Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I'm missign something ere, but what show we talking about?

We were talking about the 70s cop show Barretta. It starred Robert Blake, a very short man, and one episode had Paul Williams, an even shorter man and something of a 70s cult icon, as a guest star.

The picture I posted was from Phantom of the Paradise, a strange 70s interpretation of Phantom of the Opera, starring Williams.

We were talking about the 70s cop show Barretta. It starred Robert Blake, a very short man, and one episode had Paul Williams, an even shorter man and something of a 70s cult icon, as a guest star.

The picture I posted was from Phantom of the Paradise, a strange 70s interpretation of Phantom of the Opera, starring Williams.

thanks bro. That dude iced his wife, no?

Drive - 7.5/10

giphy.gif

logan lucky 7.5
started off so cliche, and i didnt buy the fake hick accents
but it got good

The Hitman's Bodyguard 5/10
If you've heard a Sam you well Jackson movie before, then you heard this one. I think the screenwriter grabbed a bag with all of Sammy's one-liners from every movie he's ever been in, shook it up and put them in order as they grab out of the bag; all the while adding "motherfucker" onto every other line of dialogue. Ryan Reynolds was neither likable or unlikable. Salma Hayek still and will always be able to "get it"

Hacksaw Ridge 7.5/10
Though it was a true story, the beginning was cheesy as all get out, but when they got to war... aww shucks was it a good flick. Say what you want about Mel Gibson, but the son of a bitch knows story structure.

1278096610mel.big.jpg

Terminator Genysys (revisited)

6.5/10

God dammit, inserting images is difficult from a phone.

1st time i watched this, i thought it was fun. 2nd time, same thing. Until they go back to 2017. Then it shows its cheesy, too colorful side.

The beginning has your future war and it looks great. Its in a snapshot, as usual, so its too clean. However, because its short, it's good.

Then we have the copied time travel. Now, i actually enjoyed this. Arnold vs arnold and a T 1000? Whats not to love? Cant remember why the T1000 is there, but in my opinion, who needs more that the 2?

Past the t1000, the movie just gets teenagery. Just a bunch one liner comedy, dull acting, and a shit plot.

Detroit: A lovely and inspiring true story about America's auto industry 8/10

Really it's a Jimmy rustler. Still an 8/10 and it resonates for a while.

The Accountant - 5/10 - Turned out to be a huge bore. Some interesting parts throughout but as a whole was extremely forgettable.

Alien: Convenient-Just dumb. everything everyone did was dumb. Who would step onto an alien world not wearing any kind of space suit or anything like that. Literally the first few people died because they breathed in spores. Who breathes in spores on an alien world. Dumb asses. Then the last scene came from about 20 miles away. no mr robot who looks exactly like the robot who tried to kill everyone you may not put me to sleep, you will be deactivated before we go into cryostasis.

August 25, 2017

Dragonlord's Review of Netflix's DEATH NOTE
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Adam Wingard's visually striking adaptation squanders an intriguing premise and a promising start with a poorly executed second half.

Cq6az8R.jpg

Based on the popular Japanese manga-anime series, Death Note tells the story of Light Turner (Nat Wolff) who discovers the "Death Note," a supernatural notebook with the power to kill anyone if his/her name is written down and the victim's face is known. With the assistance of his girlfriend Mia (Margaret Qualley), Light murders 400 criminals and evil doers around the world, but draws the attention of international super sleuth "L" (Lakeith Stanfield) who is determined to stop Light's reign of terror.

I have seen a dozen episodes of the Death Note anime series in the past but don't really remember much of what happened nor do I object to the idea of a Hollywood adaptation. So what I'm saying is I'm judging this 2017 version mostly on its own merits and not for whatever changes it takes from the source material.

The intriguing premise translates well here and the first half of the film is absorbingly entertaining. Unfortunately some of the logic doesn't hold up under close scrutiny and the quality control is poorly executed in the third act resulting in what was once a strong promise of a cat-and-mouse chess game turning into a middling cat-versus-dog donnybrook including an extended foot chase scene near the end that didn't really amount to anything. It's a shame because the potential for the cerebral and strategic warfare between L and Light was wasted.

Director Adam Wingard dazzles this U.S. remake with some captivating visual imagery as well with his usage of vibrant colors and interesting camera angles. Clocking at a brisk 100 minute, the pacing is a bit rushed and could have used an additional 10-15 minutes to better set up some pieces. There's a Final Destination and The Happening vibe when the kills are shown.

