Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Kind Of Murder

7/10

I thought it was interesting. I liked the set and costumes. Patrick Wilson is also a treat. I'm surprised the critics didn't care for it.

Kindap 5/10

keeps the speed at 100% the whole way but fails to expand upon any characters. Also is too "rah rah" for women and makes something that could have been freshly tongue in cheek (the wrath of a soccer mom meets taken) into something corny.

War for the planet of the apes

7/10 - Good but there is a LOT OF reading. I don't mind but some people aren't really into that. It fits nicely with the last two films I think. Woody is amazing in it. the thing about the last two POTA movies is that they feel more like sci-fi action. I really enjoyed the more eerie sci-fi feel of the first one. still great though.

get out 9/10

took me a while to see it but I really enjoyed it. Huge key and peele fan. the mixture of horror/scifi/comedy didn't feel out of place. It was different, I liked it.

baby driver 9/10

mixes comedy and drama very well like get out. Feels like a full fledged comedy. Probably wrights best work so far. Its just a cool movie.

ace ventura pet detective and ace ventura when nature calls - 10/10. just genius. 90's at it's finest.

"this took you 80 years to achieve"

"that's okay, I don't like it anymore."

Kimi no na wa - 5/6. Thoroughly entertaining rom com anime with very good beautiful animation and some very spiritual feeling parts.

It (1990). This one is tough to rate. Overall a decent pic with some genuinely spooky moments and good suspense throughout. Tim Curry was awesome. But the ending was anticlimactic as hell.

So this cosmically powerful being was taken out by..... a slingshot? .........and uppercuts?!

What am I missing? Never read the book. I thought Pennywise was supposed to be older than the universe itself and have multiversal-level powers? The clown was genuinely creepy but the spider wasn't.

yeah, it's ending is strange. havent read the books either.

Seeing this clown manipulate the world around him at will, like some supervillian, and then seeing him get stomped out ganster style as a spider is weird. doesn't fit.

beep beep

Bone tomahawk 8/10

I had an erie feeling their whole trip. Very weird feeling it evoked. Great cast, awesome payoff.

Just, okay, I get that it was independent and had to cut corners where it could, but it was shot like a god damn indie handheld movie and was really distracting. Westerns are rarely handheld and took a while to get used to.

Hell or Highwater 9/10. Good characters, casting and story line. Highly recommend it.

Nocturnal Animals - 8/10

This is the type of thriller I love. A film that makes for a good discussion after watching it.

I've seen these in the past few weeks.

The Gift - 7/10
John Wick - 8/10
John Wick II - 7/10
A Dark Song - 6/10
Green Room - 8/10
Ghostbusters II - 5/10

Don't get me wrong I personally loved Green Inferno. But can easily see how another would hate it. More so considering Eli Roth seems to catch alot of hate here.

A thing I like about Inferno is how misleading the trailers were. Trailers made it seem like these people crashed on they're way into the Amazon.

I cant hate on something that has the ability to make me LOL when most of it is meant to be repulsivly gross.

The "Fuck they have the munchies" line took me out

Heli 2013

Rated NC-17 for scenes of strong sadistic violence and sexual content.

I give it a solid 8/10

If you want a dark depressing movie that really makes you feel emotions, I strongly suggest this. Its a pretty realistic look at how life can be for people living in certain areas. A lot of shocking scenes and extremely well acted. It is a foreign movie from Mexico in Spanish with English subtitles. You can watch it online for free by typing it in on Google plus watch online free. I just watched it the other night..

"Heli must try and protect his young family when his 12-year-old sister inadvertently involves them in the brutal drug world. He must battle against the drug cartel that have been angered as well as the corrupt police force."

"Heli, a factory worker in rural Mexico must try and protect his young family when his 12 year old sister inadvertently involves them in the brutal drug world when she agrees to look after some cocaine found by her older boyfriend. When the drug cartel want their drugs back they go after the boyfriend and Heli's young family."

