rashad evans discusses the 52 blocks system

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
That really doesn't look like it would be effective against an experienced boxer throwing clean, straight combinations while standing in the pocket, but I've been wrong before.

Apples and oranges.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion it is absolutely impossible to compare 2 systems of fighting. I don't even try anymore. There are only three factors that determine match outcome between two fighters:

1. What rules the match is fought under. The style which rules most closely match the match rules has a great advantage.
2. The genius of fighters to fight matters a billion times more than any style.
3. The extent to which each fighter has specifically trained to counter/nullify his opponent's techniques.

52 blocks look like you are trying to swap flies away from your face.

52 blocks has been proven to be a fraudulent system.

by who- i have heard of it many times from numerous non published older ex cons and i have heard sab judah, mike tyson and now rashad evans mention it... so imma have to go w/them over u, no offense

Apples and oranges.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion it is absolutely impossible to compare 2 systems of fighting. I don't even try anymore. There are only three factors that determine match outcome between two fighters:

1. What rules the match is fought under. The style which rules most closely match the match rules has a great advantage.
2. The genius of fighters to fight matters a billion times more than any style.
3. The extent to which each fighter has specifically trained to counter/nullify his opponent's techniques.

that is it, some people are better fighters naturally; there are guys w/no training who will still beat the ish out of some trained people cus they ain't fighters, they have skills but no ability to apply under fire.

great post

ive never heard of 52 blocks...

-__-

but i saw most of the vids, it is interesting

I'd like to see a pro at 52 blocks face an amature boxer.

They'd get laid out.

52 hand blocks is ghetto breakdancing with your hands to throw the person off when your trying to hit them. Other than that, it's just putting your forearms in fromt of your face in different positions so their fists don't make it to your nose.

It's like crazy monkey, but with a hip hop element, and a lot more stupid. and less useful.

i'm not sure why people like to do these boxing vs. <insert name> comparisons.

As an overall style of course hand to hand boxing rules all - I mean it is a multi billion dollar industry with 100 years of olympic and professional fighting with 8 figure fight purses. If someone could find a way to beat boxing offense and defense within their rules they would be a multi-millionaire.

You'd think that would be enough motivation $$$$$ for a superior pugilistic style to come up and be 'better than boxing' right?

Come on guys - use common sense. With genius trainers and 30 million dollars a fight going to the De La Hoyas, it would be utterly stupid if they did not optimize boxing to the absolute limit of humanly possible fist-only fighting ability.

never heard of the system before this thread... looks like at one point it might have been effective, but too many people elaborated on it too much maybe.... i dunno.
just seems like alot of unneccesary stuff in there.

I got an idea of what this is all about from the first video with Rashad, it reminds me of street basketball. I can see the element of surprise and or deception working in your favor but Im fairly sure there are more effective ways to get things done.

If its stupid, but works it aint stupid.

I got an idea of what this is all about from the first video with Rashad, it reminds me of street basketball. I can see the element of surprise and or deception working in your favor but Im fairly sure there are more effective ways to get things done.

If its stupid, but works it aint stupid.

i think along the same lines, streetball is alot of unecessary movement, flashy type moves and attacks that are built on a certain amount of athleticism/attributes and a definite skillset (in the case of streetball, handles). You have to have a certain amount of skill to even be able to eff apply these mvoves against below avg or avg fighters (recreational (hs) level ballers or small/low level college players). But to really be eff against any skilled or exp baller u have ti have a legitimate skillset, otherwise ur limited to getting off moves; but really being beat or neutralized.

example-hotsauce from and1 was called out by some straight up/preppy white guy, saying the stuff he did would get the ball taken and that the guy wouldn't be able to get back him. Not hotsauce has the best handles in streetball and has broken down numerous average joes and some college players, he can't beat them in a game but can often make them look silly be getting off moves and making them lunge clumsily/lose their balance. Well he was doing this and making the white guy look to slow and off balance and uncoordinated; but the guy was aggressive and fundamental, an hot sauce couldn't get past him, he was smooth flashy fast and made the other guy look like a fool. BUT he didn't get past him..

im sure 52 blocks is eff i watched all the video, some of the tech look unorthodox; but functional, maybe not against the best skilled fighters wrestlers/boxers/miay thai/ mma/ etc. But when faced w/guys of limited or varying skills or phys ability, well then yeah they still look unecessary; but they are able to consistently get off "moves" and win more or less, as the guys skillsets/abilities improve, so do their ability to lessen the "moves" gotten off on them by 52 block guys. I watched youtube of the young 52blk artist against trained people, just light sparring and some medium level contact sparring or competition against some students; as well as some non 52 block fighters/stylist and while he looks good and seems to have legitimate applicable skills. He doesn't look as good or dominant as you think he would; an the guys he is facing who seem aware of have some training that allows them options or the ability to recognize and attack openings.

so i can't say its garbage, obviously guys like judah/evans/tyson and others have used it eff; an vouch for it, but their ability to apply it has alot to do w/their exceptional traditional skills and incredible physical abilities (handspeed/footspeed/timing/exp/athleticism/ power). Same w/nba level ball players who use elements of the streetball in their real games allen iverson manu ginobli jason williams rafer alston baron davis. Now guys w/out these foundations can make it eff against lesser opp and if they have an certain tech competence and exp can probably do so agaisnt a certain level of trained (recreational) fighter/martial artist; maybe even a competent one. But nine times out of ten that results in them being outclasses cus of an emphasis on a certain element of the game and a lack of high level sparring training etc or opp of competent skill level. A 52 blk guy can say i destroyed so and so who balls or who used to play and some guys are legit; but its hard to measure or gauge those guys. JUST LIKE IN STREETFIGHTS, u may beat or outclass a guy w/some training, some skills; but is low level, mediocre or avg at best, so they feel that they can compete w/legitimate competitive stylist consistently...based on their exp w/lesser fighters/etc,

Back