Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hated the movie of American Psycho, the book is one of my all-time favourites though. For the record, the book for me is quite clear that he doesnt actually kill anyone, it's also much funnier than the film in my opinion.

Hereditary (2018)
Was expecting better to be honest as I'd heard it was a great modern horror movie and had great reviews. My mate usually hates horror and he rated it highly after seeing it in the cinema, but he's also a pretentious movie fan so I reserve judgement a bit with his opinions. Anyway, it was definitely something a bit different and didn't rely on jump-scares which was refreshing. Some things I didn't see coming especially at the beginning of the movie, and the ending was kind of creepy. Not bad, but a bit underwhelming and some SERIOUS over-acting throughout especially the lead actress/mother.
7/10

Shimmer Lake

One of those times I randomly searched Netfilx, couldn't really decide on anything, and said to myself "Ah', fuck it. Let's watch...this. The promo pic is kinda cool."

It actually wasn't too shabby. It's a dark comedy, heist flick of sorts, that shamelessly rips off the style of "Memento" and tells the story backwards. The events of the story are broken down into days of the week, and unravels to show you how the plot got to where it ended at the beginning of the film. The opening day ends with one of the bank robbers getting shot by a mystery man who takes the money with an accomplice, and the whole movie leads up to the moment where that plan is hatched, and you're left wondering who ultimately got away with the money, and why.

All in all, it was pretty tight. The back to front style is executed well, the story is interesting enough, the acting is good, the characters are well defined, and it pulled off the mystery reveal. It wasn't a mind blowing, shocking twist or anything, but it was well done and it admittedly got me. It was a good cap to the flick.

If you're in the mood for a random heist/mystery flick, you could do a lot worse. It also clocks in at a skimpy 86 minutes, so you're not gonna feel too cheated if you don't like it. Only thing I'd complain about, is that the comedic parts are more miss than hit. The movie has a natural dark comedy vibe which works, but occasionally it tries a little too hard and veers into pure comedy territory, and those moments usually land with a thud. Those moments are few and far between though.

All in all, not a bad little flick.

7/10

In the commentary she suggests that this was a horror and a comedy, and that this didnt happen. Especially since it didn't happen for Bateman in the book and the movie. How could the director confuse that? Thats the whole point of the story.

She must have changed her mind because I searched this morning to see what she thought about the ending and came up with this -
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/American-Psycho-Ending-What-Really-Happened-70126.html
It's a pretty interesting read as it goes through the theories.

the meg
god, where do i start?having read the book multiple times i was looking forward to this, a giant prehistoric shark eating the beautiful people what more could i want? the beautiful people where about, just none of them got ate. not enough shark stuff happened for me.this film has the most minimal connection to the book, that being the meg and jonas, and the ending was beyond stupid.

3/10

and it only gets that for the stath and bingbing li.

Fate of the Furious. Too much cringey dialogue and impossible Dom saves the day miracle shit to want to watch it again. I realized I never watched Furious 7, the one with Honda.

I read there's a Hobbs & some other guy spin-off coming.

The Nun -

Pros:
1. The sound in the theater was great. It was 11.1 surround but I heard so many more points.
2. Bathrooms were close to the entrance of the theater.
3. I went to the earlier screening so it wasn't a big crowd.
4. I got a 5 dollar gift card from amc for buying snacks.
5. There were entertaining visuals in the 3rd act from a fly crawling on the lens of the projector.

Cons:
1. The girl who sat next to me had bad breath and it wafted over many times.
2. Right as the movie started I opened my Reese's Pieces too hard and they spilled on my lap.
3. It had a lot of jump scares that were loud and it interrupted my thoughts about my day.
4. The Reese's Pieces melted under my right thigh and stained my new pants.
5. There was a woman in the movie that always wore a black robe with white lining around her head, and no one wanted to talk to her. What was her deal?
6. It was based in the Conjuring world.
7. The fly left before the movie finished.

Because of the Pros: 3/10

lol

The Godfather (1972)

I can see why it is one of the greatest films of all time. Great directing, acting, cinematography, and a great script. It really is one of those bucket list movies. That's all I gotta say about that.

