Raspberry Pi 3 released with new hardware at the same price. Update: new Pi 3+ released

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
The 900MHz 32-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU complex has been replaced by a custom-hardened 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53. Combining a 33% increase in clock speed with various architectural enhancements, this provides a 50-60% increase in performance in 32-bit mode versus Raspberry Pi 2, or roughly a factor of ten over the original Raspberry Pi.
All of the connectors are in the same place and have the same functionality, and the board can still be run from a 5V micro-USB power adapter. This time round, we’re recommending a 2.5A adapter if you want to connect power-hungry USB devices to the Raspberry Pi.

And the biggest adds of all is integrated 802.11n, bluetooth 4.1, and it's 64 bit.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

rasp-pi-3-board.png

It sucks because I got my RP2 a few months ago. It's also ok since it's my traveling gaming emulator.

It sucks because I got my RP2 a few months ago. It's also ok since it's my traveling gaming emulator.

I'm still using the original version as a Kodi machine. I'll upgrade to the 3rd gen once they get the OS bugs worked out if there is any

And the biggest adds of all is integrated 802.11n, bluetooth 4.1, and it's 64 bit.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

rasp-pi-3-board.png
This thanks to IoT and Microsoft corp. Microsoft has become a major contributor to the Pi foundation. They been quietly building a tighter relationship with the foundation due to Linux in roads. There is a rumor that Microsoft is developing a new OS that is completely designed around the concepts of IoT an intelligent machines. They don't want people abandoning Microsoft for alternative solutions. They are not waiting for Linux Foundation to launch a new IoT foundation. Linus Torvalds has said current OS are not the best solutions for IoT and that an effort should be made to make an OS better suited for the Internet of things.

This thanks to IoT and Microsoft corp. Microsoft has become a major contributor to the Pi foundation. They been quietly building a tighter relationship with the foundation due to Linux in roads. There is a rumor that Microsoft is developing a new OS that is completely designed around the concepts of IoT an intelligent machines. They don't want people abandoning Microsoft for alternative solutions. They are not waiting for Linux Foundation to launch a new IoT foundation. Linus Torvalds has said current OS are not the best solutions for IoT and that an effort should be made to make an OS better suited for the Internet of things.

I've read little bits and pieces about Microsoft getting more and more involved with the Pi, but what exactly they're doing isn't talked about much. It seems like they're working on bigger things with the Pi that they haven't released to the public yet.
I think in the next couple years you're going to see ARM processors get even more popular.

They're getting there performance wise for everyday use
The A53 is beefed up version of the A7, offering similar performance to the Cortex A9 but using up to 40% less power
The impressive thing about the A53 is that the processors peak performance should be somewhere around that of the A9 quad-core processor in the Galaxy S3.
http://www.androidauthority.com/big-little-a53-a57-vs-s4-pro-tegra-4-exynos-5-octa-155040/

It is interesting. We have a team dedicated to using win10 on the iot devices. I havent seen any engineers working on a new os for them, and we are pushing pretty hard to show how it will work with win10. In all honesty though, developers are not using it that much. They are using Linux on them. That's what I use in mine.

How does this compare to the Intel Compute stick (and other similar devices)?

I was always under the impression that the Atom processors were significantly faster than the Cortex processors in Rasberri Pi, but I haven't been keeping up with the latest developments.

I was always under the impression that the Atom processors were significantly faster than the Cortex processors in Rasberri Pi, but I haven't been keeping up with the latest developments.

I haven't found any comparisons between the 2 yet but I've seen it's supposed to be equal to a Galaxy S3. For basic browsing I think it would be fine and it'll stream 1080p. There's no Netflix app, HBO Go app, etc though.
I'd still recommend a stick for a noob though. It's not hard to copy an iso to a micro sd card but when you run into a problem you're going to be looking for help from a smaller community.

TBH right now if I was looking at a stick I'd pick up this for $90 with the slickdeals coupon.
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...C121mvpom/Uotg+ItrtD0q5AwUZ5Zw=&puid=db2cedda.

• Processor: Intel Celeron J1800 Processor (1M Cache, up to 2.58 GHz)
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • 32GB of Solid State Storage
  • 2GB(1x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
  • AC Wifi Bluetooth 4.1
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Certified Refurb

TBH right now if I was looking at a stick I'd pick up this for $90 with the slickdeals coupon.
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&key=h8mzvZMTkl5WzC121mvpom/Uotg+ItrtD0q5AwUZ5Zw=&puid=db2cedda.

