Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bite (2017)
Gross-out body horror that wasn't that gross, all things considered. Bird goes to Costa Rica for her hen weekend (which, by Central American standards, is probably the safest/least venomous country there - but nobody, I suppose, would go for a hen weekend to say, El Salvador/Honduras) and gets lamped by some insect in a pool while she's hammered.....but that doesn't tell the whole story, as the story of the night out itself is very patchy and keeps skipping back and forth to the point the timeline makes no sense whatsoever.

Gets home and starts laying eggs and spurting puss from her thighs. Turns into a weird insect-ish human with a tail/stinger. Kills a good few people who (mostly) had bad intentions anyway.

Not as gross as expected and kind of boring.

4/10

I Tonya 8.5/10

It was really good, from the acting, casting, the flash forwards and talking directly inot the camera. I have no idea how acurate it is, but I really felt for Tonya. A real American success story, with a shitty ending. I really liked how Nancy is barely in it.

Black Panther - 8/10

After back to back to back comedies in the MCU, I was pleasantly surprised that BP was very serious in tone for almost 95% of the movie. Almost to the point of humorless.

Very well acted from everyone. The Black Panther costume is perfect and T'Challa is played exactly as I envisioned. Killmonger is also fantastic and the best antagonist since Loki. You get where he is coming from and almost root for him.

I watched it in 4k and the HDR is stunning. Great cinematography. Good action, good story and well paced. Most MCU movies have too much going on but this stayed focused in T'Challa and Wakanda for the most part. It felt almost like a Bond movie.

I went in expecting it to feel a little SJW and didn't come out feeling like that at all. As for cons, the CG felt dated and bad at times and the final fight could have been better done. Not bad but the CG and location was a little offputting.

All and all, one of the better MCU movies.
Only thing I thought was stupid is how the wakandan's are using spears and rhinos. like, they have better technology than stark and they use spears?

Only thing I thought was stupid is how the wakandan's are using spears and rhinos. like, they have better technology than stark and they use spears?
The spears shoot lasers, if that helps.

Black Panther 5.5/10
Super over-rated

Game Night
5.5/10
Meh comedy

Molly's Game
7/10
Enjoyed this movie

Kill List 9/10

I really wish I had gone in not knowing anything about the movie. It still surprised me, but I think the effect would have been even better if I had been caught completely off guard. Great hitman movie about a guy who gets brought back into the business by his partner, causing them to get caught up in a job that quickly spirals out of control. Brutal violence (though less of it on screen that it might seem) and, although it might seem like an odd detail, there are some very realistic depiction of fights between husband and wife.

I'd highly recommend it, and recommend going in not knowing any more about the movie.

I tried watching it but I couldn’t understand anyone

black panther 6/10

wow, that was seriously underwhelming. i mean it wasnt bad, but considering the hype and all this movie got, i was expecting a lot more. that lupita chick is hot, but i never really got invested into it at all. and i know jack shit about super heroes, but on that scale, the black panther seems pretty week. on a side note, has andy serkis been in every single mega blockbuster in the last 15 years?

The Void

I've been hearing some rumblings in the horror community about this one. Did not deserve the hype. It's a boring flick, with a razor thin plot, and stock characters that can't elevate the material.

Now, in fairness, I didn't go in expecting some tightly woven narrative, or actors stealing the show. This movie was promoted on it's practical effects, that allegedly harken back to the 80's, with "The Thing" being it's biggest influence. Well, what's there is decent enough. Problem is, you get about four, or maybe five minutes of total screen time with these effects, and that's it. There's like one really good sequence, packed in between 85 minutes of sheer boredom. When the build to a sequence like that sucks, and the aftermath sucks, it's not going to leave much of an impression.

Anyways, meh. Don't waste your time.

4/10

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Indiana_Jones_and_the_Temple_of_Doom_PosterB.jpg

As a kid, I absolutely loved this movie. When it came out, I couldn't decide which film I liked better (Temple of Doom or Raiders of the Lost Ark). After watching this film again for the first time as an adult, I can't decide which film is worse (Temple of Doom or Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls). If it had come out when I was an adult, as a follow up to Raiders, I would have been extremely disappointed. Temple of Doom was basically a kids movie where Raiders was a real action/adventure film. It's as though they don't even exist in the same universe, and the Temple of Doom style of Indy movies is probably what we have to look forward to now that Disney owns the rights. All that said, I will still give it a few nostalgia points...

