Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunkirk 6/10

Stereotypical characters such as the stiff upper lip old dude, the shell shocked/battle fatigued dude, fighter pilot not sacrificing himself when running out of fuel.

The time jumping thing was somewhat confusing and unnecessary, not bad, but I am not sure what it was supposed to add to the movie.

The true desperation of the BEF in France was not really demonstrated well, as compared to movies like Das Boot or Saving Private Ryan.

The movie certainly had some gripping scenes,, but all in all, a comparatively weak movies when compared to the top notch war movies.

It Comes at Night 8.8. Great acting, tense & stressful scenes and character interactions. Epic ending.

The Invitation

Pretty much perfect. I can't say too much without spoiling anything, so I'll keep it brief. The story revolves around a bunch of rich yuppies in LA, getting together for a reunion of sorts. It's implied they all severed ties after a traumatic event involving the main character and his now ex-wife. A few years have passed, and they all receive an invitation to a get together at the ex-wife and her new hubby's house. They all show up, and things get creepy.

What follows is one of the tightest and tense thrillers I've seen in years. It will keep you guessing, and second guessing yourself until the very end. And what a spectacular ending it is.

If I had a complaint at all, it would the very final twist, that felt a tacked on and a little unnecessary. Although, it does end the film on a very impactful note, and will leave an impression as the credits roll. It works, but personally I found it to be a little much.

Overall though, a superb film in every conceivable way.

9.5/10

Good movie.

I didn't get the ending because I'm colorblind. My girlfriend had to tell me what they saw in the hills.

The Invitation

Pretty much perfect. I can't say too much without spoiling anything, so I'll keep it brief. The story revolves around a bunch of rich yuppies in LA, getting together for a reunion of sorts. It's implied they all severed ties after a traumatic event involving the main character and his now ex-wife. A few years have passed, and they all receive an invitation to a get together at the ex-wife and her new hubby's house. They all show up, and things get creepy.

What follows is one of the tightest and tense thrillers I've seen in years. It will keep you guessing, and second guessing yourself until the very end. And what a spectacular ending it is.

If I had a complaint at all, it would the very final twist, that felt a tacked on and a little unnecessary. Although, it does end the film on a very impactful note, and will leave an impression as the credits roll. It works, but personally I found it to be a little much.

9.5/10

Watched the movie on your recommendation and while I figured it was going to go the way I thought, yeah, was a pretty damn good movie. Caught some feels along the way too

Creed

On top of that, the fight choreography was boring. Realistic I guess, but boring. I didn't give a shit about any of the fights in this movie The movie just tried too hard to be "emotional". Like I'm supposed to care about Apollo Creed's son's boring, run of the mill life, just because. Oh' shit, his mother is concerned about him getting hurt in the ring, and his girlfriend is a musician who is losing her hearing...who cares?

Bah! 6/10

What? That fight that was shot to occur (or appear to occur) in one take with no cuts was great. And that wasn't even the main fight.

Watched the movie on your recommendation and while I figured it was going to go the way I thought, yeah, was a pretty damn good movie. Caught some feels along the way too

Yeah, it's predictability is a blessing and a curse. You watch it, just knowing that the guy is right. He has to be, otherwise it would be a pretty uneventful movie, that doesn't lead anywhere other than a guy losing his mind. The predictability works though, because it plays on your own emotions. You feel like that guy. It's like "Oh' come on! It's so obvious these people are up to something!". Then they throw a curve ball at you, and you start second guessing yourself. At the end I didn't feel like I outsmarted the movie, because it was handled so well, and made me unsure of my own assertions of what was going on along the way. It wasn't so much a twist that I didn't see coming, but one that made me feel vindicated, after being successfully messed with.

That said, I don't how it would play on repeated viewings. It's kind of a one and done flick. Great movie though, regardless.

What? That fight that was shot to occur (or appear to occur) in one take with no cuts was great. And that wasn't even the main fight.

It's just boring. The film technique might be impressive, but at the end of the day, I have to care for the effect to take hold. I didn't give two fucks about anyone in that movie, and would have the same emotion watching a boxing match between two no names on Showtime. I don't care how "realistic" it is, if the characters fighting don't mean anything. I'd rather see a more "Hollywood" approach to the choreography and editing, if it's going to help sell me on the drama of the fight.

It might not have even been the way the fights were edited and filmed though. I just found the movie lacking in any sort emotional attachment to what was going on. Creed ain't no Rocky, that's for damn sure.

It's just boring. The film technique might be impressive, but at the end of the day, I have to care for the effect to take hold. I didn't give two fucks about anyone in that movie, and would have the same emotion watching a boxing match between two no names on Showtime. I don't care how "realistic" it is, if the characters fighting don't mean anything. I'd rather see a more "Hollywood" approach to the choreography and editing, if it's going to help sell me on the drama of the fight.

