Rda about Ferguson's awful eyepoke and how it affected the fight.

It was a bad poke i gave rda 2 rds. That could have swung a Rd in rdas favor

Tony was already starting to find his rhythm and land really good shots before the poke, though. Tony started to settle in after the first. And even though you can definitely give RDA 2 rounds, Tony outstruck him pretty handily overall. I personally gave Tony 4 rounds.

Oh wait YOU are pretty sure of it? Well damn, then it MUST be true!

Better conditioned because RDA noticeably and CLEARLY was moving more slowly starting about halfway through round 3. It was Mexico City, and pretty much everyone on that card slowed down and looked tired later in fights. Everyone EXCEPT Tony. So yeah, based on EVIDENCE that I saw with my own eyes, Tony was better conditioned.

Obviously I'm not gonna stop you from living in your fantasy world of "what ifs", but I'll go with what I know, because I got to see it. Tony took over and dominated the second half of the fight and is the better fighter.
yes took over after the eyepoke, that much was pretty clear

yes took over after the eyepoke, that much was pretty clear

So...the eyepoke happened in round 2. RDA did very well the first part of ROUND 3 AND ACTUALLY WON THAT ROUND based on the first part of that round, and then Tony took over. a

LOL so RDA's eye magically was fine for awhile after the eyepoke when he still looked somewhat fresh and was hanging in there, but then the eye really started bugging him again late in round 3 when Tony started to pour it on and increase his output and RDA started to slow and decrease his.

Yeah, pretty amazing coincidence that the eye bothered him, then didn't, then did again and it call coincided right with him getting tired!

You people are comical. And sad. All at once.

Facing reality isn't that hard. It really isn't, I promise.

Tony may well lose to Khabib. I'll be rooting for Tony (partly due to having a bet on him at nice odds). But if he loses, I'm not gonna make lame excuses and refuse to face reality. You should do the same buddy. Tony is better than RDA, and you living in denial isn't gonna change it.

Rda was owning Ferg before the eyepoke, defo changed the fight.

RDA should have taken his 5 minutes of recovery time and told the doctor "I can't continue." He chose to continue, making this a lame excuse. LOL

Eye Poke... Is Normal when fighting UFC. That loss was probably the best thing for his career. Dude might be future champ at 170...

Did he take the 5 minutes? Im guessing not, since no fighters take the full 5 minutes.

I don't understand....Take the fucking 5 minutes at least.

They don’t get 5 minutes unless a shot to the testicles or cawk.

Ferg is fucked against khabib ..

he will be the greatest LW if he wins though

Toferg be all like “what? What?

Then khabib be all like “huh”

Then toferg be all like “where’s your tiramisu at”

Then khabib will be all like “damn... where IS it...”

Toferg be all like “what? What?

Then khabib be all like “huh”

Then toferg be all like “where’s your tiramisu at”

Then khabib will be all like “damn... where IS it...”

shit like this is why you have a 1 to 3 like ratio

RDA should have taken his 5 minutes of recovery time and told the doctor "I can't continue." He chose to continue, making this a lame excuse. LOL

There is no five minute recovery time for eyepokes. Your post is invalid.

Hypocrisy of sherdog - eyepokes.

It's alright for Ferguson but not Jon Jones

You have some balls calling us hypocrites, yet you defend the biggest hypocrite of them all

Jon Jones is a serial eye poker. Just like he is a druggie and PED cheater.

LOL. Wow...just wow.

Yep I like watching Ferg fight. But man you are the one doing some serious projecting if you think everyone else is that emotionally invested in certain fighters.

I've been around here a long time, fan of MMA almost 10 years prior to that. Liked watching a lot of guys fight but I'm remembering more and more why I stick to the MMA betting forum and avoid the heavies. So many clowns here.

Those gifs don't even approach showing intention on Tony's part. The pawing motions to find range happen all the time. It's just hilarious that RDA and now bozos here would use that as an excuse. Evidently now an accidental eye poke makes a guy's output drop off while his better conditioned opponent ups their output.

