Re Learning How to Fight

Sounds like you're trying to counter simply by waiting for the opponent to make a move. The thing about great counter punchers is that they don't just wait, they either draw out an attack they want, or they figure out their opponent's rhythm. Your opponent will have a particular rhythm, unless they're great at breaking up their rhythm, you should figure out when they're going to throw before they actually throw. And throw feints, deliberately leave an opening to see how the other guy reacts. Then you know what to counter with.
You should also constantly drill so you can get the timing down.

Also, "throw" has an "h" in it.

Well I dont really have a choice. I go private lessons with 2-3 more friends and all of them are more advanced than me :) One of them is a beast. but he lets me work a lot, but the guy is so fast even in slow mo. The other one we have about the same experience, but he has been very consistent the past 2 years, while I have not, the last one comes fairly rare is lighter than all of us but has some good footwork and hooks I d rate him more advanced than me, due to his technique and footwork, but if we go bang I d probably win due to huge weight advantage. Most of them let me work and are giving me good feedback. I am happy with their contribution.

I am trying to mix it up though. Not just win or do better. I wanted to ask you. If you do boxing, what is a common way you finish your combos with? I was thinking to do some shadow boxing where I do a simple combo (1-2, or 1-1-2) and finishing with a pivot/check hook and even add another cross after that. Or if I finish with a cross to duck under it, step right/slip outside and add another right hand - cross, hook, uppercut depends on the range; or some side steps. Basically I have been watching a lot of Frank Sands youtube channel and he says that you need to do your stuff and hope your punches land and is talking a lot about proactive defending - expecting hits and counters to come and having a plan in mind, however he shows mostly entry engagements and how to do it in the begining with fakes and etc, not in the middle or in the end of an engagement.
No i don't box i do a TMA actually. I don't wanna give you boxing advice because I actually think I need to learn boxing to balance out the style i currently have. Something i can say though is if you can mix parries in with your rapid jabbing you can throw an overhand as/after you parry. Having your elbow pointing upwards like that sorta blocks you head from getting hit i think. Your body will be open though.

Sounds like you're trying to counter simply by waiting for the opponent to make a move. The thing about great counter punchers is that they don't just wait, they either draw out an attack they want, or they figure out their opponent's rhythm. Your opponent will have a particular rhythm, unless they're great at breaking up their rhythm, you should figure out when they're going to throw before they actually throw. And throw feints, deliberately leave an opening to see how the other guy reacts. Then you know what to counter with.
You should also constantly drill so you can get the timing down.

Also, "throw" has an "h" in it.

This all sounds good, but I am thinking I am not in that level. This is pretty advanced stuff you are talking about. I understand it, but it is hard for me to implement it without advanced coaching and drilling and no coach will put me into this stuff seeing my level of boxing.

Last year for the first time I reached some level, where I was not too afraid to fight and was adding simple stuff that worked for me.
For example I just finished a 1-2 combo and instead of backing out of range I just added 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2 and I was suddenly countering their counters or just overwhelming them if they were not countering.
Or when they start attacking I just added the same 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2 moving to my right or backwards and I was stopping their attacks.

However this time I am not able to. So I am trying a new approach - to add check hooks or pivots, to passive counter - catch a jab, add my own 1-2 and etc, or active counter to duck under my cross and add another right hand hit and etc. I was looking for some kind of advice like that. Is this the correct way to learn to fight in general? Or I am in the wrong way. If it is the right stuff, what other movements and and techniques I can try and see what works for me.

This all sounds good, but I am thinking I am not in that level. This is pretty advanced stuff you are talking about. I understand it, but it is hard for me to implement it without advanced coaching and drilling and no coach will put me into this stuff seeing my level of boxing.

Last year for the first time I reached some level, where I was not too afraid to fight and was adding simple stuff that worked for me.
For example I just finished a 1-2 combo and instead of backing out of range I just added 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2 and I was suddenly countering their counters or just overwhelming them if they were not countering.
Or when they start attacking I just added the same 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2 moving to my right or backwards and I was stopping their attacks.

