Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wall. Absolutely shit ending. Straight ruins the movie. Good performanxe by Aaron-Taylor Johnson and Cena though.

room in rome

the movie was a bit boring but the lesbian sex was entertaining I just fast forwarded to the sex scenes

Dragonlord's Review of BABY DRIVER (No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: One of the best action films of the year, Edgar Wright's stylish music-driven crime thriller is high-octane rush.

IoQSaEJ.jpg

If you mix in The Driver, Heat and La La Land and add Edgar Wright's snappy, energetic style of filmmaking, you might get something like Baby Driver, one of the best original (not a sequel or superhero) action movies of the year.

The film revolves around Baby (Ansel Elgort), a skillful getaway driver who suffers from Tinnitus and constantly listens to music on his earphones to drown out the noise in his ears. After repaying his debt to crime boss, Doc (Kevin Spacey), Baby is forced to do another bank heist with a bunch of violently unstable crew that puts him and everyone he cares for in danger.

The film starts off with a crackerjack car chase sequence as we see Baby deftly weaving through any obstacles on the road and outmaneuvering his pursuers. All the car chase scenes in the movie are as exhilarating as they are impressive with their use of practical effects and excellent stuntwork.

Music plays a big part in the movie, not just in the way Wright synchs the action with the beats of the songs, but even the characters themselves are talking about the tunes. The eclectic soundtrack, comprising mostly of punk rock, classic rock, soul, R&B, jazz, give the film a retro style. But their use of Bob & Earl’s “Harlem Shuffle” is so goddamn tantalizing because the opening fanfare [1] makes me wish it was House of Pain’s “Jump Around” instead.

0aIe8MU.jpg

When they first announced Elgort as the main lead, I thought it was a mistake as he looked too dorky from the few movies I've seen him in previously. After watching Driver, the young thespian still looks awkward but it works for him as it fits his socially inept character. Baby is exceptionally good-natured, which makes him easily likable, and his mad driving skills gives him an aura of coolness. Add in the fact that Ansel is a talented singer, dancer and DJ in real life which just makes him the perfect actor for the role.

Debora, played by the gorgeous Lily James (mine!), is Baby’s love interest and although their courtship is brief, Wright stages it so deftly that makes it somehow believable that the two would be willing to run away together or risk their lives for each other. The beautiful Debora is so disarmingly charming and congenially sweet that the only far-fetched part is how come there isn’t a drove of suitors lining up to woo her.

The film’s rogues gallery is another integral element that makes this American crime caper so gratifying to watch. Bats (wonderfully played by Jamie Foxx) is the most dangerous among Baby’s crew. He is volatile and lacks impulse control. There’s a foreboding sense of danger very time Bats is on screen.

JZgHiYl.jpg

Buddy (Jon Hamm) is a former Wall Street trader turned sociopathic bank robber. There’s an endearing big brother relationship he has with Baby early on which is why it’s unfortunate that things turned out the way they did later on. Jon’s performance also validates what I said months ago [2] that he would be great as Cable.

Rounding up the rest of the memorable outlaws are Darling (hottie Eiza Gonzalez - mine also!), the sexy wild child wife of Buddy; Griff (Jon Bernthal), a brash thug who constantly torments Baby; and Doc (the always superb Kevin Spacey), the criminal mastermind of this gang of thieves.

Baby Driver proves once again why Edgar Wright is one of the most underrated action directors working today. If this is still playing at your local cinemas, go check it out. We need to support more films like this.

Rating: 8.5/10

3cbF0Y3.png

The following are just my musings on the film and they do not negatively or drastically affect my opinion on the quality of the movie.

For a guy who is supposed to be meticulous and extra cautious, Doc (Kevin Spacey) makes a few questionable decisions like staying in the same location waiting for his crew to show up. What if they were followed? Or what if they were caught and ratted him out.

Another dubious scheme of Doc is his flimsy getaway plan involving parking lot buildings but no concrete method to implement them except for just gambling on Baby’s expert driving skills to deliver them to their destination.

But the biggest head-scratcher is Doc constantly hiring an unstable psychopath like Bats (Jamie Foxx) who has anger and impulse control issues and kills almost everybody he meets or can’t resist to physically assault a store employees which all results in drawing a lot of heat on him/them from law enforcement.

Doc changing his mind and wanting to help Baby and Debora seemed out of the blue. They should have set it up better to make it more convincing.

eeDfi0E.png

I really wanted Buddy (Jon Hamm) and Bats to trade places as the Terminator-type antagonist chasing Baby in the third act. I really liked Buddy for the first two-thirds of the movie and that’s why it’s so unfortunate to have him become the villain in the end.

The ending was a refreshing change of pace as Baby didn’t get away scot-free and actually spent years in prison. Thankful also Baby and Debora didn’t go out in a blaze of glory at the end, that would have been a total downer.

Love that one-take shot sequence early in the movie where Baby goes out to get coffee.

Doc's kid nephew was so cute and funny. If there's a sequel, I'd like to see that kid again, probably in his teens by then and being the new crime boss.

