Ravens Flock: "RETURN OF THE OFFENSE" 2019 edition

If they're back in 4/6 weeks, why do they need to IR them? Is it a salary cap thing? They can just not dress.

Not sure. Just speculating. I saw another report that said 6-8 weeks. I think the IR move makes room on the active roster for another back to come up. IDK the details, TBH with you, but depending on ZSmiths' injury, I want ZSmith and Canady both back if ZSmith has to go on IR. But, that's just ideal, Jaylen Hill should be back soon and he's a hot-shot rookie CB that's the same size as Canady so we might not need Canady back. Woodhead is obviously going to be a vital part of the offense if he's healthy. I just WANT all our defensive players all year long, but if I had to sacrifice one or the other, I want ZSmith back and Canady can sit. Hopefully we get all 3 back.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-flacco-20170911-story.html

Preston: Something just doesn't seem right with Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco

-Article title ^^ pretty much agree with that. He had some bad throws and didn't seem comfortable at all. He was fine getting up from hits though. I mean one hit he got fucking crushed, of course he got up slow.. so I'm not as skeptical as this article is, but something DID seem wrong. He was wildly inaccurate on a couple throws, but those were into coverage and the Bengals have a good defense so, IDK what to think. Hopefully the situation resolves itself with some practice. I feel like Joe needs the reps and that'll be all the problem is.

Not sure. Just speculating. I saw another report that said 6-8 weeks. I think the IR move makes room on the active roster for another back to come up. IDK the details, TBH with you, but depending on ZSmiths' injury, I want ZSmith and Canady both back if ZSmith has to go on IR. But, that's just ideal, Jaylen Hill should be back soon and he's a hot-shot rookie CB that's the same size as Canady so we might not need Canady back. Woodhead is obviously going to be a vital part of the offense if he's healthy. I just WANT all our defensive players all year long, but if I had to sacrifice one or the other, I want ZSmith back and Canady can sit. Hopefully we get all 3 back.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-flacco-20170911-story.html

Preston: Something just doesn't seem right with Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco

-Article title ^^ pretty much agree with that. He had some bad throws and didn't seem comfortable at all. He was fine getting up from hits though. I mean one hit he got fucking crushed, of course he got up slow.. so I'm not as skeptical as this article is, but something DID seem wrong. He was wildly inaccurate on a couple throws, but those were into coverage and the Bengals have a good defense so, IDK what to think. Hopefully the situation resolves itself with some practice. I feel like Joe needs the reps and that'll be all the problem is.
Mike Preston is the harshest Ravens critic in the world. Nothing is ever as good as it should be. However, having seen some highlights, Flacco does need to get the rust off.

I forgot about spots on the Practice Squad being effected. That makes sense. Hopefully it's not necessary, but I think I agree with Smith over Canady if a choice has to be made.

YES!!

ZSMITH COULD BE BACK NEXT WEEK!!!

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...us-Smith/68de93e6-6a80-4d6b-b887-f540c4458776

Woodhead:

"Harbaugh confirmed reports that running back Danny Woodhead’s hamstring injury is serious, and will sideline him for at least four weeks.

“Danny looks like it’s going to be a while,” Harbaugh said. “It’s a little unpredictable, but it’s going to be multiple weeks.”"

ZSmith:

"Meanwhile, outside linebacker Za’Darius Smith dodged a bullet. A knee sprain was announced for Smith in Cincinnati, but it “didn’t turn out to be that serious.” Harbaugh cast doubt on whether Smith can play this Sunday against the Cleveland Browns, but said he’ll have a chance for next week in London versus the Jacksonville Jaguars.

That short of a recovery wasn’t expected after Smith was writhing in pain on the field in Cincinnati.

“Man, it was a painful one. On the field, I wanted to give him a leather strap and a shot of whiskey,” Harbaugh joked."

giphy.gif

DJmneYLXcAAfJl_.jpg

Harbaugh said Humphrey (1st rd CB pick) earned more snaps. I really want to see Tim Williams get on the field, but he's 5th on the depth chart so it'll be a while if our guys continue to crush it.

