Rasul Mirzaev obliterates Diego Nunes

Ryoto Machida

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
17-0 and destroying established vets.

Too bad we'll never see him in the UFC, or in the States in general, for that matter.

That was pretty impressive. Outstruck him and then finished him decisively. Nunes is a legit opponent.

Remember when that meant something?

Not knocking Rasul or anything, that was a great finish, but man - Nunes has really fallen off it. I wish Patricio got half the credit for doing it that Kenflo did.

WTF was Diego stance? Was he trying to emulate Lyoto Machida??

UFC needs to start doing 10 shows a year in Europe so they can bring these guys in and they can get fights. Because obviously none of them can get into the States and the UFC has basically stopped signing Russians/Eastern Euro's because of that.

Not knocking Rasul or anything, that was a great finish, but man - Nunes has really fallen off it. I wish Patricio got half the credit for doing it that Kenflo did.

I don't remember Kenny getting that much credit for it. Yea he got a title shot but that division was brand new and Kenny had done a lot at LW. I always thought Nunes was a bit overrated, never really beat anyone (Brown was washed and Manny meh) and the FW division at the time was pretty weak.

Nunes isn't in his prime anymore but he certainly isn't a pushover. And I gave Pitbull a lot of credit for that win.

The speed and output of those kicks coming from both sides were impressive. Throwing up 2-3 kick combos swiftly!

Mirzaev is a beast. If he didn't have a dodgy past he would be in the UFC by now.

Mirzaev is a beast. If he didn't have a dodgy past he would be in the UFC by now.
Wasn't he supposed to fight in Bellator before the news of the manslaughter came along, or am I thinking about another russian prospect?

never see him in the ufc? this fight was aired live on fightpass.

UFC needs to start doing 10 shows a year in Europe so they can bring these guys in and they can get fights. Because obviously none of them can get into the States and the UFC has basically stopped signing Russians/Eastern Euro's because of that.

I don't remember Kenny getting that much credit for it. Yea he got a title shot but that division was brand new and Kenny had done a lot at LW. I always thought Nunes was a bit overrated, never really beat anyone (Brown was washed and Manny meh) and the FW division at the time was pretty weak.
I think UFC signed three Russian fighters since the January of this year (Antigulov, Smolyakov, Sosnovskiy). There is also three signed guys who still didn't fought (Khaliev, Edilov, Makhov).
And from what i can remember guys like Goltsov, Pavlovich, Emeev, Vasilevsky, Yandiev turned down UFC contracts.
It's kinda far from "basically stopped signing".

Also, didn't Nunes get robbed in his last bellator fight? I remember being pretty surprised at the result.

I think UFC signed three Russian fighters since the January of this year (Antigulov, Smolyakov, Sosnovskiy). There is also three signed guys who still didn't fought (Khaliev, Edilov, Makhov).
And from what i can remember guys like Goltsov, Pavlovich, Emeev, Vasilevsky, Yandiev turned down UFC contracts.
It's kinda far from "basically stopped signing".

Relax Boris. They've been bringing in far fewer Russian Fighters lately and the ones they've brought in have been ass.

Yeah Mirzaev is clearly an awesome fighter but no chance of him ever fighting for a major promotion.

Back