Rate the Jurassic Park movies

I feel like a fucking psycho saying this, but JPIII has sort of grown on me.

Always felt like it was what it was- a straightforward, entertaining movie. Which is sort of what Jurassic World is. I certainly don't find the latter substantially better than the former. I see them as sort of in the same range- entertaining movies with good effects that you don't have to think much about.

For me, that series is one outstanding movie and three movies that are varying levels of entertaining but not on anywhere remotely the same level.

The Lost World- I was a big Malcolm fan from the first movie so it was cool seeing Goldblum in the lead. But the film just pales in comparison to the predecessor in every way when it comes to the on-island action. Also, there is a ridiculous Mcguffin scene where Hammond is like, "thank God for site B" as we are just randomly, out of nowhere introduced to the fact that there another island.

The daughter is annoying. Julianne Moore is a good actress but doesn't get to show much of it here. Vaughan is wasted. I liked Postlethwaite and Arliss Howard though- even if the latter was your generic businessman heel to a fault.

The compys killing Stormare was pretty vicious. The t-rex scenes were solid. I like how they kept the raptors at more of a minimum, confining them to one scene rather than making them the stars of the film like the first one. By doing that, they switched it up a bit and made the sequence with them feel high stakes. That said, the gymnast daughter taking out the raptor was fucking mind-bogglingly ludicrous and unintentionally hilarious.

Final scene in Cali with the t-rex was good in my opinion, though a lot of people shit on it.

So yeah that one was entertaining too but not very good or memorable.

JPIII- Sam Neill is a g so it has that going for it. Liked the dynamic with Nivola as well, another underrated actor. Good cast, fun action, not memorable in any way, shape or form though. I could describe for you the set up of the plot but details are an absolute blur.

Jurassic World was certainly entertaining, but it was hokey as well. You can't tell me that that D'Onofrio idea regarding sending raptors in the field to wage war was credible in any way even in a film about dinosaurs in a theme park.

Always felt like it was what it was- a straightforward, entertaining movie. Which is sort of what Jurassic World is. I certainly don't find the latter substantially better than the former. I see them as sort of in the same range- entertaining movies with good effects that you don't have to think much about.

For me, that series is one outstanding movie and three movies that are varying levels of entertaining but not on anywhere remotely the same level.

The Lost World- I was a big Malcolm fan from the first movie so it was cool seeing Goldblum in the lead. But the film just pales in comparison to the predecessor in every way when it comes to the on-island action. Also, there is a ridiculous Mcguffin scene where Hammond is like, "thank God for site B" as we are just randomly, out of nowhere introduced to the fact that there another island.

The daughter is annoying. Julianne Moore is a good actress but doesn't get to show much of it here. Vaughan is wasted. I liked Postlethwaite and Arliss Howard though- even if the latter was your generic businessman heel to a fault.

The compys killing Stormare was pretty vicious. The t-rex scenes were solid. I like how they kept the raptors at more of a minimum, confining them to one scene rather than making them the stars of the film like the first one. By doing that, they switched it up a bit and made the sequence with them feel high stakes. That said, the gymnast daughter taking out the raptor was fucking mind-bogglingly ludicrous and unintentionally hilarious.

Final scene in Cali with the t-rex was good in my opinion, though a lot of people shit on it.

JPIII- Sam Neill is a g so it has that going for it. Liked the dynamic with Nivola as well, another underrated actor. Good cast, fun action, not memorable in any way, shape or form though. I could describe for you the set up of the plot but details are an absolute blur.

Jurassic World was certainly entertaining, but it was hokey as well. You can't tell me that that D'Onofrio idea regarding sending raptors in the field to wage war was credible in any way even in a film about dinosaurs in a theme park.

I agree with your assessment that it's "one outstanding movie and three movies that are varying levels of entertaining."

Jurassic Park, of course, is truly fantastic. I don't have a problem calling it one of the greatest films of all time.

I haven't seen The Lost World in many years so I don't remember the details, but I do remember leaving the theater and being disappointed. The only thing that stands out to me is the Rexy rampage in San Diego. Maybe I'll rewatch it tonight so I can better engage in this discussion.

JP3 I rewatched about a year ago. More than anything my takeaway was this: It's an OK action movie with dinosaurs. Nothing more or less than that. For some, that might be enough, but I can't help but compare it to the first film and say that a Jurassic Park movie really needs to be MORE than just an action movie. It needs a heart, a soul, an intelligence behind it. But like I said, it has grown on me a bit, and I just ordered it on Blu-Ray today so I will revisit it soon.