5/10 - "C-"

Last edited:
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

As a kid, I absolutely loved this movie. When it came out, I couldn't decide which film I liked better (Temple of Doom or Raiders of the Lost Ark). After watching this film again for the first time as an adult, I can't decide which film is worse (Temple of Doom or Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls). If it had come out when I was an adult, as a follow up to Raiders, I would have been extremely disappointed. Temple of Doom was basically a kids movie where Raiders was a real action/adventure film. It's as though they don't even exist in the same universe, and the Temple of Doom style of Indy movies is probably what we have to look forward to now that Disney owns the rights. All that said, I will still give it a few nostalgia points...

5/10 - "C-"

Temple of Doom >> Last Crusade

Movie is awesome. Stop hating

Avengers: Infinity wars. Easy to sum up,the best marvel film to date.

No fucking chance. Temple reduced itself to a kids' movie.

ijtod.jpg

It's such a weird movie, because while it is the more whimsical, silly kids movie of the bunch, it's got some of the most disturbing scenes in the franchise.

I always love watching the Indiana Jones flicks, and counting the scenes that would've earned them an immediate R-rating today.

black panther 6/10

wow, that was seriously underwhelming. i mean it wasnt bad, but considering the hype and all this movie got, i was expecting a lot more. that lupita chick is hot, but i never really got invested into it at all. and i know jack shit about super heroes, but on that scale, the black panther seems pretty week. on a side note, has andy serkis been in every single mega blockbuster in the last 15 years?

What happens when falling for SJW hype.

The Outsider

I avoided watching this because, I had a pretty good idea of what it would be. Weird white guy saves the _______ethnic minority, bangs the local girl, and terribly speaks the language, and ends up saving the day. (these things tend to stick out more for me since I grew up in Japan and speak the language) But a friend of mine was adamant that it wasn't that kind of movie...and he was wrong.

Disappointing because Jared Leto is a good actor, as is Asano.
The time period would have also been an interesting time to explore--Japan right after WW2, and how they would perceive an American, as well as the Yakuza coming into their prime.

There is just nothing to Leto's character.
He is a former serviceman in a Japanese prison that finds himself in the yakuza. Aside from the unbelievablity of this, it is never really discussed as to HOW he makes such a leap? He has a lot of screen time, and very little lines. He just comes across as a cold pyschopath throughout the movie, I have no idea why anyone, especially the japanese mafia, and right after WW2 would trust this guy to the point where they actually made him a member of their organization.

The whole movie just kind of comes across as some sort of anime geek's wet dream come to life, white guy joins the yakuza, samurai swords, gets the hot japanese girl, bushido, sake, kabuki, and sumo--they've got every stereotypical japanese thing in it.
It wasn't a terrible movie, it was just a very generic, bland one.
4/10

Death Wish (2018)
The remake with Bruce Willis as the lead. Exactly as expected, a reasonably fun 1.5hrs or whatever but these remakes really make you realise how wafer thin plots were back 'in the day'. The storyline is barely there, haha. But we knew that.
6/10

Upgrade - 8/10

A really solid revenge-style movie. Somewhat predictable, but I actually really enjoyed it. Probably my favorite movie I've seen in May.

Upgrade - 8/10

A really solid revenge-style movie. Somewhat predictable, but I actually really enjoyed it. Probably my favorite movie I've seen in May.

Movie was completely off my radar but then I went to metacritic and rotten tomatoes and was very surprised by the very solid response.

Will check this one out. Fake Tom Hardy is cool.

Movie was completely off my radar but then I went to metacritic and rotten tomatoes and was very surprised by the very solid response.

Will check this one out. Fake Tom Hardy is cool.

Yeah I didn't even hear about this movie until earlier this week. I saw a poster for it at my theater and looked up some info after that. Never saw any trailers or anything.

There's also a few good scenes of ultraviolence in the movie, which always boosts my rating haha

Yeah I didn't even hear about this movie until earlier this week. I saw a poster for it at my theater and looked up some info after that. Never saw any trailers or anything.

There's also a few good scenes of ultraviolence in the movie, which always boosts my rating haha

From the brief plot descriptions I’ve read, I was getting a Robocop meets The Crow vibe.

I like a good revenge fantasy film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back