rankings/groups/current. There are also more people in general around the LHW height (in the USA at least) https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/2010/compendia/statab/130ed/tables/11s0205.pdf.
3. He is the more incredible fighter to watch. MM is highly entertaining but Jones is unlike anything else I've ever seen. His fighting is violent and unpredictable and is expressed through a bodily mechanics that is simply freakish. This is probably the biggest point I can make. Some suggest Mayweather is not the GOAT because of the way he fights, and whilst MM is an entertaining and unbelievably skilled fighter, he does not excite nor express combat in the same way Jones does. When you're watching Jones you are watching art. This is a very legitimate reason to suggest why one fighter is better when their records are within close proximity of each other.
4.MM is a more complete fighter but not by much. One of the biggest criticisms of Jon is his boxing, but watch the Glover fight and you will notice that he certainly "can" box but usually opts not to. Only the boxing and the BJJ of Jones "could" be said to be below that of MM, whilst every other skill is either level with or beyond MM.
5. Bigger threat of knockouts at LHW than FTW, meaning less margin for error. This point is pretty obvious.

Yes there is the PEDS issue with Jon that looms over him but I think that is overstated for two reasons. Firstly, Jon is a skill based fighter with incredible physical attributes, he is not a strength based fighter or a knockout artist (He is also not "big" and when he was "bigger" against OSP he fought worse). Secondly, many of the guys who he destroyed were known steroid users and judging by their bodies were on way more stuff than Jon (if he was indeed on stuff). This is not something MM has really had to deal with. Roids or no Roids Jon is a different animal to everyone else.

Lastly, it's perfectly fine and reasonable to say MM is the GOAT but saying you're only a true MMA fan if you think MM is the GOAT is ridiculous. We're entitled to choose favourites especially when you take into account fighting style and other basic facts.

jon-jones-spinning-elbow.gif

Last edited:
Lol, it's not even a debate.

Jon Jones is the greatest MMA fighter of all time. It's not even close.

how many adult men are 5'1?
how many of them are professional athletes?
how many of them are professional fighters?
0.0000000000000000000000000000001%?

thats the talent pool dj is competing against lol, cant be goat sorry not sorry

1. He's undefeated (you know what I mean), granted MM lost fights at a weight class in which he was a lot smaller.
2. He is in a more talent stacked weight class (across all organisations and across the world LHW has more fighters). Contrary to what some MM fans on Sherdog have been saying there are actually more fighters at LHW than at FTW according to the tapology website with 574 to 462 across the globe https://www.tapology.com/rankings/groups/current. There are also more people in general around the LHW height (in the USA at least) https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/2010/compendia/statab/130ed/tables/11s0205.pdf.
3. He is the more incredible fighter to watch. MM is highly entertaining but Jones is unlike anything else I've ever seen. His fighting is violent and unpredictable and is expressed through a bodily mechanics that is simply freakish. This is probably the biggest point I can make. Some suggest Mayweather is not the GOAT because of the way he fights, and whilst MM is an entertaining and unbelievably skilled fighter, he does not excite nor express combat in the same way Jones does. When you're watching Jones you are watching art. This is a very legitimate reason to suggest why one fighter is better when their records are within close proximity of each other.
4.MM is a more complete fighter but not by much. One of the biggest criticisms of Jon is his boxing, but watch the Glover fight and you will notice that he certainly "can" box but usually opts not to. Only the boxing and the BJJ of Jones "could" be said to be below that of MM, whilst every other skill is either level with or beyond MM.
5. Bigger threat of knockouts at LHW than FTW, meaning less margin for error. This point is pretty obvious.

Yes there is the PEDS issue with Jon that looms over him but I think that is overstated for two reasons. Firstly, Jon is a skill based fighter with incredible physical attributes, he is not a strength based fighter or a knockout artist (He is also not "big" and when he was "bigger" against OSP he fought worse). Secondly, many of the guys who he destroyed were known steroid users and judging by their bodies were on way more stuff than Jon (if he was indeed on stuff). This is not something MM has really had to deal with. Roids or no Roids Jon is a different animal to everyone else.