As for Jurassic World, it was okay. There was a lot there to like, but as you say, everything about D'Onofrio's character was stupid. In fact, everything about training raptors at all was stupid.

1. Jurassic Park

2. Jurassic world? (i havent seen it, but guessing its 2nd best)

3. Jurassic Park 2 (one of spielbergs worst movies)

4. Jurassic Park 3 (Holy shit this movie sucked)

I agree with your order. 2 and 3 were pretty damn disappointing. Jurassic World had its moments, but it lacked the charm of the original.

JP3 I rewatched about a year ago. More than anything my takeaway was this: It's an OK action movie with dinosaurs. Nothing more or less than that.

I just found it to be poorly conceived and too much in a rush to get where it wanted to be. The acting was sub par. When they first get to the island and Tea Leoni is screaming her head off. I know she was supposed to be annoying, but it was just so over the top bad.

I just found it to be poorly conceived and too much in a rush to get where it wanted to be. The acting was sub par. When they first get to the island and Tea Leoni is screaming her head off. I know she was supposed to be annoying, but it was just so over the top bad.

Not to mention the movie was like 20 minutes long.

Say whaaaaaaat?!

It's definitely a classic. It's one of the best films ever made.

Its a very entertaining action/thriller but again I honestly say I don't find it exceptional on the level of the greatest blockbuster films like say Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, Lord of the Rings, the Terminator films etc.

Its a very entertaining action/thriller but again I honestly say I don't find it exceptional on the level of the greatest blockbuster films like say Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, Lord of the Rings, the Terminator films etc.

Of that list, if I had to choose then I'd take JP over Empire or either of the Terminator movies. Empire I could do without anyway honestly. T1 and T2 are both excellent but I have found JP to be more rewatchable. I think it's because that film simply has so much HEART and heart goes a hell of a long way with me.

In fact, that's actually where I feel like JP 2 and 3 really fall short: They lack heart. And they lack the sense of WONDER that the first film aroused within the audience.

The Jurassic Park franchise is not just supposed to be action-horror films with humans fighting dinos. There's supposed to be more to it than that.

Same order as released...

1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 >>>>>>>> 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4

4 is Jurrasic park meets idiocracy.

I's so fucking bad it's insulting.

Ain't that the truth. And although I can't stand this new SJW Star Wars era, I couldn't be happier that Trevvorrow is gone. The dude is the ultimate hack.

Last edited:
Jurassic Park - 10/10 - Stands alone as an untouched masterpiece

The Lost World - 4.5/10 - One of Spielberg's worst movies

JPIII - 3.5/10 - Utter dogshit, though the idea of the Spino was cool. Has potential. I hope for future movies they bring him back.

Jurassic World - xxx 0/10 xxx - Absolute trash of the lowest level. A complete cinematic abortion with zero redeeming qualities. A movie so bad it makes JPIII seem somewhat watchable by comparison.

Of that list, if I had to choose then I'd take JP over Empire or either of the Terminator movies. Empire I could do without anyway honestly. T1 and T2 are both excellent but I have found JP to be more rewatchable. I think it's because that film simply has so much HEART and heart goes a hell of a long way with me.

In fact, that's actually where I feel like JP 2 and 3 really fall short: They lack heart. And they lack the sense of WONDER that the first film aroused within the audience.

The Jurassic Park franchise is not just supposed to be action-horror films with humans fighting dinos. There's supposed to be more to it than that.

Again were talking degrees of how much we enjoy a film we both rate highly, no question from me its excellent cinema I can understand others loving that much.

I think the key issue with the sequels is that "thriller" label I used, the original is character wise a pretty down to earth film where as the sequels(especially Jurassic World) have looked to operate more as larger than life action blockbusters. That does probably play into the "wonder" aspect of the originals as its much easier to experience that though very realistic characters.

http://jurassicparkwtf.ytmnd.com/ - NSFW

The original was awesome when it first came out. I went back and watched it recently and it's not held up that great. Some of the scenes were really fucking stupid mostly the ones with Wayne Knight. I'd say I actually like Jurassic World more (even though private Pile trying to weaponize Raptors was dumb).

