Reason 1,325 why you should learn to wrestle as a BJJ guy...

Huh? Yes there is, slamming is clearly listed as an illegal technique iin the link YOU posted.

Slamming is illegal ibjjf rules if you slam them from closed guard or a sub attempt.

The only rule for takedown is not slamming on the head from supplex.

Also head on the outside for while belt for a single leg takedown.

But it has been a while since I have done am ibjjf ref seminar.

So is there a written rule I missed or people are just reffering so something else.

You can throw your opponent into orbit for ipppon ... it's not a dq if it's part of a takedown.
Slamming is illegal ibjjf rules if you slam them from closed guard or a sub attempt.

So is there a written rule I missed or people are just reffering so something else.

Nah it's always been that way. Same rules in judo too. You can launch the guy into the rafters and piledrive him into the mat with a throw, but you can't slam from closed guard, a pickup, or a sub.

Cool video. I got a good chuckle at the other guy trying to lock a guillotine with his hands without even thinking about his hips. He learned a good lesson that day and your guy got a good highlight.

Because you run into guys like this occasionally. This guy walked into my gym 7 weeks ago and is at about 11 gi classes so far, but obviously he's done a bit of grappling. He wanted to compete at the Dallas Open (IBJJF) so I had to put him in blue belt...because whitebelt he may have killed someone.

I grew up in Central Texas and I don't ever remember hearing of any school having a wrestling team. Is that still the case or has it become more popular as MMA and BJJ have become more popular (I've been out of high school for over 15 years)?

I grew up in Central Texas and I don't ever remember hearing of any school having a wrestling team. Is that still the case or has it become more popular as MMA and BJJ have become more popular (I've been out of high school for over 15 years)?
What exactly is central Texas? The Panhandle has quite a few teams spread out, probably because of being so close to Oklahoma. Kenny Monday had a youth team in the Dallas area, Brandon Slay had a youth team in Amarillo. There's plenty of teams in the Dallas area really. Can't say I saw too many guys from the Houston area. They had the Heart of Texas Nationals in Austin so they must have some wrestling, El Paso had Sun City Nationals. There's no college scene except for Wayland Baptist out of Plainview.

Slamming is not defined in the written part of the rules only in the oral tradition part.

What exactly is central Texas? The Panhandle has quite a few teams spread out, probably because of being so close to Oklahoma. Kenny Monday had a youth team in the Dallas area, Brandon Slay had a youth team in Amarillo. There's plenty of teams in the Dallas area really. Can't say I saw too many guys from the Houston area. They had the Heart of Texas Nationals in Austin so they must have some wrestling, El Paso had Sun City Nationals. There's no college scene except for Wayland Baptist out of Plainview.
A surprisingly large chunk of Austin schools don’t have wrestling. Some of my nephews and one of my nieces live in Round Rock and I spent a summer there training Bjj and multiple people talked about it. And it was the big well funded schools that didn’t have it not just the tiny ones

My 15 year reunion is next year and my HS team had a wrestling team. Yes Texas Schools have teams with even females wrestling. One of my students is a wrestling coach for HS and this kid was state runner up his Jr. Sr. years.

There are NCAA champion wrestlers out of Texas as well as world medalists. Wrestling is the real deal in Texas. Its not Cali or Pennsylvania, but they got legit guys.

They should ban all takedowns.
Really??? So in a self defense situation, you're gonna butt scoot or tell the attacker to start from his knees? lmao.. worst idea since the idea of the wrestling ban from the olympics.

Really??? So in a self defense situation, you're gonna butt scoot or tell the attacker to start from his knees? lmao.. worst idea since the idea of the wrestling ban from the olympics.

YHBT.

I know lapel guard, worm guard, and leg lock, why do i need takedowns

There's a fine line behind driving through a double and a slam, depends if the opponent is returned to the mat with additional force beyond the natural progression of the technique. I'd say thats on the legal side, but I can bet you many would call that a DQ.

Been dqd for it myself.

I've seen people getting DQ'd for similar takedowns here in Scotland . Nonetheless it was a sick double, congrats to your guy. It's true that many (don't want to say most) bjj guys don't train enough takedowns, however the self defense argument is a bit stupid imho and it seems like it's coming mostly from the people who lack the experience in those kind of situations. Granted that wrestling skills can help tremendously but there's so many different factors to it that (like place, time , weapons, other people etc) it's not really a deciding factor whether you can defend yourself or not...
Being a bouncer for many years I can't recall any situations where some high caliber wrestlers were taking people down with the power doubles but I've seen plenty of flash ko's from the punch to the face (some of them with some tragic/serious consequences )

I've seen people getting DQ'd for similar takedowns here in Scotland . Nonetheless it was a sick double, congrats to your guy. It's true that many (don't want to say most) bjj guys don't train enough takedowns, however the self defense argument is a bit stupid imho and it seems like it's coming mostly from the people who lack the experience in those kind of situations. Granted that wrestling skills can help tremendously but there's so many different factors to it that (like place, time , weapons, other people etc) it's not really a deciding factor whether you can defend yourself or not...
Being a bouncer for many years I can't recall any situations where some high caliber wrestlers were taking people down with the power doubles but I've seen plenty of flash ko's from the punch to the face (some of them with some tragic/serious consequences )
I think a big reason the self defense argument exists is that BJJ got famous from the early UFCs when small BJJ guys like Royce were beating roided out monsters in NHB combat. BJJ is respected as one of the legit fighting forms like boxing, MT and wrestling. But now, as BJJ is focusing more on sport BJJ, it seems more people are lumping it with TKD, karate, and other styles that are not considered legit.

Back