9.5/10

The Devil's Candy

This always kept showing up on my Netfilx recommendations, and it looked and sounded like some Z-grade horror schlock that some no budget studio made for a hundred bucks. Looked into it, because I couldn't ignore it anymore. Turns out, it was made by the same guy who made "The Loved Ones", which was a pretty solid Aussie horror flick, that got a bit of attention some years ago. Okay, I'm sold.

*sigh*

What a disappointment. It's so damn boring. The movie starts off with this fat weird looking dude fresh out of the insane asylum and living with his parents, playing heavy guitar riffs to drown out the voices in his head(metal culture plays a big part in the movie). Mom tells him to shut the fuck up, the voices come back, he hits mom with the guitar, she falls down the stairs and dies. Dad comes home, and he is presumably killed by the son.

Flash forward some time, and some new family buys the house where the murders took place. The father is a total metalhead, as is his daughter, and the mother is just kind of normal. Anyways, the father is a professional artist who paints big canvas pieces for whoever, and that's really the only depth there is to his character. As time goes on, the father gets possessed and starts painting some satanic shit. He gets so wrapped up in his work that he begins to neglect some fatherly duties, and his daughter starts to resent him. It's about as interesting as it sounds.

Now, while this is all going on, the killer from the opening scene is still somehow on the loose, despite wearing a bright red jumpsuit the entire time, and being highly identifiable. I guess they were going for a Michael Myers kind of thing, in how he's real but has some unknown spiritual powers that make him elusive. Whatever. Anyways, he can't shake the voices in his head, and eventually starts stalking the family, particularly the daughter, yada, yada, he doesn't stop, yada, yada, terrorizes daughter, yada, yada, big showdown with the father, yada, yada, final sequence is kind of cool but nothing special, the end.

There's really nothing all that special here. The film looks good, and the actors are all game and play their parts well, but it never really elevates itself above a pedestrian "possession" horror/slasher flick. It does nothing wrong, it's just boring, and there is no atmosphere. What might've saved a lot of it, would've been a more moody, synthwave soundtrack instead of trying to infuse it with metal, because the overall mundane tone of the movie clashes with the upbeat metal music. It doesn't fit. Metal fits more with a balls out gorefest, and not some atmospheric slow burn.

Anyways, meh.

5/10

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Dark_knight_rises_poster.jpg

When I initially saw this film, it instantly became my favorite of the franchise. Considering all of the hate it gets, I figured I would rewatch to see if it still holds up. It does. Still my favorite. Hardy's incarnation of Bane was awesome. My only complaint is that Talia al Ghul was very poorly cast. I haven't really liked Marion Cotillard in anything she has done, but she was an especially poor choice for this character.

9.5/10

Black Panther

8/10, solid entry in the MCU

Not as good as Thor: Rag but pretty close

The Devil's Candy

This always kept showing up on my Netfilx recommendations, and it looked and sounded like some Z-grade horror schlock that some no budget studio made for a hundred bucks. Looked into it, because I couldn't ignore it anymore. Turns out, it was made by the same guy who made "The Loved Ones", which was a pretty solid Aussie horror flick, that got a bit of attention some years ago. Okay, I'm sold.

*sigh*

What a disappointment. It's so damn boring. The movie starts off with this fat weird looking dude fresh out of the insane asylum and living with his parents, playing heavy guitar riffs to drown out the voices in his head(metal culture plays a big part in the movie). Mom tells him to shut the fuck up, the voices come back, he hits mom with the guitar, she falls down the stairs and dies. Dad comes home, and he is presumably killed by the son.

Flash forward some time, and some new family buys the house where the murders took place. The father is a total metalhead, as is his daughter, and the mother is just kind of normal. Anyways, the father is a professional artist who paints big canvas pieces for whoever, and that's really the only depth there is to his character. As time goes on, the father gets possessed and starts painting some satanic shit. He gets so wrapped up in his work that he begins to neglect some fatherly duties, and his daughter starts to resent him. It's about as interesting as it sounds.

