Razer's phone has a 120Hz screen, available November 17 for $700

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Today, Razer revealed why I left that meeting impressed: the Razer Phone is an Android smartphone featuring a 5.72-inch 1440x2560 IGZO display with a 120Hz refresh rate, variable refresh rate technology, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor, 64GB onboard storage, and 8GB of RAM. Other features include dual front-facing speakers backed up with Dolby Atmos technology, dual rear 12 MP cameras, an 8 MP front camera, fingerprint reader, a microSD slot capable of up to 2TB capacity, and a 4,000 mAh battery with Qualcomm QuickCharge 4.0+. According to Razer, that's enough charge for 12.5 hours of video playback, 63.5 hours of audio, or seven hours of Hearthstone straight.

To that end, the high-end hardware is good for more than just gaming. Apps are quick to load, and even quicker to switch between, thanks to the 8GB of RAM. The 120Hz screen is also useful for regular tasks, as it makes scrolling through your Twitter or Instagram timeline smoother than ever, and the IGZO screen's 1440x2560 resolution and Wide Color Gamut looked top-notch. This paired with Dolby Atmos-powered front speakers made for one of the best mobile media experiences I can think of.

Visually, the Razer Phone should appeal to anyone who likes Razer's existing hardware. Taking inspiration from Razer's Blade series of gaming laptops, the phone has a large (but thin—8mm to be precise) aluminum body with sharp corners instead of the rounded edges and glass shells of many recent smartphones like the iPhone 8 and Samsung Galaxy S8. Like the iPhone, it also foregoes a headphone jack in favor of a single USB-C port. The Razer Phone also uses the popular Nova Launcher Prime, which is known for its customizability—another thing we appreciate as PC gamers. Android-wise, it's on Nougat version 7.1.1, and will receive the upgrade to Android Oreo in spring 2018.

Of course, all these high-end features aren't worth a thing if the accompanying price point puts them out of reach. In fact, I had all but written the phone off throughout my briefing, thinking "yeah this is great, but it probably costs more than $1,000." I was shocked (and pleasantly surprised) when Razer told me it would retail for $700—no other phone on the market has a 120Hz screen, adaptive refresh rate tech, or 8GB of RAM. For comparison, the iPhone 8 also starts at $700, while the Google Pixel 2 starts at $650.

http://www.pcgamer.com/razers-phone-has-a-120hz-screen-available-november-17-for-700/#comment-jump

seems a little pricey for not having

looks great to be honest, but a phone just to game seems like a waste of money, you could buy a console, tons of steam games, upgrade your PC or something, even get a 3DS, not worth the money at least for me

looks great to be honest, but a phone just to game seems like a waste of money, you could buy a console, tons of steam games, upgrade your PC or something, even get a 3DS, not worth the money at least for me

razor is also cheap ass bitches.

Yeah, I'd just buy a baller gpu and or cpu, and have enough for some bomb weed.

True, but the attractiveness of this is the trade-off price. After all, $699 is cheaper than the baseline iPhone 8/Plus/X, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, and Pixel 2/2XL. This isn't their Shield Tablet. It's a phone, too. Your console and PC won't connect to cell networks, and can't fit in your pocket.

This is actually the best thing I've seen on paper in years as far as a newcomer to the game.

Last edited:
Buy a "gaming phone" to play shit I can already play on my current phone? No thanks.

Or are they making games especially for this phone? Because I can't see that taking off.

Buy a "gaming phone" to play shit I can already play on my current phone? No thanks.

Or are they making games especially for this phone? Because I can't see that taking off.
Well, for some games, where framerates matter to gamers, such as Vainglory, NOVA, Blitz Brigade, or Bullet Force, for example, your phone won't do it as well. It's running at 60fps, tops, and more likely 30fps, not 120.

