RDA ruined the True Conor Era.

Nate couldn't make 155, and literally every fighter comes up with excuses after a loss. Difference is Conor went back to the same weight class and beat him in a rematch.

you're absolutely making up the fact that "Nate couldn't make 155". Conor himself spent the whole buildup to the first fight claiming he picked the weight to "make Nate comfortable".

I have no idea why you're arguing about stuff that's not debatable at all.

Also if you think RDA is smaller than Diaz then you are out of your mind. RDA cuts around 40lbs+ to get to LW..

you clearly have no fucking clue what cutting weight means, either.

how is this so difficult to understand? cutting weight is done through dehydration, and it's moving from weight X to your contracted weight Y on weigh-in night, throughout fight week. after weighing in at the official weight of Y, you rehydrate back to roughly X. so a guy like RDA is ~175 a week before the fight, 155 on weigh-in night, and ~175 on fight night, having rehydrated from the previous night.

RDA being 195 three months before the fight has absolutely fuckall to do with his fight weight. he does not cut 40lbs, he puts on 40lbs between fights. but he could get up to 300lbs, he'd still be ~175 in the cage, so all this nonsense about how huge these guys are is retarded. and no one, not a single soul, actually cuts 30lbs to make lightweight. it's physically impossible. much less 40, lol.

Saying Conor's ground game is bad is off the mark but saying it is solid is off the mark as well. It is incomplete and unrefined. He doesn't train for it. It is never part of his plan to go to the ground. He trains for one aspect of the ground game, escapes.

Saying his ground game is bad is not completely true. It Would be more apt to say that a brown belt in bjj should have much better ground game than Conor displays.
Again, this is not my opinion. I just happen to respect Eddie bravo's knowledge and wisdom In jiu jitsu. If he says someone Is legit, they're legit. It's really that simple. He's not going to give you a biased or uninformed opinion.

Now, being legit obviously doesn't mean you're Nate Diaz either. Nate is a LEGIT black belt and has been doing this for a long time. He's obviously not on that level. That said, judging someone's jiu jitsu based on one performance against a much higher level grappler..especially after taking hard shots / exhausted Is a bit short sighted and wont give you the full picture.

his main training partner Is a Marcelo garcia black belt. I trust Eddie, he has a wealth of wisdom In Jiu jitsu and he's personally trained with him. If he says something or shares his opinion on someones grappling, I tend to go with him rather than the average fan who usually has no clue what they're talking about.

He's been known to walk around pretty light while In camp @ lightweight. Eats mostly raw vegan, very little animal food or anabolic / building foods and restricted calories. Take a guy on an extremely restricted diet and feed him some meat, carbs, calories and he'll blow up pretty fast. Can attest to this from experience.

Who knows what he was cuttin for the first fight. Given the fact that he was walking around @ 175 for lightweight and that he was pretty far removed from camp / pigging out and drinking beer in cabo and the fact that he had a bit of fat on him during the fight..you have to figure he cut at least 10. Probably more. And he was much bigger for the 2nd fight so you just have to kind of read between the lines on that one

I'll also say that cutting is a broad term and doesn't just mean dehydrating themselves In the sauna or bath. It also entails cutting out certain carbs,drinking massive quantities of water to eliminate salt retention, natural diuretics, removal of sugar and some anabolic foods, eating more fruits and vegetables / salads. If a guy says they're cutting 20 pounds, It doesn't always mean they're bleeding themselves dry In the sauna. Especially today, more fighters are emphasizing "doing right" which means through diet, nutrition and working their fucking asses off. Post weigh In they probably wont be gaining back as much weight as someone who cut the same amount In water, but take a guy who's been on an extremely restricted diet for X amount of time and feed him a bunch of meat, fish, eggs and CALORIES..and they'll definitely put on a good amount of weight. Just wanted to clarify the cutting thing since you said cutting means dehydration.