The Guest

A movie with an identity crisis, and now that I think of it, it might have been intentional, given the subject matter. Essentially, the movie is a standard thriller, that sees an ex-military vet come back to the States, who visits the family of a fallen comrade. The family takes a shine to him(a little too easily) and lets him stay with them for a while. He gets comfortable with the family, but there is clearly something wrong with him under the surface.

Where the movie shines, is in it's performances. Especially the lead actor, who commands the screen at all times. Outstanding performance, and the actors he plays off of, do a fine job. Where it falls apart a bit, is in it's tone and direction. It immediately invokes a retro vibe, with it's intentional 80's horror synth soundtrack, and certain set designs. Problem is, it's all completely out of place. That shit just doesn't jive with the story it's telling. It's a modern setting, and the atmosphere isn't that of a horror movie. It's like they threw in the retro horror window dressing, just because. It's comparable to watching "Commando", with the "Halloween" soundtrack. The pieces just don't fit together.

There are also some problems with the script, as plot holes and conveniences abound, and the reveal is really weak, but all in all, it's still entertaining and worth a watch. I think this Adam Wingard guy will eventually put the pieces together, and deliver something truly amazing one day, but much like his previous outing "You're Next", he comes close, and shows promise, but falls short.

7/10

The degree of influence from Drive is pretty obvious, especially in the lead actors performance but that doesn't stop it from being strong I'd agree although as you say unlike Drive it doesn't really have the film it deserves.

Love these threads. I get more recommendations from here than Rottentomatoes.

My kids like scary movies so we watched a couple of decent ones:

Get Out: This was pretty fucking good. Good cast, well,acted, and finally a new idea in a horror genre. Not the scariest, but creepy throughout with some laughs as well. Can't give too many details without giving away the plot but going home to meet your GFs parents was never this fun. 7.5/10

The Boy--This movie won't win any awards but the cast was good and the setting was perfect. It really could have knocked it out of the park but missed with slightLy slow pacing and not enough scares. Plot twist I am up in the air about. But it is way better than most of the stuff in this genre. 6.5/10

Just finished the cement garden 1993.

9/10.

Loved it. Very different kind of movie, nothing like Hollywood would ever do. Exactly the types of movies I like finding.

Plot

After the death of her husband, the mother of Julie, Jack, Sue and Tom begins to suffer from a mysterious illness. Aware that she is going to have to go into hospital she opens a bank account for the children, so that they can be financially self-sufficient and will be able to avoid being taken into care by the authorities. Unfortunately she also dies and Julie and Jack (the older, teenage children) decide to hide her body in the basement so that they can have free reign of their household. Soon Tom has taken to dressing as a girl whilst Sue has become increasingly reticent, confiding only to her diary, meanwhile Jack and Julie sense an attraction developing for each other. However Julie's new beau, Derek, threatens to unearth the many dark secrets within this family as he becomes increasingly suspicious of Jack.

Arrival

Okay, what's the big deal with this movie? Maybe I missed something, but this just seemed like one nonsensical mess, that duped people with it's "emotion" and pretty pictures. I was a little in and out during this flick, so bare with me. Spoilers below, so be warned. This is less a review, and more a questionnaire.

Alright, so how does the language help Amy Adams see through time? Why would aliens who can see through time, bother with our stupid monkey brains, and not look for a better solution to their problem? You know, given that they can see through time and all, and they know that we're morons. Is the time they see through only reliant on human beings and Earth? I thought time didn't really matter to them, so why are they reliant on us solving their problem(whatever the fuck it is) within a time constraint of 3000 years? How did Amy Adams even figure out their language? One minute she's all "I don't understand anything. Here, let me write 'Human' on a board", the next she's like "This shit is so simple. I understand everything, because I remember eventually figuring it out from a previous lifetime, in the exact same fucking scenario. You know, time shit."

Language and communication is a better option than war. Don't ask any questions. The end.

Seriously, What?

