Rashad Evans Retires from MMA

The Machida lost hurt him and the Jones loss made it worse.

they were certainly setbacks but he bounced back from Lyoto with some great wins (the Davis fight was one of his best performances ever and he beat a still quite dangerous Rampage). And the Jones fight was lopsided but Rashad was actually one of the guys who fared better than most in terms of not getting put in a position where he was close to getting stopped.

His career really didn't falter until Glover put him down. After that, the guy was not the same. I don't even think it was necessarily because of that quick knockout. I think it was more just after that we saw Rashad age significantly in terms of cage years.

It is what it is. I'm glad he's retiring because there are certainly other avenues he can pursue both in coaching and broadcasting.

giphy.gif

Too bad he couldn’t actually retire at a younger age retroactively.

Well Chuck retired several years after he probably should have.

Big fan. His decline was weird but fast. He went to shit pretty quick. Great career tho and much respect. That Chuck KO is my favorite to this day.

I mean the last few fights showed how Rashad fell off.

The Rashad of six years ago would not have lost to Alvey and Dan Kelly, I can tell you that.

But no one can take the legendary career away from him. His list of wins in his prime is nuts. Not only did he viciously knock out Chuck and brutally beat down Forrest to take the title, he also beat Rampage, and manhandled two very strong wrestlers in Phil Davis and Chael. He nearly beat a still game Tito and then put him away in the rematch a few years later.

It's crazy that his most dominant victory in nearly two years, over Chael, ended up being the final victory of his career. But the fact remains that the guy had some awesome fights and huge achievements.

Wish him all the best in retirement. Glad we will continue to see him do analyst work.

Rashad was a top LHW in his prime, but his career was certainly not legendary.

He retired so that in 6 months he can sign a contract with Bellator. Seems to be the thing to do these days.

Back