Reason why an old Hendo did so well (but not BJ)

Nobody can match the mental game/ fortitude of a high-level wrestler. I've heard it stated many times, and I think there's merit to it when it comes to Hendo / BJ comparison.

Truth. HEndo relies on tenacity and grit, embracing the grind. BJ relied on his natural talent coupled with the fact that he was able to start off training bjj full time with unlimited privates with one of the Gracie's I forgot who. Either way, tenacity and grit lasts longer than natural talent.

It's kind of like the people you know in high school that had freaky genetics and ate what they want and never got fat, they relied on it and in their mid 20s already got a Beer gut, and the people who were heavier in high school and lost the weight usually stay fit into their 40s

Hendo went 3-7 in his last ten. One of those wins was over Shogun. He didn't do much better coming on the end but is/was much older during his decline when compared to B.J. The losses just racked up a little differently.

Lighter weight class require more speed then higher weight classes and you slow down with age .. also power is the last thing to go in a fighter that would be my guess as to why Hendo was able to get a win here in there inbetween his losses later in his career.

Hendo still has a body most twenty year olds would be jealous of.

BJ was fat most of his career.

Good old fashion Blunt Force Trauma.

So, what I'm getting from this thread is BJ should move up to HW permanently.

I wouldnt bet on yair against many top ten guys, he got style but far to be a future champ. Aldo, edgar, holloway swanson or even lamas would all beat him easily at the moment

Thanks guy.

Hendo is fearless and is not afraid to attack

Penn always folds once he gets hit (at least after the Edgar fight he does)

BJ is one of those guys that skated by on talent alone. Hendo actually put in work.

speed at higher weight classes is not as important as in lower ones

People say TRT don't understand fighting... a lot of what kept Henderson there, was that threat of his power, it kept people off him, they knew if they pressure, he would swing and it often just took one.

Penn had power, enough to badly rock a prime Diego Sanchez, but was never that one shot killer.

Was it Archie Moore who said that? one of the old boxers Jack Slack would talk about said to have a long career a fighter needed big power, as fights would end quicker (= less damage) and people would fear it (throwing less punches)

It sucked seeing BJ take a beating like that. He is one of my all time favorite fighters. I kind of hope he retires again. Don't want to see him going out like this after such a great career. The sport may have passed him by, like Kenny Florian said.

Its TRT. if it hasnt been mentioned hendo sucks without it as do all old guys thats just how nature works.

It's the speed. Losing 3 percent is a world at the smaller classes. I thought he would have done better with a 55er

The lower the weight where fighters rely more on speed and reflexes the harder it is to age.

NOt to mention his fountain of youth...I get Penn has a cute wife as well but Hendo's seems require a lot of sex maintenance....
hendo-wedding2.jpg
Loll could Hendo get anymore tan? I thought he was an old black man..... his wife is sexy, she kinda reminds of Carly bobby from talladega nights for some reason

Steroids. PED Henderson belonged to Team PEDs which has roids like Chael and Couture. Notorious steroid abusers.

Back