However this time I am not able to. So I am trying a new approach - to add check hooks or pivots, to passive counter - catch a jab, add my own 1-2 and etc, or active counter to duck under my cross and add another right hand hit and etc. I was looking for some kind of advice like that. Is this the correct way to learn to fight in general? Or I am in the wrong way. If it is the right stuff, what other movements and and techniques I can try and see what works for me.

Your approach is fine and natural. I was figuring that kind of stuff out too when I was less experienced. At your level it might be simply better to drill. Drills to work on timing, drill "catch and shoot," drill certain counters, etc. As you keep doing this, you'll put it together in sparring and the theoretical stuff might eventually click and you'll go "Aahh."

It's good to think about this stuff early even if you won't "get it" until you have much more experience. Next time you watch a fight or a sparring session at your gym, watch for rhythm and feints. I've been told to feint by my trainer for years but I didn't really get it until much later. Part of it was because I didn't get it, I didn't really pay attention to it. These concepts might seem too advanced, but they are actually much more fundamental and crucial to your game than adding new tricks.

I like to keep in mind certain mental cues like, "Throw with your opponent" or "Always attack the center line." My guess is that you're not facing the guy's center and that is why you're getting pushed back while your pressure on him isn't as effective.

Your approach is fine and natural. I was figuring that kind of stuff out too when I was less experienced. At your level it might be simply better to drill. Drills to work on timing, drill "catch and shoot," drill certain counters, etc. As you keep doing this, you'll put it together in sparring and the theoretical stuff might eventually click

This. Drilling is so important. It helps build that miscle memory and qyick reactions especially when you drill counters. Im pretty sure Tj Dillashaws main work is drilling and i remember hearing a while ago cowboy doesnt spar he only drills

This. Drilling is so important. It helps build that miscle memory and qyick reactions especially when you drill counters. Im pretty sure Tj Dillashaws main work is drilling and i remember hearing a while ago cowboy doesnt spar he only drills
Remeber, when they say this its different from most of us.

They started fighting in the old days where sparring meant gym war 100% bang bros.

To most of us, their "drilling" is our sparring.

Like-wise drilling ends up being very sparring-like. Eg partner is on offense and I'm on defense, my only offensive counter is 2,3,kick. After a bit it looks no different from sparring.

Remeber, when they say this its different from most of us.

They started fighting in the old days where sparring meant gym war 100% bang bros.

To most of us, their "drilling" is our sparring.

Like-wise drilling ends up being very sparring-like. Eg partner is on offense and I'm on defense, my only offensive counter is 2,3,kick. After a bit it looks no different from sparring.

Very true but I meant pad work specifically. I know Tj spars as well but im usually seeing him hit pads or do some type of s and c. Cowboy in the past said he doesn't spar only drill which i took as pad work...then again he does tend to shell up as of recent. Coincidence?

Very true but I meant pad work specifically. I know Tj spars as well but im usually seeing him hit pads or do some type of s and c. Cowboy in the past said he doesn't spar only drill which i took as pad work...then again he does tend to shell up as of recent. Coincidence?
To be honest I really don't know, the content we're seeing on fighters online is for the most part just a fraction of their day or even bs to spook the competition. I've seen Cowboy do alot of padwork and lighter sparring, but this is a sport, and they're not going to publicly give all the secrets and routine out there. On here we share material and stuff we've been through and thats okay, but its still not the entire thing. Same thing with weight-cutting, thats a very personal endeavor so its why you rarely see them provide insight on it.

Usually padwork and drilling are different. Drilling is like situational stuff and partner work. Ranges anywhere from repetition of technique like catching kicks and dumping them, to what I mentioned earlier. It can be blended, but for the most part we distinguish them based on the terms.

Not sparring at all seems crazy if you want to maintain a certain level of sharpness. No matter how good the mitt holder is it's the same as someone trying to actually take your head off. It only makes sense if you're fighting every other week like guys in Thailand do.

Back