Reason 1,325 why you should learn to wrestle as a BJJ guy...

NateTx4112

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Because you run into guys like this occasionally. This guy walked into my gym 7 weeks ago and is at about 11 gi classes so far, but obviously he's done a bit of grappling. He wanted to compete at the Dallas Open (IBJJF) so I had to put him in blue belt...because whitebelt he may have killed someone.

Flirting with a DQ there

Flirting with a DQ there
Not sure I agree with you there, but I may be biased. guy on left did nothing to sprawl/obviously was NOT ready for a shot/hard double like that.

Not sure I agree with you there, but I may be biased. guy on left did nothing to sprawl/obviously was NOT ready for a shot/hard double like that.

I wouldn't call it but many refs would, it's getting there. Sweet double either way.

No IBJJF ref would ever DQ for that double leg. It was in no way, shape or form even close to a slam, and not at all uncommon at a tournament. Why do people on this board constantly make outlandish arguments just for the sake or saying something?

No IBJJF ref would ever DQ for that double leg. It was in no way, shape or form even close to a slam, and not at all uncommon at a tournament. Why do people on this board constantly make outlandish arguments just for the sake or saying something?

No outlandish argument, just that I've seen guys get DQ's for similar stuff. It's not correct, but it does happen.

Probably should add that in Asia where you'll seldom see power doubles like that in tournaments perhaps refs are quicker on the trigger for slamming, In any case it's all getting away from the point of the thread. Sorry for the derail TS.

Last edited:
There's a fine line behind driving through a double and a slam, depends if the opponent is returned to the mat with additional force beyond the natural progression of the technique. I'd say thats on the legal side, but I can bet you many would call that a DQ.
What you're talking about has some meaning in US Folkstyle, but there's no prohibition against any of those things in IBJJF rules.

What you're talking about has some meaning in US Folkstyle, but there's no prohibition against any of those things in IBJJF rules.
Huh? Yes there is, slamming is clearly listed as an illegal technique iin the link YOU posted.

Legit, don't see the purpose of the thread, your student is. Wrestler, and wrestle fucked a blue belt, what's new? Not trying to be a bitch but even if you put him in the purple or brown hell even some bb division tournaments hell the same to most people who are not expecting to go against a wrestler

I didn't know you were allowed to dump them on their head, even if it was off a double leg. Nice technique though, dude's a beast.

Legit, don't see the purpose of the thread, your student is. Wrestler, and wrestle fucked a blue belt, what's new? Not trying to be a bitch but even if you put him in the purple or brown hell even some bb division tournaments hell the same to most people who are not expecting to go against a wrestler
Good morning rage...Purpose of this thread flat out is just because it's a cool vid, i'm proud of my guy, and well yeah it's cool and you can even go as far to say self promotion if you'd like.

Yep he's a wrestler, a good one, and won 2 of his 3 matches this weekend (1 and 1 in the gi) by being a good wrestler. I could have sandbagged him and put him in whitebelt, but that wouldn't have been cool. I can't put him in purple belt, the rule is if you wrestled collegiately they go to blue belt. He did a year at Juco school...so I put him in the right division per rules.

Cool, he's a good wrestler. When's he going to learn JJ?

He didnt even attempted to sprawl.

Is that what passes for blue belt nowadays?

He didnt even attempted to sprawl.

Is that what passes for blue belt nowadays?

I don't think he was expecting to go with a wrestler, if your a blue belt and you have a juco wrestler Infront, you sit on your ass, there's not a single reason why to stand with him, 2 free points...

I don't think he was expecting to go with a wrestler, if your a blue belt and you have a juco wrestler Infront, you sit on your ass, there's not a single reason why to stand with him, 2 free points...

Its not like it was Jordan Burroughs blasting on him, i was expecting some sort of reaction to someone changing levels.

Even if its pull guard.

They should ban all takedowns.

Back