After watching the movie, I’ve looked at YouTube clips of Ansel Elgort (alongside Jamie Foxx) promoting Baby Driver in talk shows and radio shows. He is a pretty cool dude and multi-talented. Didn’t really like the guy before this, but now I’m a fan of the actor.

The Bank Job

I like this movie,but i feel there's just something missing from it,keeping it from being GREAT instead of merely good. Something in the writing or direction,and not so much the actors,who all do what they need to do.

7/10

Dragonlord's Review of BABY DRIVER (No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: One of the best action films of the year, Edgar Wright's stylish music-driven crime thriller is high-octane rush.

IoQSaEJ.jpg

If you mix in The Driver, Heat and La La Land and add Edgar Wright's snappy, energetic style of filmmaking, you might get something like Baby Driver, one of the best original (not a sequel or superhero) action movies of the year.

The film revolves around Baby (Ansel Elgort), a skillful getaway driver who suffers from Tinnitus and constantly listens to music on his earphones to drown out the noise in his ears. After repaying his debt to crime boss, Doc (Kevin Spacey), Baby is forced to do another bank heist with a bunch of violently unstable crew that puts him and everyone he cares for in danger.

The film starts off with a crackerjack car chase sequence as we see Baby deftly weaving through any obstacles on the road and outmaneuvering his pursuers. All the car chase scenes in the movie are as exhilarating as they are impressive with their use of practical effects and excellent stuntwork.

Music plays a big part in the movie, not just in the way Wright synchs the action with the beats of the songs, but even the characters themselves are talking about the tunes. The eclectic soundtrack, comprising mostly of punk rock, classic rock, soul, R&B, jazz, give the film a retro style. But their use of Bob & Earl’s “Harlem Shuffle” is so goddamn tantalizing because the opening fanfare [1] makes me wish it was House of Pain’s “Jump Around” instead.

0aIe8MU.jpg

When they first announced Elgort as the main lead, I thought it was a mistake as he looked too dorky from the few movies I've seen him in previously. After watching Driver, the young thespian still looks awkward but it works for him as it fits his socially inept character. Baby is exceptionally good-natured, which makes him easily likable, and his mad driving skills gives him an aura of coolness. Add in the fact that Ansel is a talented singer, dancer and DJ in real life which just makes him the perfect actor for the role.

Debora, played by the gorgeous Lily James (mine!), is Baby’s love interest and although their courtship is brief, Wright stages it so deftly that makes it somehow believable that the two would be willing to run away together or risk their lives for each other. The beautiful Debora is so disarmingly charming and congenially sweet that the only far-fetched part is how come there isn’t a drove of suitors lining up to woo her.

The film’s rogues gallery is another integral element that makes this American crime caper so gratifying to watch. Bats (wonderfully played by Jamie Foxx) is the most dangerous among Baby’s crew. He is volatile and lacks impulse control. There’s a foreboding sense of danger very time Bats is on screen.

JZgHiYl.jpg

Buddy (Jon Hamm) is a former Wall Street trader turned sociopathic bank robber. There’s an endearing big brother relationship he has with Baby early on which is why it’s unfortunate that things turned out the way they did later on. Jon’s performance also validates what I said months ago [2] that he would be great as Cable.

Rounding up the rest of the memorable outlaws are Darling (hottie Eiza Gonzalez - mine also!), the sexy wild child wife of Buddy; Griff (Jon Bernthal), a brash thug who constantly torments Baby; and Doc (the always superb Kevin Spacey), the criminal mastermind of this gang of thieves.

Baby Driver proves once again why Edgar Wright is one of the most underrated action directors working today. If this is still playing at your local cinemas, go check it out. We need to support more films like this.

Rating: 8.5/10

3cbF0Y3.png

The following are just my musings on the film and they do not negatively or drastically affect my opinion on the quality of the movie.

For a guy who is supposed to be meticulous and extra cautious, Doc (Kevin Spacey) makes a few questionable decisions like staying in the same location waiting for his crew to show up. What if they were followed? Or what if they were caught and ratted him out.

Another dubious scheme of Doc is his flimsy getaway plan involving parking lot buildings but no concrete method to implement them except for just gambling on Baby’s expert driving skills to deliver them to their destination.

But the biggest head-scratcher is Doc constantly hiring an unstable psychopath like Bats (Jamie Foxx) who has anger and impulse control issues and kills almost everybody he meets or can’t resist to physically assault a store employees which all results in drawing a lot of heat on him/them from law enforcement.

Doc changing his mind and wanting to help Baby and Debora seemed out of the blue. They should have set it up better to make it more convincing.

eeDfi0E.png

I really wanted Buddy (Jon Hamm) and Bats to trade places as the Terminator-type antagonist chasing Baby in the third act. I really liked Buddy for the first two-thirds of the movie and that’s why it’s so unfortunate to have him become the villain in the end.

The ending was a refreshing change of pace as Baby didn’t get away scot-free and actually spent years in prison. Thankful also Baby and Debora didn’t go out in a blaze of glory at the end, that would have been a total downer.