Now, while this is all going on, the killer from the opening scene is still somehow on the loose, despite wearing a bright red jumpsuit the entire time, and being highly identifiable. I guess they were going for a Michael Myers kind of thing, in how he's real but has some unknown spiritual powers that make him elusive. Whatever. Anyways, he can't shake the voices in his head, and eventually starts stalking the family, particularly the daughter, yada, yada, he doesn't stop, yada, yada, terrorizes daughter, yada, yada, big showdown with the father, yada, yada, final sequence is kind of cool but nothing special, the end.

There's really nothing all that special here. The film looks good, and the actors are all game and play their parts well, but it never really elevates itself above a pedestrian "possession" horror/slasher flick. It does nothing wrong, it's just boring, and there is no atmosphere. What might've saved a lot of it, would've been a more moody, synthwave soundtrack instead of trying to infuse it with metal, because the overall mundane tone of the movie clashes with the upbeat metal music. It doesn't fit. Metal fits more with a balls out gorefest, and not some atmospheric slow burn.

Anyways, meh.

5/10

Wrong

The soundtrack was awesome, they had Sunn O))) doing all the doomy guitar stuff, he is a legend of the doom metal scene sorry you didnt get it

Wrong

The soundtrack was awesome, they had Sunn O))) doing all the doomy guitar stuff, he is a legend of the doom metal scene sorry you didnt get it

There's nothing really to "get". Knowing who the artists are behind the music, doesn't elevate the material any, or make the music any more fitting. You either like it or you don't. I did not.

Room (2015)

It's a decent movie carried by a phenomenal performance by Brie Larson, so that bumps it up.

7/10

Murder on The Orient Express

I love parlor mysteries. Old school Who done it’s, Charlie Chan, Agatha Christie, Sherlock, Scooby Doo.
This had a terrific cast. But it lacked character development, wasted some all together that could have been promising. And the plot lacked. I was still entertained however, as I love these type of movies. I hope they do another as they eluded to at the end of this one.

7/10

DISOBEDIENCE

The Rachels play Jewish bisexuals and I'm not sure it's worth not cutting to the chase.

tumblr_p93jev_P74c1xtggfko5_400.gif

It's not terrible. It helps if you're Orthodox because it's not otherwise as gut-wrenching as the vibe and tenor intends. I don't think they knew how to end the film, and probably should have used Alessandro Nivola a bit more.

DOWNSIZING

Alexander Payne makes comedies that are just short of funny, which is not to say they're bad but rather his characters are so sympathetic it hurts to laugh at their failures, pain, and all the other things you'd normally laugh at in a shallower comedy. The other thing he likes to do is uncomfortable nudity, the unimaginable bastard.

What I love in stories in when you get little bite-sized nuggets of funny wisdom:

I wouldn't recommend it unless you like lowkey absurdism.

giphy.gif

Slender Man (2018) - 1/10

It’s been a long time since I saw a movie where I literally couldn’t find one thing I liked about it, but this shit show was just so unbearably bad that I hardly made it through the whole thing. Dull uninteresting characters, a clunky all over the place pace, and c level digital effects. Found it hard to believe this is a wide release movie.

The documentary, of the girl stabbing her friend in the woods, i think on HBO, Beware of Slender Man, was crazy as hell. It happened close to where I live, so I was interested in seeing it. Very difficult to watch, which is what I think makes a good documentary.

The movie looks like shit so thanks, will not watch

Last Vegas (2013)

Last_Vegas_Poster.jpg

Moderately funny at times, but mostly just a movie created to appeal to old people.

5/10 - "C-"

Interesting that she said that, cause my assumption- and I never read the book but from what fans of the book have told me- is that the book makes it pretty ambiguous and plays up that notion that it could be all in his head. So if she intended to send the message that it definitely was happening, she was deviating from the source material I believe.

It is an entertaining film for sure. Vintage Bale performance and it is really dark sense of humor in the satire.
The whole idea is that Bateman wasn't even sure due to everyone else's reactions. Since you are getting the story from Bateman's POV it is supposed to leave you unsure. The reality I always got, also from the book, is that he did do it, but everyone else is so caught up in their own lives and getting everyone confused with one another, that they don't even suspect he did it because half the people think Bateman is someone else anyways. Not to mention people still think they are seeing Paul Allen (who was murdered and has been missing for months)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back