Really simple papercutter/north south escape

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score

Saw this for the first time this week, and hit it on a brown belt last night. Absurdly simple and effective. Thought I'd share.

As an added point, I have really been experimenting with armdrags from under side control recently. Any time your opponent has a far side underhook, you have the option to use it as an arm drag ghost escape into a d'arce. Similarly, if they have a papercutter underhook like that, you can armdrag to the back like that.

I know our InvisibleJiujitsu friend just posted his ghost escape video, and does not use the armdrag method, so I would like his thoughts! (In his video, he essentially just pins the arm to his body.)

Saw this for the first time this week, and hit it on a brown belt last night. Absurdly simple and effective. Thought I'd share.

Thanks. I’ve been getting caught in that god dammed paper cutter. A really strong blue belt caught me the other day. I was so frustrated. I’m thinking to myself. I’ve been training over 10 years and this fucking blue belt caught me in a paper cutter, I suck bad. So it’s been my mission to learn not to get in that position and learn all the escapes I can. I’ll add this one to my drilling repertoire.

It’s so frustrating and humbling to allow people to get you in shitty positions and try and figure out how to get out. You fail a lot but finally when you are able to escape at least once then you feel better. Once I am able to escape most of the time will I stop drilling and putting myself in this shit position.

Thanks. I’ve been getting caught in that god dammed paper cutter. A really strong blue belt caught me the other day. I was so frustrated. I’m thinking to myself. I’ve been training over 10 years and this fucking blue belt caught me in a paper cutter, I suck bad. So it’s been my mission to learn not to get in that position and learn all the escapes I can. I’ll add this one to my drilling repertoire.

It’s so frustrating and humbling to allow people to get you in shitty positions and try and figure out how to get out. You fail a lot but finally when you are able to escape at least once then you feel better. Once I am able to escape most of the time will I stop drilling and putting myself in this shit position.

I'm kind of running into this problem right now. A few years ago I decided focusing on my guard would be more efficient than fighting out of bad positions. I still believe this but the gap in proficiency has widened. My bfly guard might be a brown belt level but my side control escapes are at blue belt level.

I'm kind of running into this problem right now. A few years ago I decided focusing on my guard would be more efficient than fighting out of bad positions. I still believe this but the gap in proficiency has widened. My bfly guard might be a brown belt level but my side control escapes are at blue belt level.
What I think happens—guys hate working bottom side control. I know I hate working bottom side control. It’s a shit position to be in, it’s no fun being crushed down there and it’s a lot of work to get out. Then you get where super strong blue belts are crushing you in side control as a brown belt and you are pissed at yourself for barely working that position.

I'm lucky enough to have very strong training partners that love to stay in side and north south. With them it's almost impossible to just shrimp and reguard. The ghost escape, the one where you just roll outside, the stiff arm escape... They all work very well if you mix them up a little bit. I roll a lot with the same 10-15 guys and we kind of know how the other guy will react, being good at 3-4 different escapes is the key for me.

I had some trouble with people going north south and this one is right into my game, not a power move but an efficient move.

This seems to be a timing thing where the escape is made in the transition to north/south.

Am I correct?

What I think happens—guys hate working bottom side control. I know I hate working bottom side control. It’s a shit position to be in, it’s no fun being crushed down there and it’s a lot of work to get out. Then you get where super strong blue belts are crushing you in side control as a brown belt and you are pissed at yourself for barely working that position.

I'm feeling overall pretty good about dealing with side control at this point except that I want to get good at moving to deep half in transition. I have an escape in basically every direction except for going there by instinct. I usually just try to reset into closed guard, but I'm starting to like the sweeps and backtakes from there.

Last edited:
This seems to be a timing thing where the escape is made in the transition to north/south.

Am I correct?
The opposite. A lot of people from north south attack the papercutter choke. This technique works against someone who is going for the transition from north south to papercutter.

The opposite. A lot of people from north south attack the papercutter choke. This technique works against someone who is going for the transition from north south to papercutter.

Hah. I remembered this post and hit the papercutter from north/south last night.

First time I've ever got this particular submission.

Looks simpler than it is because the brown belt wasn't in position to maintain the hold.

I'm feeling overall pretty good about dealing with side control at this point except that I want to get good at moving to deep half in transition. I have an escape in basically every direction except for going there by instinct. I usually just try to reset into closed guard, but I'm starting to like the sweeps and backtakes from there.

if you like deep half i find that very easy to get to from bottom side control

To be fair this is just a hard position to get out of. Almost every person on the grappling central podcast hates bottom side control the most. I find most peoples side control defense to not be as good as their guard retention.

Back