It means a lot of things

well, no, that's losing weight. of course guys keep their weight down through dieting, but that doesn't really play a factor in the fight. like i've said several times already, only 3 weights matter:

1. weight about a week before the fight, roughly what they'll be cutting from
2. weight on weigh-in night
3. weight on fight night, roughly where they started at with 1.

a guy being 250lbs several months out of camp doesn't give him any advantage, at all. the only size advantage he has is what he can cut to make weight and regain once he's done that. other than that, it's all completely and utterly irrelevant to this debate.

how is this so difficult to understand? cutting weight is done through dehydration, and it's moving from weight X to your contracted weight Y on weigh-in night, throughout fight week. after weighing in at the official weight of Y, you rehydrate back to roughly X. so a guy like RDA is ~175 a week before the fight, 155 on weigh-in night, and ~175 on fight night, having rehydrated from the previous night.

RDA being 195 three months before the fight has absolutely fuckall to do with his fight weight. he does not cut 40lbs, he puts on 40lbs between fights. but he could get up to 300lbs, he'd still be ~175 in the cage, so all this nonsense about how huge these guys are is retarded. and no one, not a single soul, actually cuts 30lbs to make lightweight. it's physically impossible. much less 40, lol.
You're right, but at the same time cutting is a very broad term and the way people, particularly fighters use It encompasses many meanings. Perceived technicalities aside, you have to kind of take that Into account.

Conor had Just KOed Jose Aldo in 13 seconds and become the UFC featherweight champion. He was undefeated in the UFC. He was basically untouchable having KOed everyone but 1 opponent. Then he decided to fight RDA at lightweight. I have no doubt in my mind he would have KOed him even worse than sloppy Eddie did. He would have become 2 weight world champion WITHOUT fighting Nate Diaz at 170 twice. But RDA pulled out last minute. I partly blame conor for fighting someone much larger on 11 days notice. He should have just waited for RDA.

Conor would still be undefeated in the UFC and be the Featherweight and lightweight champion. He then could have either defended the Lightweight or featherweight belt, or retire on top and be a legend. Then go box mayweather and leave the game rich. Fuck RDA.

Fuck RDA?

No, Fuck you.<13>

Kind of glad it didn't happen. His fights with Diaz were awesome.

They added to his legacy. People questioned his heart after the first one. He then survived a long drawn out war, in the rematch.

I've cut weight several times before and you are off the mark. What you said is right in theory but has lots of wiggle room person to person. I train with plenty of people who cut 30 to LW and WW. It isn't healthy but it isn't uncommon and you are a fool to think otherwise.

This is why you get people fainting before match ups. You CAN cut 30lbs+ before your fight but it will severely fuck you up the longer you do it.

One of my gym mate will cut from 186 down to 155 and by the time he is re hydrated he'll be 180 again.

You aren't accounting for variation person to person. Besides the point is that in cage RDA would be no smaller than in cage Diaz especially since Diaz 3 mounths before a fight is significantly lighter than RDA. Diaz has never been heavy, He is just stupidly tall and long.

You're right, but at the same time cutting is a very broad term and the way people, particularly fighters use It encompasses many meanings. You have to kind of take that Into account.
semantics are irrelevant here. i don't care what tommy toughnuts thinks the word "cutting weight" means, we're talking about size differences between fighters, and a legion of conor fans claiming nate had a size advantage over him in the first fight. and their main argument for that is "nate cuts 40lbs!" - well, he doesn't. it's complete and utter bullshit.

he's 165 - 170 when he steps into the cage for his lightweight fights, which is pretty standard for a lightweight. he was 180lbs at most for their second fight, and he was somewhere in the very close vicinity of 170 for the first one. either under, or 2-3 pounds over.

nate isn't and never was a big cutter. but it's easier to justify conor gassing to shit, getting slapped around and choked out if he was fighting some 200lbs monstrosity.

Again, this is not my opinion. I just happen to respect Eddie bravo's knowledge and wisdom In jiu jitsu. If he says someone Is legit, they're legit. It's really that simple. He's not going to give you a biased or uninformed opinion.