This place...some things don't change.
Nice av

There is no five minute recovery time for eyepokes. Your post is invalid.
When Ben Askren eye poked Santos, Santos was given 5 minutes to recover, but he still wasn't able to continue, and the fight was declared a no contest.

I have heard referees tell fighters they have all the time they need to recover from an eye poke, I have always fought they could take up to 5 minutes. If I am wrong then I stand corrected.

However, if the eye poke was really that fight changing, RDA had the option of a no contest. He chose to continue. So, from that point on, it is silly to claim that he lost because of an eye poke.

Once a fighter is fouled, he doesn't have to continue if he doesn't want to. Fighters need to be brave enough to make that decision, because making that decision is much tougher than crying and complaining after the fact.

Those gifs don't even approach showing intention on Tony's part. The pawing motions to find range happen all the time. It's just hilarious that RDA and now bozos here would use that as an excuse.

Immaterial of the Ferguson/RDA fight and whether RDA would have won if it weren't for the eyepoke, something we'll never know, this...

The fight took place in November 2016. That's post-Jon Jones. New ABC-unified rules had already been passed turning reaching toward your opponent's face with an open hand into a foul. Nobody competing in MMA in 2016 did not know that when you paw toward your opponent's face with an open hand, he's probably going to get gouged in the eye. The most generous realistic interpretation is that he was deliberately using a technique that he knew would probably result in an eye-gouge, but saw that as an added bonus rather than his primary intent.

And you know what? I don't even blame him. When eye-gouging is not penalized and fighters make twice as much money for winning, how can you? I'd poke Dos Anjos in the eyes too if it might be the difference in whether or not my daughter gets to go to the best university that accepts her. Don't hate the player, hate the regulators who incentivize this shit. But let's not be naive. The pawing motions to find range happen all the time because they result in eye gouges and aren't penalized, not despite it.

Yeah. He's the most exciting guy to watch right now. Not the best fighter in the world (though he's obviously elite), but always brings it 100%.

I'm old school, lots of guys have had that spot over the years.

Immaterial of the Ferguson/RDA fight and whether RDA would have won if it weren't for the eyepoke, something we'll never know, this...

The fight took place in November 2016. That's post-Jon Jones. New ABC-unified rules had already been passed turning reaching toward your opponent's face with an open hand into a foul. Nobody competing in MMA in 2016 did not know that when you paw toward your opponent's face with an open hand, he's probably going to get gouged in the eye. The most generous realistic interpretation is that he was deliberately using a technique that he knew would probably result in an eye-gouge, but saw that as an added bonus rather than his primary intent.

And you know what? I don't even blame him. When eye-gouging is not penalized and fighters make twice as much money for winning, how can you? I'd poke Dos Anjos in the eyes too if it might be the difference in whether or not my daughter gets to go to the best university that accepts her. Don't hate the player, hate the regulators who incentivize this shit. But let's not be naive. The pawing motions to find range happen all the time because they result in eye gouges and aren't penalized, not despite it.

Some truth to that for sure in general terms. I guess as it pertains directly to Tony, I would say that to my knowledge he has no history of it either prior or since then. So if it's a case of him (and as you said, not just him but tons of guys) simply believing they won't be punished and can benefit by doing it, why hasn't Tony continued to do it?

Logic would say he did it, may or may not have benefited from it (personally I don't think it mattered that much but like you said-we'll never know and obviously we've been over it ad nauseum itt), and wasn't punished so he'd continue to "take advantage" of the lack of enforcement. I would say that an equally realistic interpretation based on this fact is that Tony did it completely subconsciously and didn't even think he poked RDA's eye (or not much anyway). That would make his reaction afterward far more understandable (his gesticulations that seemed to imply RDA was milking it or attempting to stall the fight.

Attempting to assign motivation in a case like this is pretty tricky, and a slippery slope. When there's a pattern that's one thing, but that's not the case here.

Back