WGE0Skc.jpg

Nat Wolff was pretty good as Light and I liked that they gave him a more humane side with a conscience unlike his sociopathic anime counterpart. Before he becomes unhinged later on, I really enjoyed Lakeith Stanfield's performance as well as his peculiar physical mannerisms for the character. But for a guy as super-smart as L, he's conveniently clueless at times and makes a few crucial dumb decisions (see spoiler box). At times, the film does an inadequate job of providing a satisfying explanation on how L comes up with his hypothesis and conclusion.

Willem Dafoe was born to play Ryuk, a death god who created the Death Note. The actor's voice is perfectly suited for Ryuk (even though you can't help but draw similarities to his Green Goblin voice in Spider-Man). Unfortunately, they went with the motion-capture performance route which was a mistake as the CGI effects for Ryuk looked shoddy at times (Ryuk looked so goofy when he sat on L's bed early on). But more importantly, Dafoe in a prosthetic make-up in costume would have killed it. Hell, you don't even have to put make-up on Mr. Dafoe.

As blasphemous as they may sound, I think the film would flow smoother without the presence of Ryuk. The notebook already contained the rules and Mia was already there as a springboard for Light as well as a source for conflict. Nothing in the film (as it is) will drastically change if Ryuk was removed.

The soundtrack was excellent especially the stimulating synthwave music. But a big no-no to the film's intended ironic use of Chicago's "I Don't Want to Live Without Your Love" and Air Supply's "The Power of Love" at the end. Even Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" was kinda iffy.

Overall, Death Note is an entertaining and stylish adaptation but rushed and poorly executed midway. If you're an avid fan of the anime version, you'll probably have a more negative reception to this U.S. remake.

Rating: 6.5/10

5xJU4xf.jpg

I commend them on giving Light Turner a conscience with his hesitation to kill law enforcement agents and making sure he doesn't accidentally kill innocent people. But what's bugging me is the scene in Japan where gang members were found dead in a club because among the corpses were strippers and probably the rest of the staff which didn't deserve to die.

L deduced that Kira was in Seattle because he specifically leaked info to the Seattle police department that only they would know. But if L was written properly, he would have figured out early on that Light was Kira if he bothered to backtrack recent bizarre deaths in the city and what was the common denominator.

Unless there's a Rule that was not shown, Light could have easily killed L without even having to know his real identity. All Light has to do is write down the names of criminals to try and assassinate L before they die. Or if Light doesn't have a conscience, he could write down the names of the cops and Watari to kill L.

L is shown to cover his nose and mouth with a bandana whenever he's out in the public. But when he meets Light, he foolishly lets him see his face. I understand L doesn't know the existence of the Death Note and how it works. But still, revealing your face was a needless and unnecessary move. There was nothing to be gained from it. If L wanted to shook Light up and scare him into making a mistake, he was already doing it with his face covered.

TcRXLZu.jpg

When L came to the conclusion that Light was Kira, he could have bugged Light's house with cameras and listening devices. This was the most logical decision that was not applied in the film.

When Watari vanished, L barged in to Light's house and announces his intention to search the house, he should have secured the girlfriend also. I guess I can chalk it up to L being too emotional and lack of sleep for his excuse of not thinking clearly.

They did a poor job of hiding the fact that Mia was the evil mastermind behind the death of the FBI agents. It was so obvious from the start that they fumbled with this plot twist when it was revealed later on.

When L apprehended Light on the street, he unnecessary told a bystander that Light was Kira. It was so forced. L could have just said he's with the police and that's it.

I kinda figured out (or had an idea) how Light would get out of his death mark situation with Mia. But I still enjoyed how he managed to pull it off and how the whole thing came together.

The Accountant - 5/10 - Turned out to be a huge bore. Some interesting parts throughout but as a whole was extremely forgettable.
Why is Anna Kendrick always falling for shit men?

It's a total B-movie, except with a stunning cast. It's so uneven that it feels like it should have been a tv show. But I agree it has some moments. I hear they're thinking about a sequel, which is okay, but honestly it's a bad concept. Autistic killer isn't a fantasy you should root for; the inherent nature of the character is the only way he can relate to people is by killing them ... but he's got this reason? So what happens is you buy into the fantasy, which gets undercut with the reality moral about autism, creating a movie at odds with itself. Disparate.

It's a lot like MR. BROOKS, and I guess AMERICAN PSYCHO, except PSYCHO gels together pretty well.

John Wick 2
Enjoyed it. Didn't love the first one as much as some people but I liked it, last night I was in the mood for some mindless all-out action, and it delivered.
7/10

Passengers - 6/10

Overall a decent movie that I found to be enjoyable. Not something I need to own but I'm glad I saw it. It reminded me a lot of Alien Isolation, in a way, which was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back