realistic goals squatting

With 531 you will increase your training max 10lbs per month so your goal stated in the op is not realistic given where you are now.
Yeah I was told by a few to not worry about assistant lifts now since I'm working on mma as well are they really that beneficial?

With 531 you will increase your training max 10lbs per month so your goal stated in the op is not realistic given where you are now.

So, ten pounds a month for anyone, regardless of their size, body composition, sex, age, training history, etc. or just ten pounds a month based on what you know about the TS?

So, ten pounds a month for anyone, regardless of their size, body composition, sex, age, training history, etc. or just ten pounds a month based on what you know about the TS?
I said training max not true 1rm.

I said training max not true 1rm.

What difference would that make? Gains in strength are gains in strength. I'm just wondering how you arrive at a number like 10 pounds a month.

What difference would that make? Gains in strength are gains in strength. I'm just wondering how you arrive at a number like 10 pounds a month.
That's how the program is written.

That's how the program is written.

It's not a recipe.

Meaning, in a recipe you put in a specified amount and you get a predictable (hopefully) result. In a lifting program, there are more variables. I have Wendler's 5/3/1 book and I'm pretty sure there can be more gains had than 10 pounds a month. Or less, depending on several things.

It's not a recipe.

Meaning, in a recipe you put in a specified amount and you get a predictable (hopefully) result. In a lifting program, there are more variables. I have Wendler's 5/3/1 book and I'm pretty sure there can be more gains had than 10 pounds a month. Or less, depending on several things.

You're probably right. However I believe he wrote that after pushing his fat, powerlifting body through hell and back. From what I understand It's meant to be a slow steady progression. One you should be able to run for a long time.

You're probably right. However I believe he wrote that after pushing his fat, powerlifting body through hell and back. From what I understand It's meant to be a slow steady progression. One you should be able to run for a long time.

What I'm saying is that there is no program guaranteed to yield 10 pounds a month, period. It could be ten pounds, or more, or less, based on many variables and factors. There's no one who can reliably tell you that you will gain ten pounds a month on a certain program. The TS's question is incomplete in data, and the answers to it are off due to lack of that data.

No question @Cmart
And I would definitely not use 531 over a 6 month period to go from 315 to 405...

What I'm saying is that there is no program guaranteed to yield 10 pounds a month, period. It could be ten pounds, or more, or less, based on many variables and factors. There's no one who can reliably tell you that you will gain ten pounds a month on a certain program. The TS's question is incomplete in data, and the answers to it are off due to lack of that data.
I think you're misunderstanding the terms here. Wendler never says 5/3/1 will make you 10lbs stronger a month. 5/3/1 prescribes bumping up you working max, which is based upon 85% of your 1RM, 10 lbs a month for squat and DL and 5/month for presses. This doesn't prescribe how strong you will be, it just prescribes the amount to put on the bar for your workouts.

I think you're misunderstanding the terms here. Wendler never says 5/3/1 will make you 10lbs stronger a month. 5/3/1 prescribes bumping up you working max, which is based upon 85% of your 1RM, 10 lbs a month for squat and DL and 5/month for presses. This doesn't prescribe how strong you will be, it just prescribes the amount to put on the bar for your workouts.
Save your energy bro

Yep, I'm with you. But that doesn't answer TSs question.

Yep, I'm with you. But that doesn't answer TSs question.
if he starts 531 now with max of 315, his TM will be 90% of that, say 285. as he follows the program as prescribed his TM in 6 months will be 285 + 6 x 10 = 345 lbs and according to the program he will only be required to lift 95% of that. will this make him strong enough to pull a 405 out of his ass? maybe but i doubt it.

if he starts 531 now with max of 315, his TM will be 90% of that, say 285. as he follows the program as prescribed his TM in 6 months will be 285 + 6 x 10 = 345 lbs and according to the program he will only be required to lift 95% of that. will this make him strong enough to pull a 405 out of his ass? maybe but i doubt it.

He didn't say his current max is 315. He doesn't say he's willing to follow 5/3/1 as you understand it (he's talking about only lifting once a week). You're not explaining anything to anyone except for your lack of understanding of the situation. And the situation is that we have insufficient data to predict what the TS can achieve in 6 months.

Starting with the bar seriously? Maybe as a warm up but not for my actual 3 sets of 5 I'm not a complete novice but I wouldn't call myself quite intermediate either

You are absolutely a novice/beginner and nowhere near intermediate.

iv never really stayed on a squat program longer than a month
1. Stay on a squat program for longer than a month.
2. Milk the linear progression (aka noob) gains.
3. Then set goals.

Ye

yes sir I would I'm normally 195 but I quit training all together for year n half till last 2 months I opened a gym I'm 260 atm I've never been this big so I'm taking this time while I'm cutting to build a strength base as I'm not gonna do any cardio hard conditioning until I'm down to 220 so yeah seems best for me for now would be getting stronger focusing solely on that for now

You don't need to cut...you just flat out need to lose weight. Stop trying to make it sound cool.

He didn't say his current max is 315. He doesn't say he's willing to follow 5/3/1 as you understand it (he's talking about only lifting once a week). You're not explaining anything to anyone except for your lack of understanding of the situation. And the situation is that we have insufficient data to predict what the TS can achieve in 6 months.
He said the most he ever lifted for 1 rep is 315 and if his goal is realistic following the 531 system.

Lettuce be cereal bruh you trolling?

If you follow the program as written. Yes.

Back