Raquel Pennington wasn’t impressed by Amanda Nunes or Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“I wasn’t impressed with either one of them,” Pennington said on Monday’s episode of The MMA Hour.

“I don’t feel like either one of them really went out there and did anything. The highlights made the fight look a lot more exciting than what it really was,” she continued. “Amanda, she had center control the entire time and I guess if you really want to break it down - I haven’t broken it down yet to see all the strikes landing and stuff and I didn’t pay attention to all that, I was just kind of watching the competition because I do believe I’m the No. 1 contender now. So that’s kind of more of what I was paying attention to.”

This was the second encounter between Nunes and Shevchenko, with their first being a three-round affair at UFC 196that Nunes won by unanimous decision. Nunes was more aggressive in that fight, though she appeared to tire in the third where she had to fend off a furious comeback from Shevchenko.

Nunes went on to claim the 135-pound crown, while Shevchenko defeated Holly Holm and Julianna Pena to earn her rematch. Pennington was surprised that her peers took such a cautious approach in what could have been a golden opportunity for them to make a statement.

“I just figured, with the close fight that they had before, that Valentina would come out given this opportunity and put on a bigger performance, and Amanda obviously wanting to keep the belt, she would go out there and try to dominate,” Pennington said. “But to see them just kind of go back and forth and stand in front of each other, and it was kind of annoying me with the fact that they were bragging about her cardio and stuff because in my opinion everyone can stand in front of each other and do that for five rounds.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...anda-nunes-or-valentina-shevchenko-at-ufc-215

Agree or disagree?

Pennington is a real sleeper. Her record is deceiving. 5-2 in the UFC and both losses were split decisions.

Who WAS impressed

I agree but both would smash her , not the kinda smash shes thinking either , well maybe Nunes she's seems pretty happy with Nina tho .

Only legit thing Rocky has done is land Torres
Keep the lioness out ur mouth
200w.gif

I agree with Rocky, and hope she shows up when it's her time to shine (she's solid but is sometimes too tentative when she should be more aggressive). Also, congratulations to her and Tecia!

55555.jpg

Not in the slightest. Broner might possibly be the dumbest boxer in the game that gets by on his natural athleticism, and quick hands. I think Conor is the much smarter fighter, and boxer.
whats With Chicks Wanting To Dress Up Like A Preppy Boy

I agree with Rocky, and hope she shows up when it's her time to shine (she's solid but is sometimes too tentative when she should be more aggressive). Also, congratulations to her and Tecia!

55555.jpg

I have never been impressed with her either, both Amanda and Val would beat her ass

I don't think Raquel is wrong in her fight assessment. She seems like a nice chick too.

WMMA need to go back to Invicta just complete garbage

Pennington is a real sleeper. Her record is deceiving. 5-2 in the UFC and both losses were split decisions.

Yes she is, also her fight with Tate was very impressive too. She was clearly much stronger than miesha and bullied her while showing one of the more solid boxing skill sets in the division at the same time.

I can see her and Nunes putting on a great fight

Yes she is, also her fight with Tate was very impressive too. She was clearly much stronger than miesha and bullied her while showing one of the more solid boxing skill sets in the division at the same time.

I can see her and Nunes putting on a great fight

Pennington has solid fundamentals and good boxing skills in the division, the problem for her is speed kills. She doesn't have the explosive speed of Nunes or Shevchenko and both of them are also better strikers than she is. A couple years ago I'd give her a decent chance against both fighters, Nunes' striking & footwork wasn't as good as it is now and she tended to blow her wad early, Rocky's toughness and good fundamentals would give her a chance of surviving early and beating a gassed out Nunes. Shevchenko back then was still figuring out MMA and making rookie mistakes, lots of chances for Pennington to grapple her to death.

These days, good luck. Nunes has figured out footwork, distance management, and managing her gas tank. Raquel's gonna have a bad day closing the range to land strikes or grapple against Nunes, she's got a speed disadvantage and will have to close through Amanda's fast accurate strikes to do her work. She'll fight well, but I expect her to get plastered or stuck on the outside eating punches. Val now has MMA mostly figured out (except how judges score things) and she has the best footwork, speed, and distance control in the division. Pennington will get stuck on the outside and picked apart, it'll pretty much be a replay of the Holm vs. Shevchenko fight.

“I wasn’t impressed with either one of them,” Pennington said on Monday’s episode of The MMA Hour.

“I don’t feel like either one of them really went out there and did anything. The highlights made the fight look a lot more exciting than what it really was,” she continued. “Amanda, she had center control the entire time and I guess if you really want to break it down - I haven’t broken it down yet to see all the strikes landing and stuff and I didn’t pay attention to all that, I was just kind of watching the competition because I do believe I’m the No. 1 contender now. So that’s kind of more of what I was paying attention to.”

This was the second encounter between Nunes and Shevchenko, with their first being a three-round affair at UFC 196that Nunes won by unanimous decision. Nunes was more aggressive in that fight, though she appeared to tire in the third where she had to fend off a furious comeback from Shevchenko.

Nunes went on to claim the 135-pound crown, while Shevchenko defeated Holly Holm and Julianna Pena to earn her rematch. Pennington was surprised that her peers took such a cautious approach in what could have been a golden opportunity for them to make a statement.

“I just figured, with the close fight that they had before, that Valentina would come out given this opportunity and put on a bigger performance, and Amanda obviously wanting to keep the belt, she would go out there and try to dominate,” Pennington said. “But to see them just kind of go back and forth and stand in front of each other, and it was kind of annoying me with the fact that they were bragging about her cardio and stuff because in my opinion everyone can stand in front of each other and do that for five rounds.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...anda-nunes-or-valentina-shevchenko-at-ufc-215

Agree or disagree?

While I don't see Pennington being any threat to either Nunes or Valentina, I DO agree with her assessment of the fight

Back