Rate The Card: UFC Fight Night 138 Volkan vs. Smith (New Brunswick, Canada)

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
UFC Fight Night 138: Volkan vs. Smith (Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada)

FS1 Main Card:

Volkan Oezdemir vs. Anthony Smith
Misha Cirkunov vs. Patrick Cummins
Artem Lobov vs. Zubaira Tukhugov
Gian Villante vs. Ed Herman
Nordine Taleb vs. Sean Strickland
Calvin Kattar vs. Chris Fishgold

FS1 Prelims:

Alex Garcia vs. Court McGee
Nasrat Haqparast vs. Thibault Gouti
Gavin Tucker vs. Andre Soukhamthath
Arjan Bhullar vs. Marcello Golm

Fight Pass Prelims:

Te'Jovan Edwards vs. Don Madge
Stevie Ray vs. Jessin Ayari
Sarah Moras vs. Talita Bernardo

With 13 official fights, it seems The UFC's first trip to Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada is all set. Please keep in mind that the bout order for this event has not yet been set and the order above is purely for the sake of the thread. With that being said, what do you guys think of this card? Very, very meh with an action packed Main Event imo. No other fight really stands out. I'm sure they'll be some interesting ones like Kattar/Fishgold, Taleb/Strickland and Haqparast/Gouti but I don't know man, this card is not really doing it for me. I was expecting a bit better but maybe they're saving some of the Canadian talent and/or guys they like to send to Canada for UFC 231 in Toronto. Rating this card, I give it a 4.5-5/10. What do you guys think?

Artem Lobov and Gian Villante are on the main-card.
Really don't dig this card. Main-event is fine.

1,5/10

Last edited:
that's not too bad for a free card IMO. esp one going to new brunswick. fair bit of talent on there.

Solid 6/10. Main event is really good, but Artem bumps it up a bit more because it's always funny watching him fight.

Artem.PNG

Giving a ranking from 1-10 and a description for a few:

Volkan Oezdemir vs. Anthony Smith - 7/10 - Great Striking Match/Tests Anthony Smith
Misha Cirkunov vs. Patrick Cummins - 6/10 - Any LHW fight these days is good to add to the stock of the division
Artem Lobov vs. Zubaira Tukhugov - 5/10 - Artem Lobov does not deserve to be on the UFC Roster
Gian Villante vs. Ed Herman - 6/10
Nordine Taleb vs. Sean Strickland - 6/10
Calvin Kattar vs. Chris Fishgold - 7/10 - Kattar may be a true contender if he learns from his previous loss

FS1 Prelims:

Alex Garcia vs. Court McGee - 6/10
Nasrat Haqparast vs. Thibault Gouti 5/10
Gavin Tucker vs. Andre Soukhamthath 4/10
Arjan Bhullar vs. Marcello Golm 4/10

Averaging the entire rankings based off of my criteria:
5.6/10

5/10

The Volkan Oezdemir vs. Anthony Smith fight is great. Artem on the card is cool just for the gifs we'll get out of the fight. Looking forward to seeing Kattar rebound after his first UFC loss. And Stevie Ray fights are fun and I'm glad it's early on the card.

Free card with lots of bangers. 7/10. Will be enjoyable.

Solid 6/10. Main event is really good, but Artem bumps it up a bit more because it's always funny watching him fight.

View attachment 438371

View attachment 438371
71vB-P%2BcmjL._SX425_.jpg

no wmma! on FS1 prelims or main card. Ill watch Free card with no wasted space on pitter patter pink punches... 9/10

10/10 because of Lord Artem

Artem GOATov

Pretty bad to be honest, not a single fight on the entire card that I'm really interested in watching, nothing even close to a must see. Yes Oezdemir vs Smith is a fight that makes sense and is most likely worth watching, I could accept it as the main event if the other fights on the main card were also interesting. Cirkunov vs Cummins and Taleb vs Strickland make sense and might turn out to be good as well, but those are typical prelim fights. Having one of them on the main card would be totally fine, but that should be the weakest fight on the it, not the strongest one. Also, what is Artem Lobov doing on the main card? I know he's become quite the iconic figure in the MMA community, as a running gag rather than as a fighter, but a main card slot? Come on, not under these circumstances at least...
I wouldn't pay money for that card, it's just badly lacks quality and star power, even for a fight night.

As always, everyone commenting on bout order needs to read the part at the end of the OP

<mma3>

I'm always supporting Ed Herman. I can't believe he's still with the UFC - pretty crazy. The main event will be a fun one, almost undoubtedly. More excited for this than some PPVs, actually.

Giving a ranking from 1-10 and a description for a few:

Volkan Oezdemir vs. Anthony Smith - 7/10 - Great Striking Match/Tests Anthony Smith
Misha Cirkunov vs. Patrick Cummins - 6/10 - Any LHW fight these days is good to add to the stock of the division
Artem Lobov vs. Zubaira Tukhugov - 5/10 - Artem Lobov does not deserve to be on the UFC Roster
Gian Villante vs. Ed Herman - 6/10
Nordine Taleb vs. Sean Strickland - 6/10
Calvin Kattar vs. Chris Fishgold - 7/10 - Kattar may be a true contender if he learns from his previous loss

FS1 Prelims:

Alex Garcia vs. Court McGee - 6/10
Nasrat Haqparast vs. Thibault Gouti 5/10
Gavin Tucker vs. Andre Soukhamthath 4/10
Arjan Bhullar vs. Marcello Golm 4/10

Averaging the entire rankings based off of my criteria:
5.6/10

I like your ranks except for Villante/Herman
Both guys have been in some snoozers, I don't have high expectations on that fight

1/10

Other than the main event, Katter is the only fighter worth watching

Can't wait to see Kelvin Gastelum's twin brother stand and bang again

Card is pretty bad outside of Smith-Volkan.

Back