Reasons for Cowboy's downfall

Cerrone is the only one with the right idea. Fight as much as you can and make money. Rinse and repeat.

1-Is taking too many fight too often.

If we look at his career, he's figthing very often, a lot of times only 2-3 months between fights,
which is absolutely not enough to recover fully after wars.

F.E. after being KTFO by Jorge he took 6 months and came back to put a great performance against Robbie.

But after such a war, he took less than 3 months to recover and go through camp, which is very little.
He should have taken 1-2 months completely off to heal. And then time to adjust and camp.

He needs to fight 3 times a yeat max and take recoery seriously.

2- Lack of boxing.

Yes he improved in that area, but still eats too many shots, FE against Jorge and Robbie,
which , in addition to taking fights too often leads to brain damage and being chinny,
which Till well exploited.

He needs to focus on boxing fundamentals and defence.

3- Weight class?

Cerrone is a small WW, but cutting down to 155 again, would make his weak liver and chin even weaker.

He could benefit from 165 LB weight class and stricter weight cutting policy, where Huge WW
would have to go up to 175 ir even 185.

P.S. Still a Cowboy fan.

Discuss

View attachment 291457

1. He doesn't care if he loses. He just wants to scrap and make change.

I, personally, think he's up there with BJ Penn as far as archetypal bully-fighters go. If you don't know what I mean by that, it's guys who fight like the cliche bully in school; they're the most terrifying person in the world when they have their way, but the second they actually start to face some adversity they crumble. How many fights in BJ's career has he actually rebounded from serious adversity to do well and even win? Siver was probably the closest example just because he made a comeback in the final round.
Compare that to fights where BJ started to struggle and his chances of victory just got lower and lower with each passing minute (like against St-Pierre, Hughes, Edgar, Diaz, Macdonald, Rodriguez, even the Uno rematch once Caol started to outstrike BJ with his kicks, stuffed BJ's shots and started to get his own takedowns... that's why the fight was a draw.)
Cerrone's like that. Looking at his record, as far as adversity-filled matches go (not just fights that had a competitive round, like against Miller) that he either won or didn't get crushed in, there's Guillard (who's kind of another bully fighter, by the way), the first Henderson fight kind of, maybe the first dos Anjos fight (like, technically, since he won the third round), and Alvarez, who was the best example and where Cerrone uncharacteristically didn't have a bully mentality after Eddie rocked him pretty bad in the first round.
Then compare that to the first Varner fight (before Varner became a drug addict), Nate, Pettis, dos Anjos II, Masvidal, Till... Till was probably the most significant example. It started out competitive, but then Till's basic southpaw-orthodox strategy of focusing on his right-hook and left-straight started working and he landed a lot of them, and Cerrone started to wilt really fast, and you could see the progression within one round.
There's not too much you can do about that. If it's somebody's style, you can't do much to change it (you'd end up making them worse in the end for doing it), and struggling with adversity is the big downside to the bully fighter (but, like BJ Penn at his peak, it has its upsides.)

I also don't buy the whole "he eats too many shots cuz' he doesn't have good boxing" bullshit. As though Muay Thai fighters know nothing about striking defense and eat punches constantly from anyone with good boxing. It's like just shitty striking advise that kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about, even though when you actually break down every aspect of someone's style (which you have to do to actually give someone effective striking advise-- that's why good striking coaches hit the pads with their fighters for a long time before they even try to change anything about their style) it's shitty advise.
It's like when Arlovski made his 2014-15 comeback and he focused on landing his right hand in his fights, and people were like, "Arlovski really needs to work on his boxing. He's just begging to get hit when he throws his right hand; he really needs to jab more." As though he didn't do exactly that against Fedor, Rogers, Bigfoot, and Kharitonov over the course of two years...

There might be something in what you're saying but if you watch enough of his fights you will know that he is not very good and incredibly vulnerable when standing in boxing range with his opponents, if that wasn't a thing and it was all to do with him being a bully then why doesn't he seem to ever have many problems on the ground and why doesn't he get fucked up on the outside? Just because you train Muay Thai doesn't mean you're automatically have good boxing.

Last edited:
Father time and weathered chin catches up to all fighters.

It's normal and Cerrone should probably hang em up soon.

1. He doesn't care if he loses. He just wants to scrap and make change.

Which is kinda stupid, cause he could make much more as a champ.
But that requires some wits, not only guts.
Fighting mindlessly like that he has 2 years max in the UFC left, IMO.