• Processor: Intel Celeron J1800 Processor (1M Cache, up to 2.58 GHz)
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • 32GB of Solid State Storage
  • 2GB(1x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
  • AC Wifi Bluetooth 4.1
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Certified Refurb

That's seems to be a good price - I'm having a hard time finding data on how the J1800 compares with Z3775 and cherry trail atoms (Passmark says its faster, but it falls behind in other benchmarks).

I actually managed to snag 2 x Lenovo Ideacenter Sticks (z3775 atom, 2 gigs of ram) for $100 back around Christmas. Haven't gotten around to doing anything with them though - my tv already has a HTPC, and I rarely need a pocket sized PC on the go.

If touchscreen monitors come down more in price, then I may try a DIY project to put a PC in the kitchen.

Karlie with a Pi 3. :)

No model she is going to school for computer science.

27695AA900000578-3032730-image-m-86_1428615462578.jpg

27695AB000000578-3032730-image-m-88_1428615493800.jpg

27695ACB00000578-3032730-image-m-89_1428615512208.jpg

She sponsors kids going to Flatiron school in New York.

Modeling photo.
index.php

Last edited:
Is there a good transparent case for this that has enough space inside for heatsink + fan where the port holes actually are properly aligned?

I've read reviews where they say you can't put in the Micro SD card with case on and you can't have the card in while assembling the case due to bad alignment/clearance.

Is there a good transparent case for this that has enough space inside for heatsink + fan where the port holes actually are properly aligned?

I've read reviews where they say you can't put in the Micro SD card with case on and you can't have the card in while assembling the case due to bad alignment/clearance.

710Ml8ELsQL._SL1000_.jpg

link

I've seen a handful of cases that look very similar, but under different brand names. Are these fake copycats or are they the exact same under different brand names? I'm wondering about the fit.

I've seen a handful of cases that look very similar, but under different brand names. Are these fake copycats or are they the exact same under different brand names? I'm wondering about the fit.
I don't know. Given the huge DIY community and the open source source nature of the Pi, I'd bet money that a hobbyist designed the case and uploaded the plans somewhere. A chinese company used those plans and started pumping them out.
I wouldn't expect the fan to be very quiet. There's a baby Noctua 40mm 5v if you decide to replace the fan down the road.
Are you getting a case with a fan just because you want it? The Pi doesn't really need fans or heat sinks unless you're constantly slamming it.

I don't know. Given the huge DIY community and the open source source nature of the Pi, I'd bet money that a hobbyist designed the case and uploaded the plans somewhere. A chinese company used those plans and started pumping them out.
I wouldn't expect the fan to be very quiet. There's a baby Noctua 40mm 5v if you decide to replace the fan down the road.
Are you getting a case with a fan just because you want it? The Pi doesn't really need fans unless you're constantly slamming it.
Hawaii can get hot. I saw a webpage show a graph of nothing vs. heatsink vs. heatsink + fan which was the best for coolness.

https://microsoft.github.io/ELL/tutorials/Active-cooling-your-Raspberry-Pi-3/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/18/active_cooling_a_raspberry_pi_3/

I would have guessed the AdaFruit fan was the one to buy, then saw other ones that looked very similar and read reviewers say they broke after a short period. I'm also reading the fan using 5V can be loud, but at 3.xV it's quieter.

I recently bought a big heatsink for my cable signal booster, which was really hot, almost too hot to touch for longer than a few seconds, and with the heatsink, the heatsink is noticeably slightly warm and the signal booster is noticeably less hot. I'm guessing the extreme heat eventually caused my first signal booster to stop working.

Last edited:
What's a good controller to use? The first time I tried the PS4 Dualshock 4 via USB, it ended up freezing and had to unplug power. It also didn't seem to do the controller quick save state, but that may have been me brain farting using start instead of select.

I got the PS3 controller to work via Bluetooth, then when I tried to turn on PS3 with it, it was ignored and had to power on via PS3 console's button and connect controller via USB cable. I'm guessing you can only pair these things with one machine exclusively at a time.

Back