Maybe I'm just too dumb for it, but this movie did not make any sense at all to me.

5/10

Last edited:
Arrival

Okay, what's the big deal with this movie? Maybe I missed something, but this just seemed like one nonsensical mess, that duped people with it's "emotion" and pretty pictures. I was a little in and out during this flick, so bare with me. Spoilers below, so be warned. This is less a review, and more a questionnaire.

Alright, so how does the language help the Amy Adams see through time? Why would aliens who can see through time, bother with our stupid monkey brains, and not look for a better solution to their problem? You know, given that they can see through time and all, and they know that we're morons. Is the time they see through only reliant on human beings and Earth? I thought time didn't really matter to them, so why are they reliant on us solving their problem(whatever the fuck it is) within a time constraint of 3000 years? How did Amy Adams even figure out their language? One minute she's all "I don't understand anything. Here, let me write 'Human' on a board", the next she's like "This shit is so simple. I understand everything, because I remember eventually figuring it out from a previous lifetime, in the exact same fucking scenario. You know, time shit."

Language and communication is a better option than war. Don't ask any questions. The end.

Seriously, What?

Maybe I'm just too dumb for it, but this movie did not make any sense at all to me.

5/10

Gotta agree with this

Watched it cause I'm a mark for Alien flicks and wanted to see what the hype with director Dennis Villeneuve was given he'll be directing Blade Runner.

I enjoyed the first 3/4 of it with its good visuals & audios but the ending was a massive fuck off to me.

6/10 simply cause it's better alot of other shit that gets made nowadays

Annabelle - Creation.

7.5/10.

One of the better horror movies in recent years. Decent acting and one scene near the end that is particularly horrifying.

Plus an exclusive look at a scene from IT.

Matinee meant that it was fairly empty and devoid of annoying teenagers. Although some lady brought her young kid and he keep burping, talking, etc.

Nocturnal Animals - 8/10

This is the type of thriller I love. A film that makes for a good discussion after watching it.

Yeah, very interesting, weird movie. I think I watched late at night and awhile ago so would have a difficult time trying to discuss it in detail now, but it was quite good.

I kept thinking Michael Shannon's character was going to screw Gyllenhal's over, but it seemed in the end he didn't, Jake was just too slow on the draw. Quite a tragedy though.

It had a David Lynch vibe to it.

Love these threads. I get more recommendations from here than Rottentomatoes.

My kids like scary movies so we watched a couple of decent ones:

Get Out: This was pretty fucking good. Good cast, well,acted, and finally a new idea in a horror genre. Not the scariest, but creepy throughout with some laughs as well. Can't give too many details without giving away the plot but going home to meet your GFs parents was never this fun. 7.5/10

The Boy--This movie won't win any awards but the cast was good and the setting was perfect. It really could have knocked it out of the park but missed with slightLy slow pacing and not enough scares. Plot twist I am up in the air about. But it is way better than most of the stuff in this genre. 6.5/10

I agree about The Boy. And I actually thought the twist worked, helped the movie. As far as the genre goes, it was better than most.

I haven't seen Get Out yet.

Just finished the cement garden 1993.

9/10.

Loved it. Very different kind of movie, nothing like Hollywood would ever do. Exactly the types of movies I like finding.

Plot

After the death of her husband, the mother of Julie, Jack, Sue and Tom begins to suffer from a mysterious illness. Aware that she is going to have to go into hospital she opens a bank account for the children, so that they can be financially self-sufficient and will be able to avoid being taken into care by the authorities. Unfortunately she also dies and Julie and Jack (the older, teenage children) decide to hide her body in the basement so that they can have free reign of their household. Soon Tom has taken to dressing as a girl whilst Sue has become increasingly reticent, confiding only to her diary, meanwhile Jack and Julie sense an attraction developing for each other. However Julie's new beau, Derek, threatens to unearth the many dark secrets within this family as he becomes increasingly suspicious of Jack.

I've never heard of this movie. Thanks for the review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back