Lastly, it's perfectly fine and reasonable to say MM is the GOAT but saying you're only a true MMA fan if you think MM is the GOAT is ridiculous. We're entitled to choose favourites especially when you take into account fighting style and other basic facts.

jon-jones-spinning-elbow.gif
Umm he's better because he would beat the shit out of him. Does Sherdog understand what the word 'better' means?

lolol its a bit more than that, they're sized between about 5 2" to 5 6" but that size is still a lot less represented less than 6" - 6 4" LHW size, check my link above.

Last edited:

There's only 7,000,000,000 people in the world, champ.

I still think that, if you put DJ and JJ into a same body frame, DJ destroys him.

But that's just me and I'm nobody.

I still think that, if you put DJ and JJ into a same body frame, DJ destroys him.

But that's just me and I'm nobody.

As long as you're not saying you're only an MMA fan if you consider MM the GOAT lol

Yes there is the PEDS issue with Jon that looms over him but I think that is overstated for two reasons. Firstly, Jon is a skill based fighter with incredible physical attributes, he is not a strength based fighter

Roids or no Roids Jon is a different animal to everyone else.

The level of ignorance and stupidity contained in comments like these is frankly staggering.

No wonder MMA is in the shambolic state it's in if this horrible ignorance is typical of its fanbase.

The level of ignorance and stupidity contained in comments like these is frankly staggering.

No wonder MMA is in the shambolic state it's in if this horrible ignorance is typical of its fanbase.

Coming from the guy who rants and raves about his unwavering adoration of Chris "still his boy" Weidman.

It would be easier to judge once they're all retired, but by then there will be new fighters making more GOAT careers stirring up the pot.

All I know for certain is Jones is the p4p king at eye pokes. Everything else is debatable.

The number of fighters in each weight class is irrelevant as the number of fighters during their rise and ascension is what matters.

I agree that Jones is 1 and MM is 2 though. Until 214 that is.

Jesus Chris, this is not fucking rocket science.

The reason is simply Jon Jones can reach his arm out and palm DJ's head and DJ can do nothing but strike at air in a comical fashion.

As a MM fan, I agree wity your points, except for 3 and 4:

"When you're watching Jones you are watching art."
MM technique is better, just watching his last fight you can see that, Jones has more diversity and the X factor when he lands some crazy punches, but IMO MM is technically more accurate

"One of the biggest criticisms of Jon is his boxing, but watch the Glover fight and you will notice that he certainly "can" box but usually opts not to"
He applied some elbow crank in the first round to neutralize Glover's boxing, many of the fans were upset back in the day because that looked "illegal" or inmoral

Jones has beat a raft of legends and has beaten one of the best HW/LHW's of all time and made it look relatively easy.

MM hasn't beaten any legends and fights in the weakest weight division.

Lol, it's not even a debate.

Jon Jones is the greatest MMA fighter of all time. It's not even close.
We're talking pound for pound greatest! Not the greatest fighter of all time. Don't you know the difference? Besides that Jon Jones is NOT the greatest fighter of all times. He wouldn't last 2 rounds with Junior, Stipe, Werdum and now Ngannou and others.

MM dominates his opponents far more than Jones. Jones only just ecked out wins against Cormier, Gus, Rashad and others. In most of MM fights there is no guessing who won. There is not even a question.

As a MM fan, I agree wity your points, except for 3 and 4:

"When you're watching Jones you are watching art."
MM technique is better, just watching his last fight you can see that, Jones has more diversity and the X factor when he lands some crazy punches, but IMO MM is technically more accurate

"One of the biggest criticisms of Jon is his boxing, but watch the Glover fight and you will notice that he certainly "can" box but usually opts not to"
He applied some elbow crank in the first round to neutralize Glover's boxing, many of the fans were upset back in the day because that looked "illegal" or inmoral

3. His technique is better but he is not as creative or phenomenal to watch, that was my point.
4. I didn't see any of this elbow crank although I've watched the fight, I'll check it out and watch that again. I would still be impressed with Jon's boxing in that fight regardless.

Back