Rdlr problems:( share your experience please

The most straitforward attack from RLDR, berimbolo to crab ride, pretty much is swinging in for deep/reverse half. If you've ever watched Sim Go compete, you know whats up.

You can do essentially the same attack from sit up guard too (something Werdum often does in his fights to sweep or finish takedowns).

Can you link me a video? Sounds like something right up my alley.

Can you link me a video? Sounds like something right up my alley.

Most certainly.

Crab ride from reverse/deep half:

Crab ride from rdlr:

Crab ride from sit up guard:

(r2 4:35, r2 4:00)

(r2 0:25)

From a crab ride, you can transition into a leg ride/twister hook to attack the back, or come up on top into a leg drag to attack an arm triangle or the back or a rarE hip lock, or into x guard to attack saddles or other leg entanglements.

Last edited:
The most straitforwardly effective attack from RLDR, berimbolo to crab ride, pretty much is swinging in for deep/reverse half. If you've ever watched Sim Go compete, you know whats up.

You can do essentially the same attack from sit up guard too (something Werdum often does in his fights to sweep or finish takedowns).

I don't know that if call kiss of the dragon the most straightforward attack from rdlr. Tripod sweep is easier. I think even rollover tomoe nagae is easier in gi (partly because KOTD is harder in gi)

Gui Mendes has said that in gi he's not a huge RDLR guy. That basically it's a50/50 position as to who passes or who sweeps. Mostly he uses it to reset to DLR in gi.

I don't know that if call kiss of the dragon the most straightforward attack from rdlr. Tripod sweep is easier. I think even rollover tomoe nagae is easier in gi (partly because KOTD is harder in gi)

Gui Mendes has said that in gi he's not a huge RDLR guy. That basically it's a50/50 position as to who passes or who sweeps. Mostly he uses it to reset to DLR in gi.

It's funny you mention that because i actually considered advising looking into the tripod sweep and caio terra/dlr foot lock as a series together, but i decided to mention crab rides first since A. i did not want to dump too many different things to try and focus on at once, and B. it's something that ties into something he was already doing before anyways.

As an aside, going by your eyeballs and looking actual competition, i tend to see people succeeding with berimbolos a lot more than tomoe nagaes (or tripod sweep itself for that matter) vs high level competition. It's actually in MMA that i tend to see tripod sweeps more often (relatively speaking), due to the upkick threat making people more hesitant in approaching.

Back