Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15 | Page 10

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Jul 28, 2017.

1. melvinj0 Gold Belt

melvinj0
    IT (2017) - 7.5/10

I thought it was pretty solid for a horror movie remake, one of the better ones for sure. Good cast and manages to be entertaining for it's entire 2+ hour run time. Looking forward to the next one.

Annabelle: Creation (2017) - 3/10

Wasn't really a fan of either Conjuring movie or Annabelle, but I saw this because I have movie pass and it was free :) It was pretty fucking bad imo, starts off decent then just drags for an hour until eventually ending in a handful of Cheap Haunted House level scares

Little Hours (2017) - 6/10

A unique and interesting comedy with a pretty stacked cast, not overly funny or anything but did manage to have me cracking up a few times.

BisexualMMA likes this.
  2. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    The Faculty - 6/10. I've never actually seen this movie before the other night. I remember always seeing the preview for it on my VHS of Halloween H20 and thinking it looked meh. So the other night I finally decided to watch it and actually ended up thinking it was ok. Certain scenes are extremely goofy, but there's a few scenes with some genuine suspense. Lots of fairly well know actors & actresses pop up throughout, which was really cool. Most of them I never even knew were in it. Overall I'm glad I finally watched it and think it's definitely worth a watch at least once. It's nice to go back to that time period. I miss those days.

BisexualMMA likes this.
  3. fonzob1 Black Belt

fonzob1
    I haven't seen that movie since it was released in 1998, but I remember thinking it was pretty weak. It had a lot of younger actors before their careers really took off.

4. The_Renaissance On, ahem, fleek

The_Renaissance
    The Belko Experiment
    Went in with zero expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't great but definitely worth 1.5hrs of my time, decent enough thriller/horror whatever you wanna call it.
    6/10

Fraz likes this.
  5. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    Yeah, it's not something I need to own. But after all these years of knowing about it, seeing the preview on the VHS, etc. I finally decided to just check it out and although it's definitely not my favorite movie, and seems like a weak knock off of other classic horror films, it's definitely worth a watch just once. It's a fun little movie with interesting parts and some genuine suspense (in places). I'm glad I finally saw it.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell kind of haircut Hartnett is wearing. Both in this and in H20 (same cut) it's very strange.

6. RoryFan Wears Hats

RoryFan
    I saw a bunch of stuff over the weekend.

Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead men tell no tales 6.5/10

Contrary to the terrible reviews I actually sort of enjoyed this one. It's probably the best of a bad bunch of sequels. It started to flounder a little in the second act, and the drunken Jack Sparrow act is getting really old and tired but Geoffrey Rush was great and added some much needed panache.

The Limehouse Golem 7/10

Classic who done it, every 10 minutes I took a new guess who the killer was and every time I was proved wrong until the very last minute. Very enjoyable film Bill Nighy was great as usual the only down side is I'll probably never watch it again, because of the very nature of the movie it's a one and done type of affair.

The Big Sick 8/10

It was a little slow to get going but by the time Ray Romano turned up it was firing on all cylinders. An interesting story with some very likeable characters.

7. HereticBD Gold Belt

HereticBD
    Don't Breathe

This was surprisingly decent. Very simple premise, that has a few young thugs breaking into a blind man's house in a shit hole section of Detroit(I think it was Detroit) to steal a fortune he has been rumored to be sitting on. They set up the heist, get in, and things get rocky. Once they enter the house, the movie gets intense, and it never quits. It's very effective in creating tension, as the scenarios in the house are all well thought out, and the performances are strong throughout. It's a really tight thriller, with just enough twists and turns that keeps what little plot there is, interesting.

That said, it ain't perfect. It can be quite contrived at times, as the blind guy seems to have the super human ability to always be one step ahead of the crooks, and always has the drop on them. It's contrived when a regular villain has that ability, but when it's blind guy, you have to suspend your disbelief that much further. There is also a scene near the beginning of the heist, that I don't even know why the included it, because it doesn't make any sense, and was never addressed afterwords.
    So, they break in knowing the guy is home, and plan to knock him out with some kind of improvised gas bomb. Guy goes in his room where the blind is already sleeping, he sets off the gas, closes the door, and tells everyone the guy is out cold. Five minutes later, the blind guy is up and walking around like nothing. Like, why put that scene in there, if it served no purpose?