It might not have even been the way the fights were edited and filmed though. I just found the movie lacking in any sort emotional attachment to what was going on. Creed ain't no Rocky, that's for damn sure.

If you didn't like it, you didn't like it. I thought they did a good job of building investment in the Adonis character and actually building upon the investment I already had in Rocky.

Tried to watch Jackie with Natalie Portman and couldn't make it past half an hour. Maybe I'll try to finish it off, but thus far it has no plot whatsoever and there are things about Portman's performance that I don't really like. The score is also pretty irritating.

Passengers - 8/10

Wanted to see Jennifer Lawrence get naked but oh well.

The Eyes of my Mother
Well, that was unusual. I went in blind, more or less, I just knew it was a horror of sorts. Certainly wasn't expecting what I got, but I kind of enjoyed it. It was quite 'different' to say the least, it had a really odd vibe to it as well from start to finish, really creepy and odd.
6/10

Tried to watch Jackie with Natalie Portman and couldn't make it past half an hour. Maybe I'll try to finish it off, but thus far it has no plot whatsoever and there are things about Portman's performance that I don't really like. The score is also pretty irritating.

I saw this Thursday evening. The pacing was very slow throughout the whole movie. I would've loved to see more interaction with JFK character. He was like an extra with no lines. @BisexualMMA

Passengers

Couldn't finish it
So won't bother rating it.

The Green Inferno
7/10 nothing mind bending here but a nice tribute to the Italian cannibal exploitation films of old

Wardogs:
9/10 - Really enjoyed this one. A little cliched with the movie starting in the middle of the story, the narration, and cutaways, but the dialogue was very well written and it is a very interesting story.

Kong - Skull Island:
6/10 - Nothing spectacular here. Like a Jurassic Park rip off set in the 70's. The thing that makes the King Kong story work is the fact that he shows emotion and is not just an angry beast. This movie for the most part is devoid of that.

Marley and Me:
7/10 - I love dogs so I have a bias for this one. Plus I can relate to a lot of the situations in the story. These two things make me rate this movie probably higher than it should be. If you are a kid or a newlywed with a dog you will like it.

Last edited:
2 revisits

Return of the Living Dead

8.5/10

One of my favs. 2nd favorite zombie film behind the original Dawn (RIP George).

From Dusk Till Dawn

8/10

Absolutely entertaining.

The Guest

A movie with an identity crisis, and now that I think of it, it might have been intentional, given the subject matter. Essentially, the movie is a standard thriller, that sees an ex-military vet come back to the States, who visits the family of a fallen comrade. The family takes a shine to him(a little too easily) and lets him stay with them for a while. He gets comfortable with the family, but there is clearly something wrong with him under the surface.

Where the movie shines, is in it's performances. Especially the lead actor, who commands the screen at all times. Outstanding performance, and the actors he plays off of, do a fine job. Where it falls apart a bit, is in it's tone and direction. It immediately invokes a retro vibe, with it's intentional 80's horror synth soundtrack, and certain set designs. Problem is, it's all completely out of place. That shit just doesn't jive with the story it's telling. It's a modern setting, and the atmosphere isn't that of a horror movie. It's like they threw in the retro horror window dressing, just because. It's comparable to watching "Commando", with the "Halloween" soundtrack. The pieces just don't fit together.

There are also some problems with the script, as plot holes and conveniences abound, and the reveal is really weak, but all in all, it's still entertaining and worth a watch. I think this Adam Wingard guy will eventually put the pieces together, and deliver something truly amazing one day, but much like his previous outing "You're Next", he comes close, and shows promise, but falls short.

7/10

It (1990). This one is tough to rate. Overall a decent pic with some genuinely spooky moments and good suspense throughout. Tim Curry was awesome. But the ending was anticlimactic as hell.

So this cosmically powerful being was taken out by..... a slingshot? .........and uppercuts?!

What am I missing? Never read the book. I thought Pennywise was supposed to be older than the universe itself and have multiversal-level powers? The clown was genuinely creepy but the spider wasn't.

Last edited:
I saw this Thursday evening. The pacing was very slow throughout the whole movie. I would've loved to see more interaction with JFK character. He was like an extra with no lines. @BisexualMMA

I gave it another shot and picked up where I left off, but I couldn't make it past the one hour mark. I'm giving up on it. Still no plot whatsoever, and I still don't like Natalie Portman's performance.

The Invitation

9.5/10

Yeah it was really good. I keep forgetting about this one.

I might give it an 8.5, but still, really good.

Passengers

Couldn't finish it
So won't bother rating it.

The Green Inferno
7/10 nothing mind bending here but a nice tribute to the Italian cannibal exploitation films of old

I thought The Green Inferno was excellent. I mean, it was just so different than your average Hollywood film. Of course if you're comparing it to Cannibal Holocaust it's still better as the latter hasn't held up well and a lot of it is corny - including how belligerent and careless the film crew was. TGI was actually really believable in a sense, as to how dumb college kids can be let alone activist college kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back