rdlr/dlr players

machomang

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've been using rdlr lately and will go for a tripod sweep if opponent is standing and if I can time it right I will go to kiss of the dragon, but if I miss it I try to go to deep half as they pressure down on me.

I get stuck when they are in a knee slice position pinning my rdlr leg. I try to bump their butt to go to dog fight but they are too heavy. I also use my free foot to kick off their hip or chest to create space but in gi, they'll grab my pant leg and it becomes immobilized. Any ideas?

As for the regular dlr, I never play that but am looking to incorporate it into my game. What's everyone's first go to sweep?

Lately I've been playing with Tornado Guard with a RDLR opening, since going to KOD gets blocked easily by good guys. I load the guy on myself with a deep RDLR (Caio Terra shin grip), then switch my grips and launch him forward tornado style. So far I got some decent success with it!

Lately I've been playing with Tornado Guard with a RDLR opening, since going to KOD gets blocked easily by good guys. I load the guy on myself with a deep RDLR (Caio Terra shin grip), then switch my grips and launch him forward tornado style. So far I got some decent success with it!
I've never tried tornado guard, always been apprehensive about it. Any insights?

As they go to pin i get my nearside arm underneath the RDLR leg so that it doesn't touch the floor- this makes it very easy to rotate on that axis even when the pressure if very heavy. In addition it hides the arm from them to prevent it being grabbed to aid the knee slide. Typically I'll use the added rotation capability to enter DHG. Learned this from Caio Terra's half guard set.

As they go to pin i get my nearside arm underneath the RDLR leg so that it doesn't touch the floor- this makes it very easy to rotate on that axis even when the pressure if very heavy. In addition it hides the arm from them to prevent it being grabbed to aid the knee slide. Typically I'll use the added rotation capability to enter DHG. Learned this from Caio Terra's half guard set.
Yes, I place that nearside arm under the leg to prevent the knee slice as well. You're just rotating to dhg, no other options? My instructor (pretty well known dhg guy)doesn't like it when I go to dhg from there because their other leg is usually based out. He thinks it's not going to be effective with higher belts. I still do it with decent success.

I've never tried tornado guard, always been apprehensive about it. Any insights?

From what I've seen, tornado guard is mostly 180 on your back to get under your opponent and be able to launch him forward using your hamstring, and/or play with his reactions. I only started trying it, but so far the biggest hurdle is that you need to load the guy onto you before any of it works. He sits on his butt and he's your weight or heavier? You're shit out of luck, nothing happens.

So either you time your spin under with the other guy's movement, or you find a way to bring him forward by force (RDLR in my case) and then spin.

I've been using rdlr lately and will go for a tripod sweep if opponent is standing and if I can time it right I will go to kiss of the dragon, but if I miss it I try to go to deep half as they pressure down on me.

I get stuck when they are in a knee slice position pinning my rdlr leg. I try to bump their butt to go to dog fight but they are too heavy. I also use my free foot to kick off their hip or chest to create space but in gi, they'll grab my pant leg and it becomes immobilized. Any ideas?

As for the regular dlr, I never play that but am looking to incorporate it into my game. What's everyone's first go to sweep?
This is basically sentence for sentence my deal with RDLR. Same go-tos, same back up, same successes and same problems.

When thru grab my pant leg with those long step grips and extend their arm knuckled down, it's a bitch.

Their head is usually low, and I attack guillotines from everywhere. So I usually try to sit up and wrap their head to threaten a guillotine or loop choke and try to get them to address that so I can get some real estate back.

Honestly though if they get past the frame of your free foot, get your pants cuff, and really extend the grip while deep into a knee slice, in my experience you're pretty much fucked. If it really feels hopeless, I take try to bridge 2-3 times hard into their shoulder/hear area to get a far arm frame back in the picture. But again my feet might be elevated off the ground, so those bridges often don't have much power.

Also trying to frame and push on their head as hard as possible helps me get a little space back.

It's a tough spot. Wish I could help more.

Back