It's got some logical hiccups here and there, and I didn't like the ending that much, but other than those gripes, it's a really solid thriller, and totally worth 90 minutes of your time.

7.5/10

8. Joseph Budden GTM Gym, Tan, Make #Elite Bets

Joseph Budden
    A Cure For Wellness -- 8/10. Really loved this. My only gripe was a few lines of dialogue that were generically cheesy. But a great mystery horror that keeps you engaged the whole time. Easily one of my favorite films this year.

9. Superbad Blue Belt

Superbad
    Wind River 8/10

Solid acting from the Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye. It was written and directed by the guy that did Sicario and Hell Or Highwater. It wasn't quite as good as those two, but not too far off either. @Dragonlordxxxxx have you seen this?

Dragonlordxxxxx likes this.
  10. DM1982 Double Yellow Card

DM1982

So you're surprised they showed a scene of them dealing with the resident and it not working?

Do you not think it's an important component of the film to have the intruders consider what to do about the owner to stop him from interrupting their heist and to deal with this potential problem?

This sets up the tense and surprising moment where, in spite of the dealing with owner by gassing him out, he pops out to jeopardize their heist. It's a horror/thriller - this was a classic horror moment. The purpose it served was to create a tense, scary moment for the intruders and the audience. I'm puzzled as to why this stumps you.

I seem to remember you having difficulty in figuring out Arrival, unless I'm mistaken, so I guess you're a little hard of thinking.

11. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    One of those films that did actually have potential to be something more but got rather stuck in the teen horror ghetto I would say.

12. HereticBD Gold Belt

HereticBD
    They gassed the dude. He's not Jason. He's just a dude. Why even have that scene, if it achieved nothing? You could've achieved the same thing with the guy being asleep, and waking up, and you wouldn't have the audience questioning why the gas didn't work on him. He was invulnerable to gas for what reason exactly? Yeah, none. Pointless scene.

I'm also just going to assume I've perma-rustled you from another thread or forum(I'm guessing the WR), because I really don't understand the hostility. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with a guy who can't conduct himself well enough in a pretty lax forum, to keep himself off dubs.

13. Jimmy Needles privileged white male

Jimmy Needles
    It - 7/10

never saw the original or knew the story so I was expecting a slasher movie. Reminded me of Super 8 and Stranger Things with the 80's kids vibe. Was hoping to be more creeped out than I was. Gonna try and catch the 1990 version for comparison I'm not a huge horror fan but I find the 'found video' genre much creepier.

14. fonzob1 Black Belt

fonzob1
    I haven't seen the new one, but I definitely feel that the Pennywise character looked more menacing in the original.

15. robbyfine White Belt

robbyfine
    "Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop: A Bad Boy Story" was the last movie I watched ( http://torrents-movies.info/ltv/films/ ). It deserves to be watched at least once. I really enjoyed watching thisstory of Comb.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  16. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    American Assassin - 6.5/10 or 7/10 (review later)

American Made starring Tom Cruise - 8/10 (review later)

After that I watched American Ninja Warrior at home.

USA! USA!

HomerThompson likes this.
  17. TheWorm Black Belt

TheWorm
    The movie about the aliens/monsters that can only be stopped by dandruff shampoo?

18. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    I wanted to see this but didn't get around to it.

Btw, didn't receive a notification for your tag. Sorry.

19. moreorless87 Gold Belt

moreorless87
    Ended up being dragged along to see The Dark Tower by someone else and supprising didn't find it that bad. I mean it has some issues inline with a lot of adpatations of more complex King stuff that ends up rather hokey onscreen but unlike say Dreamcatcher that focused on that and ended up terrible this knew it was really more of a showcase for Idris Elba and McConaughey to scenery chew.

7/10

20. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

BisexualMMA
    It was a pretty well-executed teen version of Body Snatchers. I'd give it at least a 6, maybe a 6.5.