Now, being legit obviously doesn't mean you're Nate Diaz either. Nate is a LEGIT black belt and has been doing this for a long time. He's obviously not on that level. That said, judging someone's jiu jitsu based on one performance against a much higher level grappler..especially after taking hard shots / exhausted Is a bit short sighted and wont give you the full picture.

his main training partner Is a Marcelo garcia black belt. I trust Eddie, he has a wealth of wisdom In Jiu jitsu and he's personally trained with him. If he says something or shares his opinion on someones grappling, I tend to go with him rather than the average fan who usually has no clue what they're talking about.
Fair enough. I take Eddie Bravo's opinions on fighters with a grain of salt because he is very passionate and excitable about the fight game. He knows his stuff but I don't know if I can call him unbiased he if finds a fighter he likes. Also Eddie is a bit eccentric in general. He tends to exaggerate a lot which has made me question him more over the years. That's just me though.

I've cut weight several times before and you are off the mark. What you said is right in theory but has lots of wiggle room person to person. I train with plenty of people who cut 30 to LW and WW. It isn't healthy but it isn't uncommon and you are a fool to think otherwise.

This is why you get people fainting before match ups. You CAN cut 30lbs+ before your fight but it will severely fuck you up the longer you do it.

One of my gym mate will cut from 186 down to 155 and by the time he is re hydrated he'll be 180 again.

You aren't accounting for variation person to person. Besides the point is that in cage RDA would be no smaller than in cage Diaz especially since Diaz 3 mounths before a fight is significantly lighter than RDA. Diaz has never been heavy, He is just stupidly tall and long.

do your guys not fully rehydrate in time for the fight? i would say your friend was around 180 when he cut to 155 and came back to 180, i sincerely doubt he stopped his water intake and began sweating at 186, only to come back to 180. dude's still missing 6lbs of water in his body when he fights, then, which is absurd.

dropping 25lbs (from 180 to 155) isn't unfathomable, but it is extreme. i know it can be done, a teammate of mine was 24lbs heavier the morning after the weigh in, i saw it with my own eyes. but he fought at 185 and there is a humongous difference between dropping 25lbs and 31lbs. the higher you go, the more difficult those pounds get.

nate was much larger than RDA?

nate weighed in at 169. he was allowed to weigh in at 171. he did not cut any weight for that fight. conor weighed in at 168. nate was a whopping 1lb heavier.

had RDA made it, he would've been roughly 170, 175 max on fight night.

it's fine you're a fan of conor, but let's not be retarded here.
You can't honestly believe that? Nate has been on record numerous times talking about how hard it is to stay in good enough shape to make 155 so there is no way he is 169 pounds nate is much bigger than people seem to want to believe he's 6ft and lanky so it doesn't look a like it Screenshot_20170519-203303.jpgI know this is the second fight but c'mon conor was conor was proably bigger also but there is a very large size difference

You can't honestly believe that? Nate has been on record numerous times talking about how hard it is to stay in good enough shape to make 155 so there is no way he is 169 pounds nate is much bigger than people seem to want to believe he's 6ft and lanky so it doesn't look a like it
i've been through this with other people in this thread.

there is no logical explanation for him to be coming in 2lbs under the contracted weight limit if he was cutting anything significant. if he was 173, took a quick sauna or a run and sweated out more than he planned to, it makes sense. but we're literally talking about a 5lbs difference, then. there is simply no conceivable reason for him to cut 10 or 15lbs to make the limit, but then go an extra 2. you don't mistakenly cut too much when you're cutting anything above 5-6lbs.

so either he didn't cut at all and actually weighed 169, or he cut an insignificant amount and the single cutting session took him over the limit. assuming anything else is being stupid.

semantics are irrelevant here. i don't care what tommy toughnuts thinks the word "cutting weight" means, we're talking about size differences between fighters, and a legion of conor fans claiming nate had a size advantage over him in the first fight. and their main argument for that is "nate cuts 40lbs!" - well, he doesn't. it's complete and utter bullshit.

he's 165 - 170 when he steps into the cage for his lightweight fights, which is pretty standard for a lightweight. he was 180lbs at most for their second fight, and he was somewhere in the very close vicinity of 170 for the first one. either under, or 2-3 pounds over.