Dennis-Nedry.jpg

Jurassic Park - 10/10 - Stands alone as an untouched masterpiece

The Lost World - 4.5/10 - One of Spielberg's worst movies

JPIII - 3.5/10 - Utter dogshit, though the idea of the Spino was cool. Has potential. I hope for future movies they bring him back.

Jurassic World - xxx 0/10 xxx - Absolute trash of the lowest level. A complete cinematic abortion with zero redeeming qualities. A movie so bad it makes JPIII seem somewhat watchable by comparison.

I think you and I are on the same page here.

I think the key issue with the sequels is that "thriller" label I used, the original is character wise a pretty down to earth film where as the sequels(especially Jurassic World) have looked to operate more as larger than life action blockbusters. That does probably play into the "wonder" aspect of the originals as its much easier to experience that though very realistic characters.

I think the characters definitely have something to do with the aforementioned "heart" of the story. After all, the characters in the first JP film are all sympathetic and well-drawn. We like them. We care for them and root for them.

Regarding the sense of wonder, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that 1) it was the first time we had seen dinos on screen like that, and 2) the fact that the film spends some time on dino interactions with the characters that weren't terrifying. There are times where we get to just hang out with the dinos and that's cool.

Spielberg said himself that with the first film he wanted to make something that was more than just a monster movie. There's a lot about that film that makes us feel like we're being taken on a grand, fun adventure, and that factor is completely lacking in all of the other films aside from a little bit of Jurassic World.

Unfortunately, Jurassic World could've done what little bit it did in that regard a lot better.

That's funny.

Who cares. When you saw this

7LewYS.gif

as a ten year old nothing else will ever compare.

Jurassic Park is GOAT status

You got a problem with gymkata vs dinosaurs?

Always thought 3 was better than 2 to be honest.

I never understood the spite that Jurassic Park 2 gets. It's almost like I need to watch it with someone who points out to me how much it sucks as we're watching it.

2. Jurassic World/Lost World. - Both were entertaining but had some stupid shit in it. I'd give both around a 6 I suppose. I used to think LW was better, but after rewatching it recently the stupid shit was actually more stupid than I remember.

second one kinda sucked but cant say much about it because I only seen it once and dont recall much

I liked almost all the dino action sequences in the Lost World, but everything else sucked. The characters were annoying and unlikeable, specially the girl. And the gymnastics sequence with the velrociraptor is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Lost World is severely underrated, the T-Rex in the city is possibly the best scene in the whole series.

ALWAYS preferred it over JP 2.

All right homeboys I decided to revisit The Lost World last night.

Allow me to set the stage a bit:

I remember going to see this one in the theater. I was, I guess, 15 at the time and living in Memphis. My brother and I went to see it at this newly-opened mall and I think this may have even been my first time going to a theater with stadium seating.

Coming out of the theater, I remember at the time thinking it was a good movie but not being in love with it. That is, I thought it was fun enough, but I didn't feel like I had watched a truly great movie. In the years since, my opinion became more negative, but last night I realized that it had been so long since I last saw the film that I remembered almost nothing about it.

Having now revisited it, I can say that it's certainly nowhere near the level of the first film. Not even close. One thing the first film really had going for it was a heart and intelligence to it. I read a comment from Spielberg where he said that when he made JP he didn't just want to make a monster movie. And in that he succeeded, as JP is so much more than that.

But a monster movie is exactly what The Lost World is. It's not much more than pure action from start to finish. Sure, there's a bit of set up to get everyone onto the island, but the shit hits the fan about 30 minutes in and doesn't stop until the credits start rolling.

But let me break it down:

The Positives

- The performances and characters are generally pretty good, with Julianne Moore and Jeff Goldblum playing their roles well. There were some good supporting performances also, with Pete Postlethwaite doing well as the hunter, Peter Stormare as his second in command, and even Vince Vaughn as the animal rights activist.

- The effects are excellent. This is one area in which the second film surpasses the first. If you go back and watch the first, some of the CGI looks just a tiny bit sketchy. But all of the effects in the second film are virtually flawless. In fact, what's amazing is that the effects in this film are better than most of what we see in movies today, 20 years later.

- There are some nice set pieces throughout. Even though the film is almost nothing but action, to its discredit, I do think that the action is good. Some have mentioned not liking the ending with Rexy in San Diego. I actually liked that part. In fact, I wish the film had expanded that sequence and given us a little less of the goings on on the island.