But on top of that-- this isn't a niche product. It's a smartphone with better specs than all the other Tier 1 smartphones for less money. This thing is an absolute monster on paper:
  • 5.72" IPS display
  • 2560 x 1440 resolution
  • 120Hz (nobody else does this)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor
  • 8GB RAM
  • 64GB storage (2TB expandable SDXC slot)
  • Dual 12MP rear cameras; 8MP front camera
  • Dolby front-facing stereo speakers (!!)
  • USB-C w/Quickcharge 4.0
  • 4,000 mAH battery
  • Android Nougat 7.1.1
On top of that it looks like they're catering to the hacker community with an extremely lightweight skin for Android. NOVA Prime is hands down the best launcher out there.

No IR Remote. Drat.

This thing looks incredible, dude. Compare:

Last edited:
Well, for some games, where framerates matter to gamers, such as Vainglory, NOVA, Blitz Brigade, or Bullet Force, for example, your phone won't do it as well. It's running at 60fps, tops, and more likely 30fps, not 120.

But on top of that-- this isn't a niche product. It's a smartphone with better specs than all the other Tier 1 smartphones for less money. This thing is an absolute monster on paper:
  • 5.72" IPS display
  • 2560 x 1440 resolution
  • 120Hz (nobody else does this)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor
  • 8GB RAM
  • 64GB storage (2TB expandable SDXC slot)
  • Dual 12MP rear cameras; 8MP front camera
  • Dolby front-facing stereo speakers (!!)
  • USB-C w/Quickcharge 4.0
  • 4,000 mAH battery
  • Android Nougat 7.1.1
On top of that it looks like they're catering to the hacker community with an extremely lightweight skin for Android. NOVA Prime is hands down the best launcher out there.

No IR Remote. Drat.

This thing looks incredible, dude. Compare:
The battery size is what peaked my interest. It also appears it would be more rugged with the bezels compared to the edge to edge glass that flagships are gravitating to. The volume buttons are a concern though, a couple of reviewers have said they felt cheap. I'm going to wait for more reviews before I decide to pull the trigger.
I'm a little disappointed that there's no RGB. Everyone joked about it, but it wouldn't have surprised anyone if they would have included it.

Super tempting but I can't see myself spending that much on a phone when my nexus is still running just fine (i sound poor because I am). But if I were in the market for one, I'd definitely jump on this, especially since it's running stock(ish) android. The lack of a 3.5 jack kinda rustles my jimmies though.

Id rather spend money on BBB shoes
tenor.gif

Normally, I'd be very interested in this. Looks like a great phone that I would pick up when my contract runs out next year.

But, its a Razer. That's an automatic deal-breaker.

I bought a Razer keyboard in 2010, and it mysteriously died on me after two weeks. So I exercised the warranty and they sent me a new keyboard.... and it didn't work at all.

Rather than alert the company and recieve another keyboard that doesn't work, I wrote negative online reviews on multiple websites, and took a $90 loss rather than interact with them again. So, there's little to no chance I'd trust a Razer smartphone.

Fuck Razer.

Normally, I'd be very interested in this. Looks like a great phone that I would pick up when my contract runs out next year.

But, its a Razer. That's an automatic deal-breaker.

I bought a Razer keyboard in 2010, and it mysteriously died on me after two weeks. So I exercised the warranty and they sent me a new keyboard.... and it didn't work at all.

Rather than alert the company and recieve another keyboard that doesn't work, I wrote negative online reviews on multiple websites, and took a $90 loss rather than interact with them again. So, there's little to no chance I'd trust a Razer smartphone.

Fuck Razer.
I anticipate supply will be their #1 issue. That's always the issue with Razer.

After that, yeah, the first version of the NVIDIA Shield tablet had a major build quality issue with overheating. They got it right with the second version, but by using the same specs, and at that point the iPad line had passed it by. We'll see. The analogue for assessment here should be their laptops/tablets, not their peripherals.

I anticipated supply will be their #1 issue. That's always the issue with Razer.

After that, yeah, the first version of the NVIDIA Shield tablet had a major build quality issue with overheating. They got it right with the second version, but by using the same specs, and at that point the iPad line had passed it by. We'll see. The analogue for assessment here should be their laptops/tablets, not their peripherals.

