Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Archangel was one of his 4 horsemen in the comics. That is why for him.

And Psylock they did a terrible job at explaining or even showing who she is. She is one of the more powerful mutant telepaths. She is basically Jean Grey(minus Pheonix Force of course) that is also a Ninja and can form blades using her mind.

They did a very shitty job at actually developing the villians in this one. Once again Magneto basically carried the personality of the villains so we even cared. (also, I don't recall him ever being one of the Horsemen in the comics)

Yeah, I don't know shit about the comics, so I guess stuff like the treatment Psylock got could explain a lot of the hate. If she is who you say she is, then yeah, the movie failed on an absurd level to convey any of that. I guess they were perhaps counting people to have been informed on what she can do, but for the uninitiated like me, she seemed completely useless, and then giving her an "I'll be back" kind of walkout scene at the end, was kind of baffling. Like, why is she getting the treatment like she matters at all? She did nothing, but cut a car in half, and beat up Beast a little bit.

I just rewatched:

It was:
VF2Sddp.gif

Annihilation (2018)
Wasn't bad actually, but perhaps a bit different to what I was expecting. A little bit trippy but a cool concept overall. The all-female lead cast, I was a bit so-so about - it seemed a bit forced to be honest. But as a sci-fi ish type movie goes, decent.
7/10

Trying to catch up on the Marvel movies....

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 8/10

Loved it. Laugh out loud funny throughout the movie. No real complaints other than being a little too over the top but very enjoyable.

Spider-Man Homecoming - 8/10

Another one I enjoyed. Tom Holland plays Spider-Man flawlessly and it's the version I've always wanted to see in a movie. The costume looked great, the story was fun and Michael Keaton was great as the Vulture. I didn't like the suit being like Iron Man however and I thought the action was too chaotic and unbelievable. I loved all of the regular scenes and didn't care for hardly any of the action scenes. Loved the ending.

Up next, Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther.

Archangel was one of his 4 horsemen in the comics. That is why for him.

And Psylock they did a terrible job at explaining or even showing who she is. She is one of the more powerful mutant telepaths. She is basically Jean Grey(minus Pheonix Force of course) that is also a Ninja and can form blades using her mind.

They did a very shitty job at actually developing the villians in this one. Once again Magneto basically carried the personality of the villains so we even cared. (also, I don't recall him ever being one of the Horsemen in the comics)

Apocalypse himself I think shows you what a good job Marvel did with Thanos in plot characterisation and indeed technically. People tend to play up pratical FX over CGI but honestly I think this is a great example of the benefits of the latter, Apocalypse is so covered in prosthetics he ends up very characterless where as CGI Thanos allows much more of Brolins performance to show.

new avengers 7/10

Enough laughs, and plenty of the guardians (my favorite), so it was worthwhile. Still though...
they killed all the wrong people. Tony Stark is fucking bland, and no longer interesting. He's not funny, and needs help to carry a scene now. The new marvel lineup had a good thing going, and I know it's not like they're gone forever, but c'mon... The new guys had no chance to build themselves up. This better have been in the comics and they're just following it. They're coming back because Dr. strange saw it, and they're following his vision, but jesus, it wasn't even sad, just disappointing.

Time Trap (2017)

I highly recommend this movie. It’s very similar to ‘the time machine’ but slightly different. It’s low budget but looks good, and the premise is really good. The actors are surprisingly decent for a film of this caliber, even the 10yo. I think they could definitely do a sequel to this.

8/10.

The Karate Kid II (1986)

Karate_kid_part_II.jpg

I had not watched this film since childhood, and back then I dismissed it as being a rehash of a superior original. While I still have a stronger love for the original, I don't think I was giving part II the credit it deserves. It was a different story and had a level of depth to it I didn't appreciate back then.

8/10 - "B+"

The Karate Kid III (1989)

Karate_kid_part_III.jpg

I had not watched this movie in decades. As a kid I liked it better than the Karate Kid II even though I recognized some its flaws. After watching it again, it's defiantly not better than Karate Kid II. It definitely lacks some the depth of the first two. And of course there are some other glaring flaws...

- Mr. Miyagi's inexplicable decision to refuse training to Daniel despite Daniel's life being threatened
- A Karate tournament champion that broke six blocks of ice, with his hand, being spooked by and having difficulty breaking boards
- A successful business man being out-negotiated and giving up 50% of his Cobra Kai business to a snot-nosed kid just get revenge against some other snot-nosed kid

Despite the flaws, it still gets some points for nostalgia and because I enjoyed most of the characters.

6/10 - "C+"

Last edited:
The Next Karate Kid (1994)

The_next_karate_kid.jpg

I had never seen this film before, and it was even more putrid than I had expected. It lacked a plot or purpose of any kind. The dialogue was mostly pretty ridiculous and sometimes the acting seemed like something out of a cheap B movie. The story moved very slowly and seemed to jump around to random plot points while spending a minimal amount of time on actual training sequences. The rip off "Cobra Kai" type group was lame. The characters overall lacked substance. And what the hell was the point of that bird? The only connection this film had to previous installments in the franchise was that it had Mr. Miyagi in it, and he was teaching someone Karate (sometimes). This was a sad film on which to end the franchise. Glad we got that awesome show on You Tube.