Love that one-take shot sequence early in the movie where Baby goes out to get coffee.

Doc's kid nephew was so cute and funny. If there's a sequel, I'd like to see that kid again, probably in his teens by then and being the new crime boss.

After watching the movie, I’ve looked at YouTube clips of Ansel Elgort (alongside Jamie Foxx) promoting Baby Driver in talk shows and radio shows. He is a pretty cool dude and multi-talented. Didn’t really like the guy before this, but now I’m a fan of the actor.

Whilst I enjoyed both I do think this film seen next to Atomic Blonde highlights Wrights strengths at mixing this kind of stylised action with effective drama in a way very few people beyond Tarantino are able to effectively

To get slightly spoilery...

You say "sociopathic" but actually I think the twist of Hamm's Buddy character as the main antagonist rather than Fox's more obvious sociopath really highlights that aspect of the film. He's not your typical sociopathic monster so much as merely a ruthless criminal who moves from having some connection to the hero to having a reason for a vendetta against him.

Last edited:
Annabelle: Creation

7/10

The theatre was remarkably full for a Wednesday night, and, being a young crowd, remarkably quiet. Except for the creepy moments, lots of genuine sounding gasps and whispers of fright. So that always helps the mood.

But as a horror buff, there was a little bit too much randomness and added things simply to create scares that just wouldn't otherwise be there by the story. There were some effective, creepy moments, but other parts felt forced and unnecessary, like filler.

The bright spot was the acting. Awesome all-round (a rarity for horrors). The two main little girl actresses were brilliant. Good cast too with Anthony LaPagloa and Miranda Otto (again the little girls Talitha Bateman and Lulu Wilson).

The set and costumes were great as well.

Overall, pretty decent and ties in the future Annabelle with the past for sure.

The Guest

7.5/10

Quite an entertaining flick overall. Had a bit of an It Follows vibe (what with the excellent 80s synth [and otherwise] music), and the girl-next-door beauty of Maika Monroe.

Good action, though a tad predictable. It felt like the directors were trying to make into a borderline-horror but it wasn't that at all really.

odd ending, a little unbelievable unless there was supposed to be a supernatural element to it. Dude was stabbed pretty much in the heart, plus shot a few times.

Detour

8.5/10

Now THIS was a pleasant surprise. A mystery roller-coaster ride set in the weirdsville Southwest where many weird tales start and end.

Tye Sheridan is a treat, as was pretty much the rest of the cast. Interesting plot and a great suggestion from Netflix after The Guest.

An advisable watch.

Last edited:
Wolfen 4/10
wolfen.jpg

This movie sucks.

Plot is about wolves in NY killing Bums for food and building tycoons for wanting to destroy they dilapidated buildings where they live. Albert Finney plays the detective who spends his time eating and talking to naked indians about wolf spirits. Movie ends with 1 kill, which was amusing, and a fruitless finale.

Ok, this is a wolf movie, not a werewolf movie and you dont see them until the last third of the flick. No, instead you got a POV shot of a monster that sees with gritty Predator vision. Its a nice touch, really, but there is hardly anything else between the beginning kills and the end. Just a dull fucking horror.

Oh and yes, the music is from Aliens before Aliens. James Horner did both movies and here he was starting out the Aliens action score. It actually helped me pay attention to the screen, but it was just all lies!

Detroit (2017) - 7/10

Solid movie with a good cast and some really intense scenes. i really didn't get a huge SJW vibe from it tbh, aside from a couple of scenes.

The Big Sick (2017) - 8.5/10

Loved it, Ray Romano absolutely killed it and was hilarious in this.

Logan Lucky - 8/10

Hilarious movie. Driver and Tatum do a great job as sad sack southern boys down on their luck. Riley Keough is their sister, and I am in love with her now. Daniel Craig was definitely the star of the film. He was just absolutely stellar as Joe Bang, their explosives expert.

I felt it was a good showing of Southern life too. People hit hard by the mines closing, the youth pageant culture, and just the general fun some of them can get up to. Not to mention the Nascar love. The Logans and the Bangs could have easily been my family.

Good comedy, fun characters, and a fast pace. Highly recommended.

Wind River 7/10

I watched two movies last night.

Baywatch - 6.5/10

It wasnt super funny or original, and the acting wasnt great, but I still enjoyed it.

The Zookeepers Wife - 7/10

Solid movie about a zookeeper and his wife hiding jews during ww2. I think the emotional scenes just werent quite powerful enough.

Kill List - 8/10

About a hitman that hasn't worked in about 8 months due a job gone wrong. It messed with him mentally and led to family issues. His friend convinces him to get back to work with hum but things end up getting worse.

It starts off a bit slow and is hard to understand at times due to the English accent (I should have watched with subtitles) but it becomes what you expect then something very different.

Last edited:
The Phantom of the Paradise is such a weird, off putting movie.

It's most certainly weird, and I wouldn't describe it as pleasant, but I'll take that sort of commitment to a vision and motif over a lot of what is getting churned out these days. Like Paul Williams himself, it is definitely a product of the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back