Yes, but still though would make sense to see with your own eyes what the other guy can do. Be mentally prepared.
Also I just remembered that Cerrone doesnt spar. Maybe he should get back to some reasonable sparring.

Edit
For example invite Nate fookin Diaz . Not like hes very busy nowadays anyway. I know that they had beef, but aparrently no more.
yea but nate thinks hes a million dollar man right now, I bet the cost to bring him in for a camp would be outrageous.

Hopefully cowboy figures something out, love watching the guy fight when he shows up.

is this really a downfall or is he just being the same gamekeeper he always was and just happened to face better opponents 3 times in a row? Was it a downfall when bendo made it apparent that cowboy will never ever get his hands on the WEC title? Was it a downfall when nate diaz made him look like garbage? Was it a downfall when a blown up featherweight who himself was about to go on a slump destroyed him in less than half a round? Was it a downfall when RDA didn't break a sweat destroying him in barely over a minute? Or maybe he was always a gatekeeper who just happened to get favorable match ups between all his losses up till now, when they finally gave him 3 high level opponents in a row?

Maybe he needs to join the ranks of UFCers who thought they can just waltz on over to bellator and nonchalantly win a title there... and then lose there.

By downfall i mean three losses in a row, with two of them being finishes.
Nothing like that happenned to him before.

?

Cerrone has 2 losses against RDA (1 via finish), 1 loss against Pettis (finish) and 1 extremely controversial "win" against Bendo (as well as 2 old losses).

And neither have great hands.
I was listing examples that whooped Cowboy that weren’t necessarily strong boxers as the poster I responded to said is his weakness.

Reasons you mentioned, +stylistic match ups. When you look at his LW+WW wins, he hasn't really fought many quality range boxers

What are the common strengths of Nate, Masvidal, and Till..
This...Cowboy's a striker but relies on kicks more than a good hand work. Nate, Jorge & Till knows how to counter a leg kick. and their 1-2 jab straights all gave Cowboy trouble.

He is top notch on the offense but his lack of head movement and his tendacy to move back in a straight line means he gets clipped way too often.

Getting old, taken a lot of damage, is casual about the match ups, doesn't handle pressure well.

I think he's still a too level fighter in a lot of ways, and a win over him is still a big win, but he's been figured out now. Put the pressure on and box him up and he will fold. Saying that he had only lost to top guys until now, and I think we will see Till up there at the top soon enough too.

Cuck Thomas

tumblr_lxzdtqYH121qcuy99o6_250.gif

All those miles are gonna catch up at some point. He looked old to me. Lots of discussion about his lack of boxing skills, especially his lack of head movement, but Cowboy is also notoriously stubborn when it comes to be coached...kind of does it his way. Plus, he's also a known slow starter...Till was smart to come at him hard from the get go...I think lack of size at WW caught up to Cowboy in this fight as well, Till is fucking huge, young, etc.
I wonder if Till would have gotten him out of there so fast if he hadn't broken Cowboy's nose with that shot.

Taking nothing away from Till, but the round was gonna end and even though Cowboy lost, he might have warmed up in the 2nd.

1-Is taking too many fight too often.

If we look at his career, he's figthing very often, a lot of times only 2-3 months between fights,
which is absolutely not enough to recover fully after wars.

F.E. after being KTFO by Jorge he took 6 months and came back to put a great performance against Robbie.

But after such a war, he took less than 3 months to recover and go through camp, which is very little.
He should have taken 1-2 months completely off to heal. And then time to adjust and camp.

He needs to fight 3 times a yeat max and take recoery seriously.

2- Lack of boxing.

Yes he improved in that area, but still eats too many shots, FE against Jorge and Robbie,
which , in addition to taking fights too often leads to brain damage and being chinny,
which Till well exploited.

He needs to focus on boxing fundamentals and defence.

3- Weight class?

Cerrone is a small WW, but cutting down to 155 again, would make his weak liver and chin even weaker.

He could benefit from 165 LB weight class and stricter weight cutting policy, where Huge WW
would have to go up to 175 ir even 185.

P.S. Still a Cowboy fan.

P.P.S By downfall i mean three losses in a row, with two of them being finishes.
Nothing like that happenned to him before.

Discuss

View attachment 291457

Cerrone does great, when he dictates the pace...but when a fighter goes after him...like masvidal or till. he gets wrecked....his boxing was never that strong...his kicking was always good...but once a guy gets past his kicks, and gets inside, he's not nearly as effective...

He's physically weak and he has taken so much damage that his chin has become tin.

Strong fighters overpower him and blast through him.

Back