The Negatives

- Almost nothing but action. We covered this already.

- It's too dark. Like, literally dark. So much of the film takes place at night that it's just kind of gloomy and depressing. I've never wanted a JP movie to be gloomy and depressing.

- No Sam Neill.

- No real sense of wonder, as created by the first film.

All in all, I think it's a PRETTY GOOD dino action movie, but nothing more than that. It has one goal: Put dinos on screen and put humans on screen to run away from them. That's it. And while this is enough to make a fairly entertaining popcorn thriller, it takes a lot more than that to make a great film.

6.5/10

If anyone wants a plot refresher or wants to learn some cool stuff about the production, here's a good video:

Last edited by a moderator:

I remember going to see this one in the theater. I was, I guess, 15 at the time and living in Memphis. My brother and I went to see it at this newly-opened mall and I think this may have even been my first time going to a theater with stadium seating.

Coming out of the theater, I remember at the time thinking it was a good movie but not being in love with it. That is, I thought it was fun enough, but I didn't feel like I had watched a truly great movie. In the years since, my opinion became more negative, but last night I realized that it had been so long since I last saw the film that I remembered almost nothing about it.

Having now revisited it, I can say that it's certainly nowhere near the level of the first film. Not even close. One thing the first film really had going for it was a heart and intelligence to it. I read a comment from Spielberg where he said that when he made JP he didn't just want to make a monster movie. And in that he succeeded, as JP is so much more than that.

But a monster movie is exactly what The Lost World is. It's not much more than pure action from start to finish. Sure, there's a bit of set up to get everyone onto the island, but the shit hits the fan about 30 minutes in and doesn't stop until the credits start rolling.

The Positives

- The performances and characters are generally pretty good, with Julianne Moore and Jeff Goldblum playing their roles well. There were some good supporting performances also, with Pete Postlethwaite doing well as the hunter, Peter Stormare as his second in command, and even Vince Vaughn as the animal rights activist.

- The effects are excellent. This is one area in which the second film surpasses the first. If you go back and watch the first, some of the CGI looks just a tiny bit sketchy. But all of the effects in the second film are virtually flawless. In fact, what's amazing is that the effects in this film are better than most of what we see in movies today, 20 years later.

- There are some nice set pieces throughout. Even though the film is almost nothing but action, to its discredit, I do think that the action is good. You mentioned the ending with Rexy in San Diego. I actually liked that part. In fact, I wish the film had expanded that sequence and given us a little less of the goings on on the island.

The Negatives

- It's too dark. Like, literally dark. So much of the film takes place at night that it's just kind of gloomy and depressing. I've never wanted a JP movie to be gloomy and depressing.

- No Sam Neill.

All in all, I think it's a PRETTY GOOD dino action movie, but nothing more than that. It has one goal: Put dinos on screen and put humans on screen to run away from them. That's it. And while this is enough to make a fairly entertaining popcorn thriller, it takes a lot more than that to make a great film.

6.5/10

If anyone wants a plot refresher or wants to learn some cool stuff about the production, here's a good video:

All I said was that it had the best scene in any Jurassic Park movie.

I had it ranked behind Jurassic Park and Jurassic World.

The Positives

- There are some nice set pieces throughout. Even though the film is almost nothing but action, to its discredit, I do think that the action is good. You mentioned the ending with Rexy in San Diego. I actually liked that part. In fact, I wish the film had expanded that sequence and given us a little less of the goings on on the island.

The Negatives

- No Sam Neill.

6.5/10

If I remember correctly they gradually increased the amount of cg supporting the puppets throughout the series. JP did a really good job of blending the cg with the animatronics, but there is only about 5 minutes of cg in the first film. Sometimes you can tell its a puppet. It was revolutionary for its time so you can't really fault that, but that is 1 area they improved on through the 3 films.

If I remember correctly they gradually increased the amount of cg supporting the puppets throughout the series. JP did a really good job of blending the cg with the animatronics, but there is only about 5 minutes of cg in the first film. Sometimes you can tell its a puppet. It was revolutionary for its time so you can't really fault that, but that is 1 area they improved on through the 3 films.

Yeah, the amount of CG definitely increases.

In The Lost World, they use CG for the wide shots, animatronics for the close-ups. And it works really well.

I think on an FX level this film can stand up against anything we see today.

Back