1/10 - "F"

Logan

You know, I'm a fan of dark and grim movies, and I honestly don't know what it was about this one, but I think it went a little too far in that direction, to the point of boredom. Maybe it's because I don't particularly care that much about the Wolverine character, or the 50 shades of brown color palette the movie utilized for mood, but I simply didn't give a shit about a damn thing that happens in this flick. It was just one big mope. It's just mopes along from one mopey scene to the next. The villains sucked, and I could not get into the story at all. I couldn't have cared less about the little girl or whole family dynamic going on with Xavier, Logan, and the girl.

Now, that said, it's all well made. The actors are game, with Patrick Stewart especially getting to spread his wings a little more than usual, and have some fun. The little girl is good. Jackman is solid as usual. The film looks good, the action is well handled, and the script is fine. I honestly can't find much to criticize on a technical level, and I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for loving it, especially fans of character, but it just didn't do a damn thing for me personally.

6/10

Thor - Ragarok - 7/10

Dark World is my least favorite out of all of the Marvel Universe. I know Ragnarok had a lot of praise but I still tried to keep my expectations low. Happy to report that I liked Ragnarok quite a bit. Well paced, well acted, funny and very unique. I also thought it had some of the best cinematography in any of the Marvel movies and I loved the soundtrack and subtle use of synthesizers. Turning Thor into a more comedic character I think was a smart move and Hemsworth gives his best performance yet I thought. Hela was a complete badass and Cate Blanchett nailed the character and looked like she was having fun.

On top Black Panther when it comes out Tuesday and then I'm caught up.

Atomic Blonde - 3/10. I was expecting some nice action and a reasonably interesting plot; sadly I didn't see either. It was really monotonous to watch and felt so slow.

Atomic Blonde - 3/10. I was expecting some nice action and a reasonably interesting plot; sadly I didn't see either. It was really monotonous to watch and felt so slow.

In that vein...

Red Sparrow

6/10

Kept waiting for it to pick up and get more interesting and it never got there. One of those films that isn't bad but is not particularly compelling. You had some good performances in there but we've seen spy/double agent stuff done significantly better.

In that vein...

Red Sparrow

6/10

Kept waiting for it to pick up and get more interesting and it never got there. One of those films that isn't bad but is not particularly compelling. You had some good performances in there but we've seen spy/double agent stuff done significantly better.
I don't even want to watch Red Sparrow, like Romanova (from Avengers), the main character is a stereotypical ballerina/assassin/agent character... can't these directors be more creative? not every girl gets put to dance school, especially those who are agents of sorts... Also, Lawrence doesn't look cold like some Russian girls really look like. As a Russian, I cringe each time I see some of these spies from Russia.. and the horrible pronunciation of words and accents.... they could at least bring in a voice actor/actress.

Dunkirk
9 out of 10. Phenomenal cinematography. Amazingly well done with minimal dialogue, no character set up and basically just tossing you onto the beach.

Deadpool 2 7.5/10

It was alright. Deadpool 1 is my favorite comic book movie and I had high expectations going into 2. It didn't live up to my expectations. Kind of let me down actually. Enjoyed it overall I guess. I need to see it again I think. I didn't love Deadpool 1 coming out of it. But on my second viewing and then multiple viewings after that, it became my favorite. Who knows...

Kill List 9/10

I really wish I had gone in not knowing anything about the movie. It still surprised me, but I think the effect would have been even better if I had been caught completely off guard. Great hitman movie about a guy who gets brought back into the business by his partner, causing them to get caught up in a job that quickly spirals out of control. Brutal violence (though less of it on screen that it might seem) and, although it might seem like an odd detail, there are some very realistic depiction of fights between husband and wife.

I'd highly recommend it, and recommend going in not knowing any more about the movie.

Black Panther - 8/10

After back to back to back comedies in the MCU, I was pleasantly surprised that BP was very serious in tone for almost 95% of the movie. Almost to the point of humorless.

Very well acted from everyone. The Black Panther costume is perfect and T'Challa is played exactly as I envisioned. Killmonger is also fantastic and the best antagonist since Loki. You get where he is coming from and almost root for him.

I watched it in 4k and the HDR is stunning. Great cinematography. Good action, good story and well paced. Most MCU movies have too much going on but this stayed focused in T'Challa and Wakanda for the most part. It felt almost like a Bond movie.

I went in expecting it to feel a little SJW and didn't come out feeling like that at all. As for cons, the CG felt dated and bad at times and the final fight could have been better done. Not bad but the CG and location was a little offputting.

All and all, one of the better MCU movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back