realistically, how would a bjj blackbelt do against some guy w/a rambo knife in the streets?

Not sure if this was a "Rambo knife" or if it's kosher to post links to other sites, but here's Guy Mezger fighting some crazy guy with a knife.....

http://www.cagepotato.com/awesome-s...woman-from-knife-wielding-scumbag-last-month/
That was a big story here in dallas for a while (at least for guys who train). I had trained at guy's gym for a bit years ago. When a friend told me to join him. Guy mezger is all class. I also met ken and a few other dudes.

I'd like to say that if Guy got cut (even though he says he didn't see the knife). A normal guy who trains, is probably not gonna have the same luck he had.

Exactly....any grappling will get you shanked, and BJJ has to be one of the worst against a knife.

I've always thought a front kick to the face or a push kick, following up with an attack once they're off balance. I'd want to be very sure of a strength advantage to try and wrestle the knife out of their hands.

BJJ or SAMBO are possibly good styles against knife-weilding opponent, because you want to close the distance, control the enemy's movements and try to disarm him. But for BJJ practicioner to have good chances it has to be average Joe VS black belt. If the person with a knife knows how to use it, BJJ guy is dead very quick.

One of the "army combat" clubs in Moscow, where they teach SAMBO, BJJ, Muai Thai, MMA and knife fighting, made a test with plastic training knives and a lot of participants of different levels of proficiency. Unarmed master only won like 3 or 4 out of 10 against a novice with a knife, and lost 10 out of 10 to a guy of his level with a knife.

So the best martial art against the knife would be running.

Last edited:
I've always thought a front kick to the face or a push kick, following up with an attack once they're off balance. I'd want to be very sure of a strength advantage to try and wrestle the knife out of their hands.
You're probably gonna get cut no matter what you try, but that seems feasible. TKD spinning shit might actually work in this case, if the attacker isn't too aggressive like he was in that Mezger story.

You're probably gonna get cut no matter what you try, but that seems feasible. TKD spinning shit might actually work in this case, if the attacker isn't too aggressive like he was in that Mezger story.

Yeah, from what I understand about knife wounds is that you rarely notice them a great deal, they often don't hit anything vital and the muscles close up the wound to prevent bleeding out. So you have time to settle the matter and then seek medical attention.

It's nothing like it but playing football I've had my arms and shins torn up, blood dripping and I've never noticed until someone told me.

He could get stabbed or cut. Conversely he could strangle or break the bones of Rambo knife man. Is that answers precision precise enough?

Exactly....any grappling will get you shanked, and BJJ has to be one of the worst against a knife.

Not necessarily BJJ legit saved my ass from a knife attack.

Granted the punch got it going but the know how of grappling allowed me to take him down and get back mount. The punching part is the only time i actually got cut during the attack.

Not necessarily BJJ legit saved my ass from a knife attack.

Granted the punch got it going but the know how of grappling allowed me to take him down and get back mount. The punching part is the only time i actually got cut during the attack.
I stand corrected....grappling is supreme and punching can get you killed.....potential knife attack victims take notice....lol

I stand corrected....grappling is supreme and punching can get you killed.....potential knife attack victims take notice....lol
To do well in a fight you need to know both. No need to argue. However, many grappling techniques really won't work because you'd get cut/stabbed.

Odds are you wont be able to stop the knife wielder with a single strike so trading blows with someone with a knife isnt smart if you have no choice. Further it you look at a lot of knife attacks the victim and the attacker end up hockey fighting with each other which makes the use of grappling important.

No ones saying its supreme but saying bjj is the worse thing for a knife fight is silly.

I have wrestling and ju jitsu experience, my step brother has 4 pro bouts. I don't think either of us would do good against a average joe with a knife. We aren't the Diaz brother s who practice sword fighting in our moms house.

I have wrestling and ju jitsu experience, my step brother has 4 pro bouts. I don't think either of us would do good against a average joe with a knife. We aren't the Diaz brother s who practice sword fighting in our moms house.
it's never too late to start!

Back