DJocbW7U8AAhB_j.jpg:large

Last edited:
Woodhead to IR, Langford signed from practice squad.

Woodhead to IR, Langford signed from practice squad.

Wow, big move putting Woodhead on IR. Makes me a little nervous, I hope there are no other serious injuries, but with Price and Hill coming back we can go without Canady who is still only a 2nd year player that hasn't even played, just really impressed in practice... but I believe the reporters when they say: "this guy was SUPER impressive in practice," --- but Jaylen Hill dominated practice and the preseason and hopefully he'll be back in a couple weeks.

I think they wanted to give Woodhead the time he needs to get fully healthy for the postseason, so why not just sit him out 8 weeks and try out another back? They were talking about using Michael Campanaro in a similar role as him: catching passes out of the backfield, we'll see.

We'll see how Langford does -- could be good.

per Jamison Hensley on ESPN

"Ravens make a change at their No. 3 running back spot on Saturday. Baltimore promotes Alex Collins from the practice squad and waives Jeremy Langford, who was just signed to the 53-man roster Thursday. Ravens also promote CB Tony McRae from practice squad and place CB Sheldon Price (concussion) on injured reserve."

-No idea about what kind of play Sheldon Price is, but I'm assuming he's done for the year and they still plan to bring back Canady and Woodhead. Interesting moves.

Ravens 24-10 Browns
Season: 2-0

@iwhoopedbatman

What I really liked today: defense looked amazing as far as being ball-hungry, they were ALL OVER the field getting sacks and turnovers, like a couple dropped INTs as well. 5 more turnovers today, 10 in 2 games. Cleveland was able to exploit the zone coverage better than Cinci was, but Hue Jackson is a great offensive mind and they are a divisional opponent who is on the up and up, the browns don't look awful. I feel like the defense will look even better outside the division.

Flacco looked a lot more like Flacco than he did last week and the biggest note for me on offense is how involved Benjamin Watson (TE who was out all last year with a torn achilles) was in this game. He looked great, which we needed badly. He can be really good in this offense now that Pitta is gone, he's gonna get thrown to A LOT. Maclin is clutch, as always.

Perriman had a drop and him and Wallace were pretty much non-factors. Need them to change that, but I also feel like that's a part of the offensive slowly expanding out. Last week they just ran, this week they ran and involved TE's, maybe next week they run, throw to TEs and deep balls.. but the one deep ball Flacco threw, Wallace pulled up on the route and it was basically a punt INT.

I liked the play-calling, the run game was good... Alex Collins is the fastest back we have, he just got called up off the practice squad, but he had a bad fumble, so... that's not good.

Now the REALLY WORRISOME: Marshal Yanda (G) - best o-lineman in the NFL - and Brandon Williams (DT) - arguably best d-lineman in the NFL and our highest paid d-lineman - both out with injuries to their ankle and foot, respectively. Just have to hope they'll be OK.

Overall, very optimistic about the season still, even moreso after this game. These games look and feel like how Ravens football games are supposed to look and feel to me. I'm loving it, TBH. Only nervous about injuries.

Last edited:
omgosh.... AWFUL NEWS

NOT GOOD. AT ALL.

losing Marshal Yanda FOR THE SEASON??? Can't get much worse than that for an injury report. and Bam Bradley was Albert McClellan's replacement (who is also out with an ACL) -- our special teams ace and backup middle linebacker.

2kh9bk.jpg

Last edited:
DJ9EYuJW0AI1744.jpg

Ben Watson tho ^

2nd to gronk is some good ass company. He's gonna be huge for us all season long.

I just can't even believe that Yanda is out for the season. Awful. Thankfully I already know to rely on the defense, but, man, such a big loss.

Need him. Hopefully it's not a long-term injury.

