realistic goals squatting

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
when im at artound 12 % body fat im around 195-198 iv never really stayed on a squat program longer than a month iv just do a set like once a month or so but now i really am working towards getting a strong strength base the most i ever squatted for 1 rep was 315 3 plates im 6 1 and thick legs wide shoulders 32-30 inch waist could i possibly get to 405 within 6 months realistically if i start doing it once a week 5-3-1 system?

Pick a number that is more than you squat now and use that as a goal. Simple.

You could stop trolling for a start.

Fuck your lack of punctuation or spell check also, are you a child or something?

Pick a number that is more than you squat now and use that as a goal. Simple.
I think i'm gonna do starting strengths template until i hit a plateau. Then do 5/3/1, iv heard nothing but great things about it here. I'm not training hard now until i cut my weight back down, and recover from an injury, so I have this time to focus on getting stronger.

Starting strength then 5 3 1 is a good plan imo.

I do have a question about ss. I got the program down, but I can't find anywhere where it tells how much weight to use. So what % of my 1rm do i need?

From what I can tell from your posts, I'm going to guess this squat journey gets waysided and goes nowhere. So your gains will be in the neighborhood of nothing to negligible.

I do have a question about ss. I got the program down, but I can't find anywhere where it tells how much weight to use. So what % of my 1rm do i need?

hard to say exactly, but if you're starting from scratch start with the bar, add weight until the bar path slows down, like you just made a little effort ever so slightly. That's the starting point.

Starting with the bar seriously? Maybe as a warm up but not for my actual 3 sets of 5 I'm not a complete novice but I wouldn't call myself quite intermediate either

From what I can tell from your posts, I'm going to guess this squat journey gets waysided and goes nowhere. So your gains will be in the neighborhood of nothing to negligible.
Nah not this time around only reason it happened in the past is due to things in life getting in the way not being able to go to the gym it won't be an issue now as my academy has a gym in it

Nah not this time around only reason it happened in the past is due to things in life getting in the way not being able to go to the gym it won't be an issue now as my academy has a gym in it

Very well. Let me ask this: During each of these once-a-week sessions you're suggesting, are you willing to work hard enough on squats that it's hard for you to walk, sit, and sleep for four days afterwards?

Starting with the bar seriously? Maybe as a warm up but not for my actual 3 sets of 5 I'm not a complete novice but I wouldn't call myself quite intermediate either

I said start with the bar and add weight until the bar starts to slow down (this should be done in the same session, to be more specific). Then that's your starting weight.

If he's hit 315 only once in his life, he'll probably find his starting point to be relatively low.

Ye
Very well. Let me ask this: During each of these once-a-week sessions you're suggesting, are you willing to work hard enough on squats that it's hard for you to walk, sit, and sleep for four days afterwards?
yes sir I would I'm normally 195 but I quit training all together for year n half till last 2 months I opened a gym I'm 260 atm I've never been this big so I'm taking this time while I'm cutting to build a strength base as I'm not gonna do any cardio hard conditioning until I'm down to 220 so yeah seems best for me for now would be getting stronger focusing solely on that for now

Starting strength then 5 3 1 is a good plan imo.

Given the amount of sport training is doing(from his other posts) I wouldn't attempt a session to session linear progression at all, and just go straight into an intermediate progression that's designed around the assumption of extra work.

Ye

yes sir I would I'm normally 195 but I quit training all together for year n half till last 2 months I opened a gym I'm 260 atm I've never been this big so I'm taking this time while I'm cutting to build a strength base as I'm not gonna do any cardio hard conditioning until I'm down to 220 so yeah seems best for me for now would be getting stronger focusing solely on that for now
You can do a lot with brief, intense workouts. I've made gains, it's hard to compare apples to apples, so it's tough to predict where you'll get to, but I often work out hard enough that it's tough not to vomit during a workout, I'll usually have diarrhea afterwards, and I'm sore as hell for four days. But the gains they keep coming.

I think I'm gonna just do 80 t 85% of my one rep max then try to increase 10 pounds each week on legs 5 upper

If you want to do Starting Strength, read the book and find out how to run it. The same goes for 5/3/1. Don't expect us to spoon feed you how to run the program.

Both will tell you exactly how to find your starting numbers, how to load and progress, how often you should lift, and what accessory lifts you should do.

With 531 you will increase your training max 10lbs per month so your goal stated in the op is not realistic given where you are now.

Back