nate isn't and never was a big cutter. but it's easier to justify conor gassing to shit, getting slapped around and choked out if he was fighting some 200lbs monstrosity.
do your guys not fully rehydrate in time for the fight? i would say your friend was around 180 when he cut to 155 and came back to 180, i sincerely doubt he stopped his water intake and began sweating at 186, only to come back to 180. dude's still missing 6lbs of water in his body when he fights, then, which is absurd.

dropping 25lbs (from 180 to 155) isn't unfathomable, but it is extreme. i know it can be done, a teammate of mine was 24lbs heavier the morning after the weigh in, i saw it with my own eyes. but he fought at 185 and there is a humongous difference between dropping 25lbs and 31lbs. the higher you go, the more difficult those pounds get.
I low balled my friends weight because he fluctuates a lot. He'll be anywhere from 180 to 186 depending on if we're running marathons in that time frame or not. (Personally I only cut 15-20 pounds max. I refuse to fight out of my natural range like a bunch of these UFC dudes are.)

I really think you misunderstood the intent of of my comment btw. I am by no means defending Conor or trying to make Nate out to be a giant. I just was pointing out the logical fallacy that RDA would have been a safer opponent for Conor because it would be at LW.

LW is full of big dudes who try to cut unhealthy amounts of weight to get an edge. There is no safety in fighting RDA instead of Nate. That was my point.

you're absolutely making up the fact that "Nate couldn't make 155". Conor himself spent the whole buildup to the first fight claiming he picked the weight to "make Nate comfortable".

I have no idea why you're arguing about stuff that's not debatable at all.

As I recall, Nate's team tried pursuing a catch weight because he didn't want to cut on such short notice. After they couldn't figure it out McGregor gratuitously let him stay comfortable.

Either way, this isn't a knock against McGregor.

Im a Conor fan, but Nate wasnt much larger than Conor in the first fight. Nate looked in bad shape. In the second fight tho i agree. Nate had atleast 15 pounds on Conor which makes his victory even more impressive. Nate was in phenomenal shape in the second fight.
Both of them were awesome fights. I gained a ton of respect for both of them because of those fights.

Fair enough. I take Eddie Bravo's opinions on fighters with a grain of salt because he is very passionate and excitable about the fight game. He knows his stuff but I don't know if I can call him unbiased he if finds a fighter he likes. Also Eddie is a bit eccentric in general. He tends to exaggerate a lot which has made me question him more over the years. That's just me though.
Maybe when analyzing mma. He's pretty straight forward and doesn't mess around when It comes to jiu jitsu though. He broke It down pretty objectively.

said conor has solid jiu jitsu, he was a good purple belt ( at the time) n not to get It twisted. but not on Nate's level.

You'd expect most purple / brown belts to get smashed by Nate on the ground.

Maybe when analyzing mma. He's pretty straight forward and doesn't mess around when It comes to jiu jitsu though. He broke It down pretty objectively.

said conor has solid jiu jitsu, he was a good purple belt ( at the time) n not to get It twisted. but not on Nate's level.

You'd expect most purple / brown belts to get smashed by Nate on the ground.
Yeah, idk. I guess I just expected him to put of more of a fight. He usually scrambles his way out these kinds of situations but he just kinda gave up. Usually if I'm against someone who's outclassing me on the ground I have a sense of urgency. I just didn't see that from Conor. Maybe Nate rocked harder than people thought.

i've been through this with other people in this thread.

there is no logical explanation for him to be coming in 2lbs under the contracted weight limit if he was cutting anything significant. if he was 173, took a quick sauna or a run and sweated out more than he planned to, it makes sense. but we're literally talking about a 5lbs difference, then. there is simply no conceivable reason for him to cut 10 or 15lbs to make the limit, but then go an extra 2. you don't mistakenly cut too much when you're cutting anything above 5-6lbs.

so either he didn't cut at all and actually weighed 169, or he cut an insignificant amount and the single cutting session took him over the limit. assuming anything else is being stupid.
Many people have went on record saying that they missed weight or came in under because of an inaccurate scale during the cut

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back