Less enthusiastic with the Marshal Yanda news, but if Brandon Williams is OK then my season expectations aren't changing at all, really, it'll just a bit harder to achieve. If Brandon Williams is out for the season or something, then I might start to feel a little down.

I said at the beginning as long as Jimmy Smith and Flacco were healthy, we're winning the super bowl, but man, the defensive additions have added SO MUCH. Like we are WAY BETTER now in the secondary, but we do need Brandon Williams. If they stay healthy, I'm still calling superbowl.

Don't the injury Gods have anyone else to fuck with?

23e.gif

PFF breakdown:

TOP 5 GRADES:
TE Benjamin Watson, 93.8 overall grade

TE Nick Boyle, 87.2 overall grade

T Austin Howard, 86.9 overall grade

QB Joe Flacco, 82.1 overall grade

CB Brandon Carr, 81.6 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB JOE FLACCO, 82.1 OVERALL GRADE

Flacco looked solid in a gameplan clearly designed to keep things simple for him. He was extremely accurate, finishing the game with an adjusted completion percentage of 83.9 percent. That was largely thanks to 24 of those 31 attempts being less than 10 yards downfield. However he looked solid when he did have to go deep, completing 4-of-7 for 71 yards and a touchdown on passes more than 10 yards downfield. He did have an interception, but that was more a miscommunication between him and his receiver than it was a bad pass.

TE BENJAMIN WATSON, 93.8 OVERALL GRADE
It was a very impressive game from the seemingly ageless TE Ben Watson. His receiving numbers were impressive, catching all eight targets he saw for 91 yards, 40 of which came after the catch. That works out to a 3.96 yards per route run average, a very good number. Many of his catches went for huge first down conversions as he was clearly Flacco’s security blanket. But what was equally impressive was Watson’s run blocking. He was consistently sealing the edge on outside runs and finished the game with an 88.5 run blocking grade.

CB BRANDON CARR, 81.6 OVERALL GRADE
Carr started off the day by finding his way into the hip pocket of Kenny Britt and from there he spent all afternoon making life difficult for Browns’ receivers. Carr was targeted ten times in coverage on Sunday and he allowed just three of those balls to be caught for a total of 37 yards while grabbing an interception and breaking up an additional pass. Browns QBs had just a 2.9 passer rating when targeting Carr on the afternoon.

CB MARLON HUMPHREY, 79.7 OVERALL GRADE
The first round pick from Alabama only played 11 defensive snaps but they were active ones as was targeted three times on the afternoon. He allowed just one of those balls to be caught for a total of just three yards. Humphrey also defended a pass on the day and made two stops.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-baltimore-ravens-24-cleveland-browns-10

*WHEW* on Brandon Williams not being out long-term.

Losing Marshal Yanda is the worst player we could lose, next to Joe Flacco, but the reason I'm not that concerned is because not only is our defense dominating right now, but the rookies are just starting to play, they'll be better by mid-season/end of season (barring injury, of course) and our defense will be THAT much better for it (I'm counting on at least 3: Marlon Humphrey, Tyus Bowser, and Tim Williams... but Jaylen Hill is coming back and maybe Chuck Clark will play some, too. Haven't much about Chris Wormley).

15 players on IR. SMH. Really glad to hear Williams will be back. If he's not close to 100%, don't take him to England.

Good to hear that Jaylen Hill is almost ready to go. This avid Ravens fan likes him better than Lardarius Webb, who is a decent player. The secondary could be getting better with that addition and like I've said: I expect Bowser/Williams/Humphrey to all improve throughout the year. Hill is also a rookie, so we have 4 GREAT rookies on the defense that are all going to improve throughout the season.

I don't think the defense is anywhere near its potential yet.

Also, I think Alex Collins can be HUGE for us because while Allen and West will charge the line over and over again to drain the clock... he has actual speed and quickness and can make people miss. I think he could make our running A LOT more explosive.

Back