That all may be true, but that doesn't excuse an expensive high-quality keyboard suddenly stop working after 2 weeks of use, and they sent me a replacement that didn't work at all.

And, they didn't give me a call or sent me an email asking if the replacement was satisfactory.

So, as far as this phone goes, whatever advanced options it has will probably be ripped off by its competetion in the near future.

That all may be true, but that doesn't excuse an expensive high-quality keyboard suddenly stop working after 2 weeks of use, and they sent me a replacement that didn't work at all.

And, they didn't give me a call or sent me an email asking if the replacement was satisfactory.

So, as far as this phone goes, whatever advanced options it has will probably be ripped off by its competetion in the near future.

Should have just asked for another. You could still write the negative review.

Is a follow up standard for you?

I've never gotten a follow up on any replacement for anything I've ever bought.

I have also had bad experience with them in terms of customer support for their MMO mouse, and so did a friend. I no longer personally consider Razer mice for purchases.

But it's tech, so I try not to have too long a memory. Otherwise, if my memory is long enough, I can remember just about any company flubbing it up on occasion. There's only a few that have truly embittered me. Turtle Beach and Plantronics are on that list for headsets.

I have also had bad experience with them in terms of customer support for their MMO mouse, and so did a friend. I no longer personally consider Razer mice for purchases.

But it's tech, so I try not to have too long a memory. Otherwise, if my memory is long enough, I can remember just about any company flubbing it up on occasion. There's only a few that have truly embittered me. Turtle Beach and Plantronics are on that list for headsets.
I visited a razer forum and most actually suggests logitech mice and keyboards.

Should have just asked for another. You could still write the negative review.

Why bother? So they could send another keyboard that, if it worked, I'd be in suspense if it'd suddenly quit working?

Is a follow up standard for you?
From a company with a questionable quality control of their own products? Yeah.

I've never gotten a follow up on any replacement for anything I've ever bought.

I'm usually not the type of consumer that buys products of a relatively unknown brand, so I'm not used to getting replacements of anything, and I took a risk on Razer.

And its worth mentioning I went four days without being able to use by computer because it's hard to type in a password without a keyboard. But, I was cool with it, mistakes happen in production, I get it. But when I recieved the 'new' keyboard in the mail and it didn't work whatsoever, it was rage-inducing.

As for this Razer phone, smartphones aren't exactly a narrow-variety product. There's always a new must-buy phone coming out every few weeks.

I just hope next year there will be new one available with a MicroSD card slot, because they're going out of style with manufacturers.

Oh there's only a few that left me embittered as well.

Razer is one of those brands.

And if they have a shitty mice, and keyboards, why bother trusting them with any other significant investment... like a phone?

Smartphones are personal devices, to say the least. Imagine if you're traveling and the screen goes black and you can't turn it back on... its dead. Can't call anyone, can't text anyone, can't go on the web, and since you're traveling you don't know your way around, so you could get lost without navigation.

And even if you get to a AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint store (whatever your carrier is) its not like they'll be able to give you a new phone right there....

...aug, gotta stop typing.... anyway, you get my point.

Oh there's only a few that left me embittered as well.

Razer is one of those brands.

And if they have a shitty mice, and keyboards, why bother trusting them with any other significant investment... like a phone?

Smartphones are personal devices, to say the least. Imagine if you're traveling and the screen goes black and you can't turn it back on... its dead. Can't call anyone, can't text anyone, can't go on the web, and since you're traveling you don't know your way around, so you could get lost without navigation.

And even if you get to a AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint store (whatever your carrier is) its not like they'll be able to give you a new phone right there....

...aug, gotta stop typing.... anyway, you get my point.
I feel ya. Lot of caveats with a company that doesn't make its bones on smartphones. It doubt it gets company priority, and it's not like they have any pull in the infrastructure chain.

Safest bets for a North American are always gonna be an iPhone, Galaxy, or LG flagship.

I visited a razer forum and most actually suggests logitech mice and keyboards.
Logitech products are great, just make sure to buy them on sale. Black Friday is a great time to buy peripherals, Best Buy and Amazon usually have them 1/2 off.

Back